Transformers Armada Battle for Cybertron Game

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Sep 27, 2011.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

First off for anyone thinking this should be in the video game section the game I'm referring to is an apparently little known board game as I can't seem to find it on the wiki. There's a Star Wars version of the same game called "Star Wars Epic Duals Game" I'd really like to find more of these games because the way they're set up you can play with both games at the same time. That means the more versions of this game they make the more fun it is to play it.

Each game comes with 2 double sided boards. If you only have the Transformers game that gives you 4 different battle fields to play on. There are obstacles on the board that you can't move threw but depending on if it's a pit or a rock blocking your path you can shoot threw it if you have a ranged character to shoot with. With both games I like to use the desert maps because both Transformers and Star Wars come with their own little desert map that you can set side by side and move from one board to the other without it looking odd. The board you play on has set places where each character has to start the game from so depending on where you play your starting point could already be a disadvantage. There's also one board in the Star Wars game where one of the obstacles you can't more or shoot threw is Jango Fett's ship on the platform where he fought Obi-wan in episode 2, playing on that specific battle field actually gives a significant attack advantage to anyone playing as Jango Fett.

The way you attack or defend in the game is determined by the placement of your character on the board and the cards in your hand. There are three types of cards. Ordinary cards which all characters have is just a picture of the character that can use that card and two numbers on it. One number in red if you're attacking and the other in blue if you're attacking. The second type of card is an ability card which may have both attacking and defending abilities but some times you can only do one or the other but along with your attack or defense there's also writing at the bottom of the card that tells you things like this attack is worth X more if you're playing on Jango Fett's landing platform. Some of these cards won't even have a number in the red or blue space, instead it will show an * and at the bottom of the card it will say that the attack is worth the number of spaces between you and the target or to roll the dice and the number you roll is the damage you deal. The last type of card is a Special card which doesn't have any red or blue numbers on it. It just has the text at the bottom of the card telling you what you can do with it. Special cards can not be defended against so if it says you're going to take 8 damage then you're going to take 8 damage. A good thing to know about special cards if you're playing both games, Starscream has a special card that lets him use other characters special cards as his own and Darth Maul has no special cards so trying to use Starscream against Darth Maul is pointless. (Darth Maul makes up for the lack of specials with an ability card that doesn't count as one of your two allowed actions on your turn so you can theoretically attack 8 times in the same turn which no other character can do.)

Aside from the game cards there also a damage sheet and several little damage counters. Each character has a set of hit points. The Star Wars game has separate game pieces for minor characters and they also show with their own hit points on the damage card for the main character. The Transformers game sense the bigger guys use their mini-con cards rather than having separate things for the mini-cons and some abilities are specific to minor characters we made up a rule that you can attack Transformers characters but they only get half the damage a minor character would normally get and this is surprisingly the only made up rule to mix the two games together. Most of the minor characters are Storm/Clone Troopers who can't do much anyway and normally get killed instantly but if you play as Han Solo you also get Chewbacca as you're minor character who is oddly stronger than the main character. If you're main character get's killed, by the official rules you're out of the game but if you're minor character gets killed you can keep playing. This is kinda crappy if you're paying as Han Solo because if Chewbacca gets killed you just lost your most powerful attack card, Han can't use it and if Han gets killed Chewy is out anyway. In think Chewbacca only has one bowcaster card in the deck and as powerful as it is it's a little unlikely to ever get it when you need it unless you strategically move away from where other players are fighting till you get that card.

The game is all about strategy and sense the attack/defend set up is a good way to learn basic math skills if you're playing this game with young kids though some games may run longer than their attention span.

Also the game is allot more simple than the long winded explanation makes it sound.

Transformers has 8 characters you can play as. (Optimus Prime, Hot Shot, Red Alert, Smokescrean, Megatron, Starscream, Cyclonus, and Demolisor.) Star Wars has 12 which include both Anikin Skywalker (With Padme) and Darth Vader (with 2 Storm Troopers) as separate characters. I'm not listing all the Star Wars characters because this is a Transformers topic, I just bring it up because I play them together and it's freaking awesome that Starscream can use the force!

I think tomorrow I'm going to go threw their cards and give you a more detailed description of what each character can do. Till then... how many of you have ever played this game with or without the Star Wars version. (To be honest I don't think the Transformers version is as much fun as the Star Wars one only because there's less characters to play with but having both makes it so much better.)

2. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Never heard of it. Sounds a bit like a card heavy attacktix game.

3. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

I love Boardgames and I have wanted that game for years.
    Most Transformers boardgames have been pretty shitty (though I have Transformers Risk and Stratego and they are decent).
    I always thought Armada Battle for Cybertron seemed pretty cool. Someday I will get a copy from eBay. I just wish it was G1 characters instead of Armada.

Another game that seems pretty cool is Beast Wars: The transmuting cardgame.

List of Transformers Board/card games: BoardGameGeek | Gaming Unplugged Since 2000

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Believe it or not, I actually own this game. Got it for christmas YEARS ago, but I never could play it because the cards were missing from the package. Outside of the cards, I've still got everything. Granted, a lot of the stuff you punch out like damage counters has been removed from the paper runners, but it's all there in near-mint condition, probably because I never got the chance to play with it alot due to the missing cards. I've also never seen anywhere that has the whole deck scanned so that I could print off my own set and finally make the game complete. If anybody knows where I could find full scans of those cards online, I'd be very grateful.

5. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That'll be this game, right?

[​IMG]

Bought it new when it came out. Never played it, mind you, but I did buy it.

6. SaberPrime

I don't know where you could find them but I do have all of them. My dad use to have a scanner however I'm not sure if it still works and his graphics card burned out like 3 days ago so I don't know when I'll be able to scan them. I'm going to pull them out and write out all the details of each card in a while so you could just grab a few playing card decks and write the information on them so you can at least play with the right stats till you can get your hands on the real cards. Check back here later, I gotta sort threw the cards before I can post them. Some of my rubber bands broke so I have some decks mixed together in the box.

Yup, that's the one and WHY HAVEN'T YOU PLAYED IT!

7. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I got one I played with + one misb :)  I liked Armada.

8. SaberPrime

Ok I'm not going to go threw all the Star Wars decks (Unless someone really wants a list of all the Star Wars Special cards that Starscream can use.) but just because I was keeping their damage counters in the same box I'll list all the characters in both games.

Megatron: 22 HP

Standard Cards: 17

Attack 1/Defend 2: 3 cards

Attack 1/Defend 4: 2 cards

Attack 2/Defend 1: 1 card

Attack 2/Defend 3: 1 card

Attack 3/Defend 1: 2 cards

Attack 3/Defend 2: 2 cards

Attack 4/Defend 1: 1 card

Attack 4/Defend 2: 3 cards

Attack 5/Defend 1: 2 cards

Ability Cards: 9

Attack 2 Leader-1 - Power (Draw 2 cards after attacking.): 4 cards

Attack 4* Mecha-Surge! Tank Time (*If Megatron is next to the defending chatacter, the attack value is 10 instead of 4.): 3 cards

Defend 10 Deceptiblock (After defending you may discard a card to draw a card.): 2 cards

Special Cards: 6

Leader-1 - Swipe (Choose an opponent to randomly discard 2 cards.): 3 cards

Leader-1 - Sniper (Choose and opponent's character. That character receives 1 Damage. Draw a Card.): 2 cards

Megatron Blast (Choose any opponent's character next to Megatron. That character receives 10 damage. You must discard 9 cards to play this card.): 1 card

Optimus Prime: 21 HP

Attack 2/Defend 1: 2 cards

Attack 2/Defend 3: 2 cards

Attack 3/Defend 3: 2 cards

Attack 4/Defend 2: 1 card

Ability Cards: 7

Attack 3* First Strike (*If Optimus Prime is next to the attacked character, the attack value of this card is 7.): 3 cards

Attack 4* Super Optimus (*If Optimus Prime is next to the attacked character, the attack value of this card is 15.): 1 card

Defend 5* Optiblock (*If Optimus Prime is next to the attacking character, the defense value of this card is 10.): 3 cards

Special Cards: 7

Sparkplug - Spy (Look at the top 5 cards of any deck. Put 2 cards in the corresponding discard pile and 3 cards back on top of the corresponding draw pile in any order.): 3 cards

Mecha-Surge! Ram'em (You may move Optimus Prime up to 6 spaces. Choose an opponent's character next to you. That character then receives 3 damage.): 4 cards

Darth Vader: 19 HP

2 Stormtroopers: 3 HP each

Starscream: 19 HP

Standard Cards: 16

Attack 1/Defend 4: 3 cards

Attack 2/Defend 2: 2 cards

Attack 3/Defend 1: 3 cards

Attack 3/Defend 2: 2 cards

Attack 4/Defend 2: 2 cards

Attack 5/Defend 1: 1 card

Ability Cards: 6

Attack * Mecha-Surge! Rockets (*The attack value of this card is equal to the number of spaces in between Starscream and the attacked character. If applicable, count diagonal spaces as one each.): 1 card

Attack 4* Delusions of Grandeur (*If Starscream does damage with this card, draw 4 cards. If no damage is done discard 3 cards.): 5 cards

Special Cards: 8

Swindle - Blind Side (Look through an opponent's discard pile. Take any 2 cards and place them in any order back on top of that opponent's draw pile.): 3 cards

Swindle - Recon (Choose and opponent. That opponent must reveal his/her hand to all players. Choose one card and place it back on top of his/her draw pile.): 3 cards

Mecha-Surge! Speed (Look at any opponent's hand. If there is a Special Card, you may play it immediately as if it were your own card. Playing your opponent's card does not count as an action.): 2 Cards

Cyclonus: 18 HP

Attack 1/Defend 4: 4 cards

Attack 2/Defend 2: 2 cards

Attack 2/Defend 4: 3 cards

Attack 3/Defend 1: 4 cards

Attack 3/Defend 2: 3 cards

Ability Cards: 13

Attack * Crumplezone - Dual Fire (*In place of this card, play any attack card from your discard pile immediately as your attack card.): 3 cards

Attack 2* Mecha-Surge! Chopper (*If Cyclonus is next to the attacked character, the attack value is 6 instead of 2.): 3 cards

Attack 3* Windblast (*If this card is not blocked, the attacked character receives 10 damage.): 1 card

Attack 4* Ambush (*If Cyclonus does damage with this card, that opponent cannot defend against attacks this turn.): 2 cards

Attack 4 Fire From Above (After attacking, Cyclonus may move to any empty space.): 3 cards

Attack 5 Blind Rage (After attacking, all characters except Cyclonus receive 2 damage.): 1 card

Special Cards: 0

Mace Windu: 18 HP

2 Clone Troopers: 3 HP each

Smokescreen: 18 HP

Attack 3/Defend 3: 3 cards

Attack 5/Defend 1: 1 card

Ability Cards: 8

Attack * Crane Smash (*The attack value of this card is equal to the number of cards the player controlling the attacked character currently has in his/her hand.): 4 cards

Attack 5 Wrecking Ball (All players may draw up to 3 cards.): 4 cards

Laserbeak (Look at all opponents' hands. Then choose one card to discard from each hand.): 1 card

Liftor - Boomerang (Choose an opponent. That opponent cannont attack or play any special cards during his/her next turn.): 3 cards

Reroute (You may discard any number of cards to gain back damage points equal to the number of cards discarded.): 2 cards

Anakin Skywalker: 17 HP

Padm'e Amidala: 9 HP

Count Dooku: 17 HP

2 Super Battle Droids: 4 HP each

Darth Maul: 17 HP

2 Battle Droids: 2 HP each

Demolishor: 17 HP

Standard Cards: 18

Attack 1/Defend 2: 4 cards

Attack 2/Defend 1: 4 cards

Attack 2/Defend 4: 1 card

Attack 3/Defend 1: 1 card

Attack 3/Defend 3: 1 card

Ability Cards: 8

Defend * Recoil (*Demolishor receives no damage from the attack. Instead the attacker receives 1 damage.): 4 cards

Attack 2* Mecha-Surge! Precision (*If Demolishor is next to the attacked character, the attack value is 6 instead of 2.): 3 cards

Defend 5 Reload (Take all Missile Barrage cards from your discard pile and place them in your hand.): 1 card

Blackout - Espionage (Look at the top 3 cards of an opponent's deck. Discard one card and put the remaining cards back in the corresponding pile any order you want.): 3 cards

Missile Barrage (Choose any character. Roll the movement die. The character takes damage equal to the die number. If an ALL # is rolled, all characters except Demolishor receive damage.): 3 cards

Hot Shot: 17 HP

Attack 1/Defend 4: 1 card

Attack 2/Defend 1: 3 cards

Attack 2/Defend 3: 1 card

Attack 3/Defend 2: 3 cards

Ability Cards: 10

Attack 2* Quick Shot (*Show your hand to all players. Add 2 to the attack value for every other Quick Shot card in your hand.): 7 cards

Defend 10 Disruption (Attacking opponent cannot attack you again this turn.): 3 cards

Special Cards: 4

Jolt - Retrieve (Take any 1 card from your discard pile and put that card in your hand.): 1 card

Jolt - Flight (You may move Hot Shot to any empty space. Draw 2 cards. You may then shuffle your discard pile into your draw pile.): 2 cards

Mecha-Surge! Driveby (You may move up to 8 spaces. You may then discard any number of cards to draw the same number of new cards.): 1 card

Obi-Wan Kenobi: 17 HP

Luke Skywalker: 16 HP

Princess Leia: 9 HP

Red Alert: 15 HP

Attack 1/Defend 2: 2 cards

Attack 1/Defend 4: 1 card

Attack 1/Defend 5: 1 card

Attack 2/Defend 2: 1 card

Attack 2/Defend 4: 2 cards

Attack 3/Defend 1: 3 cards

Attack 4/Defend 2: 4 cards

Ability Cards: 5

Defend 5 Power Block (After defending, you may choose an opponent to discard his/her entire hand and draw 3 new cards.): 1 card

Attack 7 Sacrifice (After attacking, instead of placing Sacrifice into your discard pile, you may place 2 cards from your hand into your discard pile.): 1 card

Defend 10 Regroup (After playing this card, you may discard your entire hand and draw 4 new cards.): 3 cards

Special Cards: 9

Longarm - Stun Discs (Draw a card, then choose an opponent to discard one of his/her cards.): 6 cards

Mecha-Surge! Evac (Choose any character in play, including Red Alert. That character recovers up to 3 damage and may move up to 6 spaces.): 3 cards

Jango Fett: 14 HP

Zam Wessell: 9 HP

Yada: 14 HP

Boba Fett: 13 HP

Greedo: 6 HP

Emperor Palpatine: 12 HP

2 Royal Guard: 4 HP

Han Solo: 12 HP

Chewbacca: 14 HP

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I can wait. I've been waiting since I was a kid to finally get a hold of those damn cards, I think I can wait a little while longer if you can scan both decks in full in a way I could print them.

10. SaberPrime

Um... both? There are 8 decks. Also while I'm thinking about it, I'm assuming that because you don't have any of the cards that you're also missing the quick start cards that list the game rules on them. They're not super important to have but if you're playing the game for the first time it's easier to refer to the quick start cards than to look threw the rule book. The rule book is even more long winded than my original post, the quick start cards get right to the point and help new players learn the game as they're playing it. It's also a great refresher if you haven't played in a long time and need a quick reminder of what you're suppose to be doing.

I use to play them at work between shows on Saturday. The stage manager who use to work there first introduced me to the Star Wars game and even though I got killed in like 1 turn my first time playing it I went out looking for my own copy and ended up with the Transformers game. Later my dad found the Star Wars one on E-bay. I did play the game at home, twice. I played the Transformers Armada game with my dad when I first got it before taking it to work with me about a week later and both games with my dad a couple years ago when the power went out and I had nothing else to do. I've been so bored lately I'm thinking about playing them again this weekend. Provided everyone playing is OK with it (which will probably just be my dad.) I might even film the game and put it on YouTube. Like a Beer and Boardgames but without the beer. (Over 9,000 imaginary points to anyone that knows the Beer and Boardgames reference.)

11. TFPrime

TFPrime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have that game..I bought it last year at Tfcon. I just wanted the Prime figure for it. I have no desire for the rest of the figures/games..it's all complete etc. If you want it, you can have it. Just taking up space here.