Customs: Transformers Based Custom Computer Case

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by JavaJim, May 5, 2011.

1. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    I've always built my own PCs, and decided I'm finally going to build a new PC this summer. Used to build one every year, then every other year, and then this one has lasted 6 years (dual raid 0 Raptor HD's granted long life to the PC). Don't really need one, as the computer still runs all current apps and even latest games such as StarCraft II at highest resolutions (upgraded graphics card to best available last year), but... well, I just plain want one. :) 

So, with me really getting into the kitbashing thing, I'm going to build my first custom case this go around. I think the best thing to do will be some type of Cybertron building or something large, though I'm 100% open to other ideas and hoping to get input from the community. I'll be going through my comics and transformer art books this weekend for inspiration to start making plans for it.

I figured someone had to have done this before some where, but couldn't find too many Transformer based computer case mods, which really surprised me. Perhaps my googlefu is lacking. In any event, I've attached the few relevant images related to custom computer mods and a few other nice designs to help spur people's imaginations as to what could be done.

Start throwing out your ideas folks. If you can dream it, I may be able to build it. :) 

Attached Files:

2. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Awesome! Make one that look's like The Borg Ship!

3. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    The Borg ship, as in Star Trek? Definitely could do that as it's cube based. However I want this to be Transformers based as I want it to match my computer / display room, which is going to be nearly 100% transformers when it's all said and done. :) 

4. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Unicron's decapitated head from the 86 movie.

5. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I've thinking about building my next computer tower to be The Allspark from the 2007 live action movie, always thought it would look badass.

That may be an idea for you to use if you want to use it, cause I honestly doubt that I will ever do it now.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    You should make Teletran-1 :) 

7. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Great idea, the matrix maybe? or the all spark case from animated? Metroplex's head? Autobot city earth? The Ark? Some sort of throne for MPs? All just ideas, I've no idea about the practical end of things :p 

Personally I'd go wild for one based on the Tardis, but that's a Whoniverse item lol.

Great idea man, I look forward to seeing this when yo get round to it, whatever you go with.

8. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I love this idea, I might have to take this one from ya Allen.

9. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The original Nzxt guardian case (wich i have since 2004 and still kicking major ass!) could be modded to look like many different faceplated TFs (specially Soundwave if you get fue blue version)

[​IMG]

http://www.whiningdog.net/Reviews/PCs/Cases/20040617-NZXTGuardian/index.php

The case its long out of production, but they popout on eBay fron time to time. You can always get an used for the front and electronics and combine with a modern case :) 

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  10. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    autobot city

11. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Love me some Dr. Who, though I'm having a very hard time getting used to the younger Dr. Who. Love this idea, and if I weren't going with the Transformer theme, I think this would easily be my next choice.

12. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Searched for some images on google, but couldn't find anything that seemed to fit a case design well. Think the screens / lighting would be awesome for a case mod. My last case is tricked out with lights.

Keep in mind that a computer motherboard is the main size limiter and the smallest you can get is a ATX, MiniATX (size of my last, and Shuttle PCs if you're familiar with them), and MicroATX (not sure this is feasible for a gaming PC, currently researching technology to verify).

Here's a list of form factors and sizes for those not familiar with them so they can better understand the constraints I'll be working under. Computer form factor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[​IMG]

This will be a development / gaming machine with a dual RAID setup (4 HD setup for operations, 2 for backup). So while I intend to keep the size as small as possible, things may have to be fairly spread out.

Note: I will be 'building' the computer case from metal, wood, or plastic (more than likely all 3). (envision metal base for MB, with plastic seal, and wood enclosing. I will not be using a case purchased from a website in any shape or form. :) 

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  13. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Hold on guys, I've got it.....Wheelie. :lol 

I like the All spark cube, but it'd have to be at a angle, just a box sitting flat would be boring.

I also think soundwave in alt mode would look cool.

Randy!

14. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Like the idea of a head. Found a WFC Megatron head that I though would be a fairly good fit, and fairly easy to shape. Someone's already done Optimus, and there's already a Matrix of Leadership one (see the pics in 1st thread).

With regards to autobot city, are you referring to something along the lines of this page --> Heroic Decepticon: C-114: Fortress Maximus starring in Autobot City: Earth

To be honest, I initially wanted to do something from Cybertron, but I haven't been able to find anything that really stood out to me which is so odd considering how large Cybertron is (it's a planet!) and how much time the Transformers spent there. If anyone finds a good Cybertron 'location' pic (not of the planet itself), please post it.

15. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Agreed, and a lot of custom etching to get it right. It would be a lot of etching work for not a lot of 'wow' factor. Like traditional case mod geeks, I'm looking for something with a lot of lights (even LCDs if applicable). Teletran 1 is actually one of the suggestions so far that really fits that goal. Frenzy Rumble just finished a diaorama that is what I would probably want to do instead of Teletran 1 ---> http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/398012-masterpiece-decepticon-diorama.html Hate to copy this idea (probably won't), but inspiring none the less.

16. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
  17. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

hey are the nano itx available anywhere?

18. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

What about cybertron? Lots of lights, very unique, and it'd be bad ass to have the motherboard be vector sigma. :thumb 

Randy!

19. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

I dread to think how that thing sets up your electricity bill.

20. BumphGb

BumphGb Active Member

How about a bust of G1 Shockwave? Fairly simple design with plenty of room for components and the clear front window would look cool with glowing purple interior. [​IMG]