Transformers as gods?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Feb 5, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Sentinel Prime rants at Optimus Prime about how they were once treated as gods on Cybertron (“On Cybertron we were gods...” “We were gods once, all of us!”). And in the first film, Bumblebee uses a radio transmission from a gospel (“And angels shall rain down from Heaven.”). This is a homage towards G1’s Japanese title, SUPER GOD ROBOT FORCE.

It raises an interesting concept to explore: what if the Transformers were early gods on Earth? It’s possible: they are a race of shapeshifters, and also long-lived immortals (or at least they can be killed only temporarily), and this in some cultures would make them deity/demigod material. The concept has already been looked at in ROTF (Transformer gods, the Dynasty of Primes and the Fallen, who fought on Earth for the fate of mankind) and CYBERTRON (the Autobot Crosswise was looked upon in medieval times as a black knight who hunted monsters, aka Decepticons).

A future film could look at this concept in more detail perhaps: maybe at an archeological site a clue is discovered that points to an ancient civilization having worshipped Transformers, and sets off another hunt for either a hidden Transformer or a Transformer relic. It’d be something like a mix of THOR and PROMETHEUS (though that film hasn’t released yet): encounters with spacefarers and their tech or something. It’d need to try hard NOT to be like INDIANA JONES 4, though.

I think it could only work however in Japan, where they have a pantheon of a million or something: I’m sure the Transformers could fit in somewhere in Japan, which was their birthplace anyway. Or maybe Wales, with its wealth of Celtic legends and stuff; or even Israel, where they talked about golems (titanic giant statues). It’d take a good writer, but I think it might work.

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I very much doubt this.

3. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

This never made sense to me: Who exactly were the Transformers gods to on Cybertron? To be a "god" implies being revered by a lesser being, right?

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    The Primes were Gods. Optimus, Sentinel and whoever else was alive back during the war.

Also remember Sentinel is kinda fucking insane, so take his words as a "rough approximation" of what he's actually saying and not a literal meaning.

5. cliffjumperftw1

cliffjumperftw1 I have no idea what I'm doing.

interesting theory...

6. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    You're why wikis have an undo button, aren't you?

7. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don’t think he means that they were literally Gods in the traditional sense of the word. It’s like when people talk of a really powerful historical figure or sports star; it’s not unusual for them to use the word God to describe them. I think basically what he means was that they were all powerful, and on Earth they’re just seen as “robots” and “machines”, which is one hell of a step down.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The translation of Choujin Masterforce as "Supergod" has a lot of cultural differences in it, in terms of what connotations the term "god" has in Japan vs. in the west.

Sentinel sees himself as a god, especially compared to the humans he holds in contempt, because of the highly hierarchical viewpoint he has regarding the place of the Primes. He's most likely exaggerating things by a wide margin, but he might have a point in how the Primes basically WERE a caste exploiting and lording over other cybertronians.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    That would explain why Optimus and Sentinel almost annhilate everything that crosses their path.

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I think Sentinel's rant was more along the lines of "we were gods once, we would not have needed to hide among these fleshlings, we would have ruled the cosmos".

Or it's simply outright delusions of being something much greater than he or Optimus or the rest of the Transformers really are - I found it really gave an edge to his whole villainous persona.

11. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    This, though Optimus appears to be quite modest regarding his status. Doesn't run around the base screaming "I'M IN CHARGE, I'M THE GOD, NEH NEH," as Sentinel does...

But aren't they more demigods? Being the descendants of Primus?

12. Atlas42

Atlas42 Banned

i think sentinel was slowly losing it.

13. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Probably, but "we were demigods once, some of us!" doesn't have the same impact.

14. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    Well, no, of course not. But technically that's what they are. It doesn't help that Sentinel's a little derpy upstairs, too. He exaggerates quite a bit in the film.

15. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Maybe it has something to do with that table-sized dent in his noggin?

16. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    Yeah, maybe.

17. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Bumblebee was just using what was available through his radio to convey the point that there were more good guys on the way and that they'd be falling from the sky.

And Sentinel was a Prime talking to Prime about being a Prime, in addition to...

It could work with basically ANY culture. Catholics have their countless angels and saints and crap just and even hardcore Christian "monotheists" are still worshipping a TRINITY, with tons of angel/demigods beneath him/them, for instance.

And, like you said, the whole ancient-culture-worshipping-TFs thing was exactly what was going on in TF:RotF with the Fallen's head-crest and fixation on the Sun clearly having influenced early Egyptian culture...but, yeah, it would be AWESOME to see that get more attention and be more thoroughly explored.

I'm ALL for it.

\m/ \m/

18. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    This.

And this.

Sentinel is merely commenting on the Transformers' status on Earth compared to their status on Cybertron.

What were they on Cybertron? ALL POWERFUL BEINGS OF IMMENSE STRENGTH AND S**T.
    What were they on Earth? Called "machines" by these small, weak insect-like flesh creatures whom they call "friends".

Think about how advanced the Transformers are. Being called a "machine" to them is demeaning. It's like calling us humans "mere monkeys", or even worse, "insects". Is that a term of endearment? Nope. Machines. Yes, they are alien robots, but even on Cybertron they probably had simple machines that did laborious tasks. Assembly lines and whatnot. A machine is many steps down from what Sentinel believes all Transformers are.

19. starscream90

starscream90 decepticon

he said Gods i thought he said Guards lol

20. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Heart Like a Hand Grenade

News Credits:
    the label "god" can be the feeling of being kings of your time, just on a higher level.