Transformers Animated vs. G1.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Starwave, Jun 23, 2011.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Plus one.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, those youngins'll never be TRU FANZ

Ahahaha what? Which G1 cartoon were you watching? Even if you're comparing Animated to the G1 comic, story-wise it holds up really well, and Animated's aesthetic is garbage compared to Geoff Senior's work (though I do like Geoff's style...)?

And much as it's great Simon Furman wants to go back to the original marvel universe, I'm apprehensive about that. It's something that's been written and re-written and re-written time and time again, and though I guess it never really got the ending or closure it deserved, it did end, and there's no sense in re-doing it at the expense of the stuff like Earthforce and the G2 comic. It'd be nice to know his ideas, though. I'd much rather Furman start from scratch, build a universe close to what was in the marvel universe so he wouldn't have to worry about the stuff before he really got control of the comic, or connections to the marvel universe that make things difficult, and go from there. But then I guess that would be like what, the 5th or 6th G1 comic universe (at least)? That might be hard to get people to swallow.

For Animated, on the other hand, the almanacs show there's a lot of new ground that can be treaded, and there's certainly a place in TF comics for the unique style of Animated. But on the other hand, I don't think Animated would shine in a comic the way it did on the screen. It could end up seeming like a shadow of what the cartoon was, which would be a shame. Still, I have to give Animated the edge on this choice.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  3. Tikin

Tikin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Animated, know why?
    amount of G1 Fiction:
    I-------------------------------------------------------------------------------I
    Animated Fiction:
    I------I

4. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    animated for sure, the g1 comics aren't my favorite rendition of g1, not the marvel ones anyways

5. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Animated! G1 still has a good amount of spotlight today after 27 years. Animated is going to slowly die like previous series and it does not deserve that. I am sure DJW will help out a lot for the season 4 comic. It sad because some people who grew up with g1 call young fans not a true fan but they won't give the new good series a chance and that not being a fan of transformers that being a fan of the 80's

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So a continuation of a great show that was cancelled too soon or more adventures of Grimlock and end of the line G1 guys that almost nobody remembers or cares about? This is a contest how?

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Even though I grew up in the 80's and I'd rush home from the school bus stop so I wouldn't miss Transformers I get the strange feeling that I must not be a true fan. Beast Wars was great, I loved the new take Animated took on Transformers and I'm really interested in where Transformers Prime might be going with it's story.

Sad at my age to be one of those damn young whipper snappers with their darn show accurate toys and efforts to tell a connected story over several seasons.

A person can't win these days because I'm not a true fan for embracing change to say I loved Animated while at the same time I'm not true fan for not embracing change when I said I just don't like the movies. It's damned if you like a change and damned if you don't like a change.

8. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very interesting thread. It also seems to follow the feelings of the fans at the comic panel at Botcon. Although I wasn't physically present during that panel, the TFW podcast indicated that at the panel, IDW was all excited about the prospect of continuing #81 and thought the fans in the audience would be excited too. When they tried to guage fan interest and ask about #81, apparently there were crickets, but then when asked about Animated, the room roared :drool: 

I think IDW was taken back and shocked, which is kinda funny. Like I said, I wasn't there though, only going by the podcast, so don't take that word for word, but it appears most would actually be in favor of Animated over G1.

I am an 80s kid, probably one of the oldest on here (37 :eek: ) and I would be ok with either Animated or G1 continuation. I know I am a boring fan, lol. But to be honest, I think that in itself, speaks volumes for Animated and the respect I have for it.

9. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh, and I would actually be concerned that DJW might not be able to contribute to TFA comic because he is working for Cartoon Network now. I am not saying he couldn't, just that there might be some conflicts of interest in there...

10. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow. Here I thought 81 would take the cake!

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I've got and I recommend the original Marvel run, to others, so yes.

I'll flip this around, and ask, have you read the Allspark Almanacs? If not, then you're missing a ginormous chunk of the Animated mythos.

12. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I'm an 80's kid, and I really didn't like the Animated look when it first came out, but I have to admit the series changed my mind, definitely one of the best written TF series out there, I'd say 2nd to Beast Wars. The original Marvel series ended on a good note, and I think it could serve as a proper ending. Animated on the other hand, really deserves to show the stuff that never made it out in the cancelled season 4 :)  So, never would have thought I'd say this few years ago, but yeah, here's to an Animated comic :) 

13. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As someone who doesn't read any of the Transformer comics and likely never will, I'd be happier knowing an Animated comic exists.

That said, I'd much rather a Prime comic, and actually read that.

14. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

I think animated for sure. Although it would be interesting to see what happens after G1 in between it and Beast Wars, or the downfall of Cybertron to Beast Machines Megatron once he fell off of the ship and got to Cybertron before the Maximals.

15. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Animated definitely.

I'm a lifelong (well, since I was a teenager in the 80's anyway) G1 fan, cartoon and comics (US and UK). One thing I loved were all the loving homages to G1 in Animated, in a whole, fresh new story. I honestly got pretty tired of Prime vs. Megatron stories even back in the 80's, ESPECIALLY in the comics - I wanted more stories of the other characters. Which we got in Animated.

--Moony

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Marvel G1. Animated can stay dead IMO.

17. Blurr ftw

Blurr ftw Quick draw

neither needs to be continued issue 81 was a great stopping and animated was just annoying i would enjoy it if it didnt look like a 5 year old drew it

18. unchained5150

unchained5150 Time to Disappear.

It took me forever to get used to Animated. Even longer to actually watch it without slightly cringing because of the animation. The stories later into the show were spectacular; almost on par with Beast Wars. The thing is, it was ended too soon and right I was just getting into it but, if they bring it back, it'll take just as long for me to get used to it again. - I'm not prejudice towards it, it's just really -not- up my alley, just like RiD and AEC. It just didn't have a strong hook out the gate for me.

That being said: If they can come up with a strong hook out the gates, I am more than willing to give it another chance! I would -really- like for more G1/Classics Universe, though. Especially if it wraps G2 into it. Those were my favorite TF comics to date. Nothing but unabashed '90s, unapologetic mayhem and I think all forms of TF -needs- more of that and less of the talky-talk they've got going on now. More of that and more of the war on Cybertron before Earth. I could take that and nothing else for, forever.

19. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    Animated is obviously a superior cartoon to G1, nostalgia and fuzzy childhood memories aside.

However, while I love Animated and want it to continue, I think Marvel G1 has a bit more potential to be awesome (in the right hands). On the other hand, Animated has plenty of awesome potential as seen in the Allspark Almanac. I could go either way, but I lean towards Animated.

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Animated.

Animated G2 Anyone. Basicially continue it where Optimus Prime has to take the burden of becoming the new Magnus, Sentinel Prime jealous becomes Nemesis Prime, and a new demonic tyrant arise from the shadows known as Galvatron.

G1 Cartoon is Armada awesome at times but full of animations/continuity errors and brickish action figures.