Customs: Transformers Are Color Blind

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by autobotx23, Jul 14, 2009.

1. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

The other day on the boards, in Encline's Jetfire thread, this comment was made:

To which my crazy buddy Encline replied:

Why do I bring any of this up? Well, as a member of the African American community, I've gotten a few PM and emails, and few conversations with co- workers and friends about the characters of Skids and Mudflap. As a HUGE fan of the franchise being obvious to everyone who knows me, I get asked about my feelings about the depiction of urban youth in the film.

My response?

Who Cares!!!

Does anyone take offense that Optimus Prime sounds like a mix of John Wayne and Martin Luther King? Does anyone care that Jetfire sounds like a bad mix of Mel Gibson and Sean Connery in a nursing home? Are there any concerns about Bumblebee offending those who are mute? No!

We TF fans are color blind. Our heroes and villains are black, white, purple, blue, silver, red....the list goes on. We care about the things that stand for, their motivations and all of the great action that happens between these heroic Autobots and evil Decepticons. We care about the cool Transformations, character designs, points of articulation and decal work. We are truly color bling to anything else.

Sometimes, a joke is just a joke. Nothing more, nothing less. Lets lead by example, and remember that here on TFW2005, the only colors that matter to us are those red and purple shields.

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

People love to compare Skids and Mudflap to Blackface, which I always found much worse. I'm sorry, but as suggestive as the Twins may have been, they don't hold a candle to some of the racially insensitive and blatantly offensive material of the past.

3. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

I may not be of african descent, but i was a thousand times more shocked by the negative reaction, than the actual porrayal of the characters. Is stereotyping new to movies? f*ck no. Look at any action movie ever, and you'll see all characters are stereotypically portrayed. In most cases, including Skids & Mudflap, it's the actors who improvised that portrayal anyway. I think it's kind of hard for Reno Wilson to hate african-americans, but apparently, that's what critics like to think anyway.

4. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Absolutely. personally, i dint think they "sounded black" I though they sounded like the sterotypical "urban uneducated youth" which now a days spans a large gamete of the color spectrum.

Same here, No one flipped out about Jazz in the first movie, only because the original character was voiced by Scatman Caruthers (pardon my spelling if I jacked that up) and it was excepted that they would just update the characters lingo.

What I found a lil offensive was the term "bitches" being tossed around, as if it's status quo for black people to use. Take note, no matter HOW many times you may see it in a Hip Hop video or in a music video, we still get slapped by our moms if we say it in public :lol 

5. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

This is exactly how I have been describing the characters.

6. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

It's essentially the same as going "OHSHI-- Prime is a stereotypical american soldier! BAN TF!!"

7. dyingwill3rd

dyingwill3rd Life is a fabled mystery

as a fan of the twins, i thought i might as well add in my opinion. when the critics bring up the idea that they are racial stereotypes and badmouth them, it makes me wonder, why don't they point that out in other movies?!!!

Face it, in our world, there's racism practically on every corner. TV, magazines, and in my opinion even them for singling out two characters in a box office hit when they don't do that for other things around us.

just my:2c: 

8. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Great point, my man. :thumb 

9. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I really don't see any issues with a giant robot having ANY accent or voicetype. That certainly isn't "racist" and I agree with you guys on the colorblind issue. I see HUMAN BEING, not color. I have or have had great friends who were every color/race you can think of and I'm actually 1/4 Japanese, 1/4 German, as well as part American Indian (don't ask which part, I have no clue), part Irish, and more (and my family name is originally from England). So I'm a mutt and proud of it. lol

I'm honestly the laid back, easy going type that enjoys jokes (even those controversial types everyone seems to hate) and I just like to meet people and have fun. Color is definitely not an issue and it's crazy to see movie critics hate on a movie based on some voice work. I have yet to see the new movie though--so I can't debate much about that. I will say that out of all the characters in the G1 toon, I loved the voice work on Optimus Prime, Ironhide, and Jazz the most. You never once thought about Jazz being "black"--he just oozed "cool" and that was that. As AX23 said, the only colors anyone should worry about here are the good ol' red and purple (or "good vs evil" as it can also be looked at). Why can't anything be looked upon as an entertaining movie without shouts of racism being used by critics or the like? The voices may sound a certain way, but in the end, it's still a robot, regardless of the voice. People seriously read too much into that stuff and get all worked up over nothing. As for the Jazz voice from the first movie--I was actually happy to hear that they kept a "cool" voice for him.

(and AX23, I feel ya on that whole mom slapping stuff--my Japanese grandmother was the same way.........she was short, petite, but packed a heck of a smack to the arms and head) lol

10. Howling

Howling I'M NOT A GUY!!!

News Credits:
    this^^

and autobot x, I see your signature is new and i cant wait for bat prime, or battron, or the dark bot, no batimus prime!

11. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

no one i have talked to personally black or white thought they were racist. to me they are more Louisiana decent than black. back home in Texas along the gulf coast close to Louisiana i met both black and white folks that reminded me of them.

it is just media hoopla it must have been a slow tabloid news day

12. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ABX23, you sir have just won every ounce of my respect one can gain in this thread. This has to be the best rgd thread I've yet to read. When I read through posts, I don't care about race or background, hell I honestly try not to see these kinds of things in life. I've had many blaack friends over the years. As for crits saying skids n mudflap are portayed as african americans of low social ordinance, that's bull. There are so many young people in my area that talk like that its not even funny. I mean common, we should be in the new age of embracing one another, not pointing out racial bs like that. The way I see it, skids n mudflap landed, heard the way the people in the area were talking, liked it, and simply picked up the mannerisms. Its a kids toy brand, with movies aimed at that very same demographic. The characters were comical releif, and they did it well. And as for whjat you ointed out about eclines reply, that was a funny joke, I certianly didn't take offence to it and no one else on the boards should either. I just don't understand why people get so deffensive about this stuff. Anyway, well put abx23!

13. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Im glad that we agree on that one, Boggs. Not that I don't have respect for everyone's opinion, but i find your posts on topics on the Radicons mirror my own feelings. Thanks

:lol  Makes your head a lil thicker huh? I always told my friends the reasons I never lost many fights as a kid is because no kid I'd ever known could hit as hard as my mom. :lol 

I enjoy humor of all types. My movies range from Monty Python to Old School, and some times jokes in bad taste are the funniest to hear.

Thanks! Believe it or not, it not a Cybertron Prime. :ev: 

Yep, they can't continue to cover just Micheal Jackson forever can they?

Well, I'm sure it offended someone. If Ive learned anything is that offending people is usually just a combination of bad timing and good intentions. It's seldomly in life do we ever INTENTIONALLY try to offend anyone (except for SQ7, he does it on purpose :lol ). However, as a community, and as especially as Radicons, we should make an effort to understand everyone's point of view.

My goal was not to either defend or attack Enclines point. But, I consider Encline a friend. He's a great guy and has a strong faith. he would never want to offend anyone. Hell, one of his favorite movie characters is Predator, the gigantic Jamaican Alien. He said it because he feels comfortable on these boards, so he let a raunchy joke go. But it was probably a joke based on what he heard in the media during the movies, not on his own accord.

That ties into my point about Deh Twins. I loved them, but I never once thought of them as any ethnicity. They we just two bumbling, good-hearted knuckleheads who probably watched too much MTV while they were working for NEST :lol 

That's whats great about being a TF fan and a Radicon. I've painted Primes in every color in the spectrum, from Black to White.. And it's never mattered.

Til All Are One.....

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The only thing I have to say is this:

Rumble is red, Frenzy is blue.

:) 

15. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

:lol 

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I hope I offended you, punk.

:) 

17. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    imagine that... Earl is making a Dark Knight custom! :p  (to keep it in context, my comment is in relation to his sig image, and his always ending text messages with "dark knight!" not the subject matter of the thread) :lol 

18. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I think the outrage about this is more disturbing that whatever Mudflap and Skids were supposed to be. I saw the movie twice before I even heard about the comments about it. I saw them as orange and green robot posers. Nothing more. At least they weren't retarded like lots of people thought with all the stupid "herp and durp" comments.

Hey, as a hispanic I was happy to see Leo. Hell, being from DC, I was happy to see Portis shirt in the first movie.

They better not have some low riding latino bot in the 3rd one that wears a sombrero saying "Orale ese". If they did they might make him a decepticon. (Actually, I would get that figure).

19. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I think only the mods know how big of a batman fan I am. This project lets me kinda go crazy a lil. :ev: 

20. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Y'know just a quick note on the twins. I actually never related them to urban black youth. I actually percieved them more as the white "eminem" type wannabe gangster 'lil punk kids. Weird how perceptions go.

And the ABX23 says it right, the only thing that matters is the red and purple shields!:thumbs2: