Transformers Annual 2017

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by NoiseMaker, Mar 8, 2017.

1. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did the term Unknown Evil get used in the comics somewhere? I guess I'm not follow what you're saying Anguirus. The "Unknown Evil" from the polls was a shadowed picture of Deathsaurus, and Hasbro stated that the option was Deathsaurus, what does that have to do with comics? I think the poll was just about the toy line and what figure is going to be the premier figure and matrix bearer in the line story or something. The comics didn't tie into the Titans Return toyline all that much, it was really just Sentinel Prime and Alpha Trion, is there something that is telling us that this toy line will be different?

2. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Deathsaurus was the unknown evil because hasbro didn't know what name to use for him. They can't very well use deathsaurus because censors and think of the children and all that and dezaras is now a bird/spaceship component of liokaiser

3. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    That doesn't matter, the marketing was still "choose the next Prime"; having a character already a Prime on the poll would needlessly complicate matters, especially for those not as well versed in TFs. There would still be confusion after if Onyx was the Unknown Evil, and it would solve basically nothing.

Also, if "beasts" was the gimmick/theme of the Power of the Primes, it would have completely a different name, and we would have had more than two candidates with beast modes. The name of the toyline pretty much spells out that the gimmick is Primes, not beasts.

And as tigatron2002 said, they hid Deathsaurus because they don't know what they're going to call him yet, as they can't use that name for the toy.

Star Saber's bio says he's "a valiant champion of peace" and "servant of hope who will fight for the good of all Transformers robots."

Megatron's bio has him as a Decepticon who wants to rule Cybertron again.

Optimus Primal's bio says he's the king of Eukaris, even though it's been shown that's not how their political system works.

Thunderwing and Shockwave were both on the poll despite being dead.

You are way too hung up on the poll being based purely off of IDW stuff when it's quite clearly not. IDW is probably going to have its own version of Primal different from what the poll described, just like how their Deathsaurus Prime would have likely been completely different from Hasbro's version. Because, as you yourself have said, this has already happened with stuff like the Torchbearers.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Nathanoraptor

Nathanoraptor Well-Known Member

In the interests of fairness, the "planet divided between four competing tribes" thing might be a recent phenomenon. At one point, they may have been unified; they could, hypothetically, use that to reconcile Optimus Primal's bio with established canon.

• Like Like x 2
  5. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It is was one weird poll in Power of the Primes mean all the people who were on the list with the exception of Hound are reasonable. I would love to see Hound more but his roles so far are in supportive position.

I admit I am intrigued by the story so far

6. TF Bumblebee

TF Bumblebee Well-Known Member

I'm so happy Bee's making a return! This is the best news I've heard in awhile ^_^.

[​IMG]

7. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    It doesn't matter? The Matrix is mentioned no less than three times on that page. In fact, the entire first paragraph is all about the Matrix! So the role the Matrix plays in the life of the Prime does matter.

That's why they obscured the name.

Deathsaurus was Dezarus in Combiner Wars, right? So why didn't they just use that name again? There was no reason to hide his name. They've got the trademark there, ready to use.

Titans Return has a Headmasters gimmick. If the names are meant to be as simplistic as you imply, then TR should have just been called Headmasters Return.

And how is 'Primes' a line-wide gimmick? Give me some details on how you think that will stretch over 6 price points.

8. Verno

News Credits:
    Does anyone have a pic of the rhino, bat and T-Rex raiders on-panel?

9. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Unless of course dezaras is not deathsaurus. Seriously, the two share nothing in common, dezaras is effectively a name that sounds kinda sorta like that one guy who was kinda sorta associated with liokaiser, it was an attempt to have a somewhat familiar name in the group. Dezaras is no more deathsaurus than alpha bravo is slingshot

• Like Like x 1
  10. Verno

News Credits:
    The Dezarus name isn't a direct reference to Deathsaurus?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fenrys

News Credits:
    No idea to be honest, it's obviously at least an approximation of his name. Optimus prime has more in common with Optimus primal than the traditional deathsaurus and combiner wars dezarus share, far as I'm concerned they're seperate characters, especially since cw liokaiser really has no fiction to say dezaras is deathsaurus

12. Verno

News Credits:
    An approximation of his name, but it still isn't Deathsaurus in you eyes (intentional or otherwise).

13. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Nope, aside from some letters in his name and syllables of his name he has nothing in common with deathsaurus. Like I said if you put a deathsaurus and dezaras next to each other and then an optimus prime next to Optimus primal (except beast machines primal) more people would think the optimus' are the same character.

Deathsaurus has a robot and beast mode, dezaras is a bird/dragon thing and a space shuttle. The two don't have similar heads, they don't share a color scheme, there really is not a lot to say he's deathsaurus.

14. Verno

News Credits:
    They're on the same TFWiki page, so clearly there are people out there of the opinion that they're one and the same.

15. Fenrys

News Credits:
    That's nice, didn't know the wiki was official ;) 

Truth be told he's exactly like alpha bravo as far as I'm concerned, replaces an existing character on a combiner and has their color scheme.

Unknown evil was very clearly deathsaurus, down to the point where hasbro said it was deathsaurus.

Onyx prime is onyx prime, we've (American audiences) have know onyx prime since the covenant of primus was released, we've (again American audiences) have known deathsaurus as a not so evil guy in a handful of issues of mtmte. Between the two deathsaurus is a lot more unknown (again to a strictly American audience)

16. Verno

News Credits:
    I didn't say the wiki was official. I said that some people are of the opinion that they're the same character, just as you're of the opinion that they're not.

As I said before, I do think the Unknown Evil was Deathsaurus. However, there is justifiable reason (as well as wiggle room) for people to think it was Onyx Prime. I'm simply playing devil's advocate.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Fair enough :p  I can be a bit of a smart ass at times haha, I do think hasbro intended him to be a version of deathsaurus, but I think there's enough of a difference that they can coexist, but that's just me :) 

18. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Eh? The new head bit on Dezarus is 100% based on Deathsaurus. The detailing on the fin is a direct match.

You're obviously free to headcanon whatever you like, but I think it's pretty clear that Hasbro considers it to be Deathsaurus. We're rumoured to get a Leader Deathsaurus later this year, and that will almost certainly be called Dezarus too.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Please see post just above yours ;) 

20. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    Meanwhile, the word "Prime" is mentioned no less than five times, and the entire page is about the next person to claim that title. The title that Onyx Prime already has. The 13 have never been considered any lesser than Primes who have wielded the Matrix regardless of you thinking that's the case, because they were created by Primus himself; Onyx has just as much legitimacy as Optimus or Rodimus or anyone granted the title of "Prime" by the Matrix, because he was one of Cybertron's 13 leaders in the past and Primus already granted him that title.

Obscuring the name during the poll isn't going to change the confusion and anger afterwards.

In fact, if Unknown Evil had won, then what? Your argument is that they're lying about it being Deathsaurus for vague reasons, so if he had won, would they would they then reveal him as Onyx Prime? Or just say that "Deathsaurus won!" and then piss people off even more when they go "nah, it's actually this character who's already a Prime" down the road? What possible reason would they have to not reveal him now rather than lie about it being Deathsaurus?

Hasbro might not have been happy with that name and wants something different; it might also just be they want a different name for a toy that'll be much closer to traditional Deathsaurus than the Dezarus figure was.

Except for the part where they were renamed Titan Masters, and that was part of their mythology, so the name's not as far from the gimmick as you're implying. So do you think beasts are going to be renamed Primes, then? That sure won't be confusing...

And they can use the 13 Primes, Nova, Zeta, Nominus, Optimus Rodimus, etc. There's a lot of Primes from across fiction they can use (hell, if Onyx was on the poll and won, that'd mean we get one less potential figure), and weren't you and/or Anguirus even theorizing earlier how we're more than likely to get Deathsaurus from the same mold as Onyx...? The toyline may be centred around Primes, but I don't think that's all the toys will be, with the non-Prime figures likely interacting with the Prime figures in some way, just as the other two toylines have had interaction between different figures.

And again, we only had two characters with beast-modes on the poll, along with Hasbro saying how they were surprised at Primal winning and that changed some of their plans. That all makes it extremely obvious PotP isn't a beast-focused line at all.