Transformers Art book -recommendations please

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by predian, Feb 23, 2008.

1. predian

predian Member

Hi, I would like some advise for what to buy for the best selection of Transformers artwork. I have a small collection of the comics and love the art, particulalry the covers and the type of images produced as posters. The titles I have found on amazon are:
    The Art of Idw's Transformers,
    Transformers: The Best Of Don Figueroa,
    Transformers: The Best of Simon Furman.
    From the reviews I have read I am assuming that the two Best of books are mainly republished comic stories, is this correct? I can't find any samples of their contents. I also found the Visual Works on ebay but it has far less pages than the others. The ART of Idw looks to be the best for what I'm looking for, any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

Look for "Transformers Genesis"

3. Matt Nelson

Matt Nelson Sinner

Transformers Generations is quite good, at least as an artistic reference resource...

Matt

4. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

No, don't get Transformers Genesis. It's kind of overrated...it's basically glorified fanart, and because it's out of print and never really had much availability, sellers ask stupidly high prices for it ($200+). The thing is, nobody ever actually PAYS that much...the only times I've ever seen it sell it was for less than $50. Even at that I don't really think it's worth it.

The Art of IDW's Transformers is pretty cool. The design and layout is very professional...more like a real art book. It's laid out by artist and has a little interview with most of them. It's a mixture of cover art, sketches, full pages, and concept art. Do understand it's more professional and artsy than most things we're used to in the fandom...there are pages with a lot of white space used to emphasize the visual effect on the image. It's visually appealing, but I've seen some fans who don't "get" good design complain about the perceived waste of space.

The Best of Simon Furman and Best of Don Figueroa are both collections of comic issues...not really what it sounds like you're looking for.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  5. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    wasnt there just a thread about this kinda stuff??

hehe

anyways...copy/pasted answer here xD

if you're lookin for pure artwork then yeah, TF:Generations is pretty awesome

but i gotta encuorage you to pick up the TF:Visual Works book. its newer and yeah. nothin but art..and boy does it rock

there's other books kinda like Generations [toy pics and art] for different series' [Binaltech, Robotmasters, Micron Legend]

i wanna pick them up too, just havent yet

They're all japanese mind you but i really love the japanese styling of mecha art and it looks great. They're all just really really great books.

And i shouldnt have to tell you to get the IDW art books and stuff, hehehe... xD

i've never looked into the Genesis book. im sure its neat and all, i've seen some scans of some pretty sweet artwork from it but yeah...i cant say good or bad about the book. havent seen it.

i tell you what though, we need more coffee table type TF art books..thatd be so awesome

Genesis done right or something lol

6. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

I went to 4 years of one of the best art schools in the country for Illustration and design, and so did my wife. I "get" good design, and there WAS a ton of wasted space and some poor design. Making 1/3-1/2 a page blank at the expense of image detail is not a good idea. Nor is scanning a comic, blowing it up larger so its fuzzy and the dot rosette pattern shows up. Which there also is in the books.

Overall though I really liked them, Genesis and IDW art books are great. The Don book would be my Favorite but I have all the issues in it in various forms already.

7. predian

predian Member

Thanks for all the helpful responses, I have a large collection of film related making of and art of books. I'll steer clear of the two Best ofs as I'd rather try for the original comic issues.
    Now I know what to expect I'll go for the Art of IDW and Visual Works and will look out for the Genesis book at the right price.
    I've really spent hours trawling through web pages trying to find the right advice, should have known the community wouldn't let me down. Cheers.

8. STL

STL Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't go wrong with the Visual Works or Genesis book. They're too of the better ones.

The Art of IDW is a bit of a letdown imo. There is a bit of annoyance with wasted space but the primary issues are the dialogue boxes which remain on page when IDW really should have the unlettered art lying around somewhere. If it's an artbook keep it that. I don't want to see the dialogue when I already own the comics in three different formats.

9. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

I have Genesis. it's well worth it to track down. i have a digital copy of generations, i need to get a real copy, and i'd love to be able to afford more... but i'm trying to save money for more important things now.