Transformers Animated vs. G1.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Starwave, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Starwave

Starwave Herald of Unicron

Ok, now I've seen EVERYONE talking about the petition for IDW to continue the Marvel G1 comic, starting with issue #81. I've also seen a handful of people, no where near as large, start a petition for a continuation of Animated fiction. So, anyways, I thought I would see what everyone here thought about that. Which would you rather have them continue, G1 or Animated? It would be awesome if they did both, but I don't see that happening. If I had to chose though, it would be Animated. I loved Animated, and it will always be one of my favorite series. It ended with many loose ends. Too many to count. And honestly, the concepts for Season 4 sounded AMAZING. Plus, if Hasbro will have a toy of Drift made, then who is to say there couldn't be a Universe/Generations/Classics/Whatever toy of Megatron's season 4 design? There was the resin model and all that..... I just feel a little bit of my collection is empty without being able to have that thing! And wouldn't it be cool to see most of it take place on Cybertron instead of Earth? There is still plenty to see of Cybertron in the Animated continuity.

2. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Honestly, Marvel continuity doesn't need continuation. I think it ended at a pretty decent place, with no real obvious direction to go. Animated definitely needed a continuation; it already had a storyline in place for season 4 upon cancellation.

If any TF comic needs a continuation, it's Dreamwave. I'm still wondering what they had planned for that series.

3. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    I'm disappointed that you picked TFA! You know its G1 and it always will. Anything after is nothing but a parody of the true essence that made The Transformers what it is today.

Only the 80s kids would know this.

4. Starwave

Agreed about the G1 Marvel comic. It would be a cool throwback, but it just doesn't NEED a continuation. I also like the idea of them continuing the Dreamwave stuff. That would be a miracle.

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    :rolleyes2  As an 80's kid, I couldn't disagree more. Animated is where it's at. Stronger story and better characters with a story that needs telling, not yet another retelling.

6. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I'm 32, and I would rather see Animated get a season 4 in comic form than a continuation of the Marvel books. We have comics with the G1 characters every month, there is no need to return to 20 year old continuity. It would be like Superman's comic relaunch returning him to pre-Man of Steel, silver age canon.

And I'm as 80's as it gets.

7. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Animated. It's like an improved version of G1 itself.

8. Christiankid7

Christiankid7 Christianbot

What were the concepts for season 4
    I would love it. Take some of the trash off Cartoon Network

9. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    I think TFA is weak sauce man! Story wise, it feels soft like He-Man from the 80s... that sense of tone anyways. Aesthetic wise, I think its absolute garbage!

10. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Animated, by far.

11. Prime_Directive

Prime_Directive less than meets the eye

News Credits:
    ... What?

12. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I would love to have Furman pick up with issue 81 and folding the G2 Comic (My favorite story arch) into it somehow.

That said I would like to see Animated season 4 as a comic as well. (as hard as it was for me to look at that art style, the story was great)

In the end why does it have to be one Vs the other and only one shall survive. I say let them both continue. I know without a doubt both would do VERY well if the stories are solid.

13. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    Animated definitely.

Though I would rather they actually presented it in Cartoon format, a comic book is the next best choice.

There were so many unanswered questions left in the series it's not funny. Sari's origins, Slipstream, Ultra Magnus, Sentinal Prime, Blackarachnia, Waspinator, the Predacons, Dinobots, Wreck Gar, Constructicons, Blurr, The Starscream clones, Team Megatron (Cyclonus, Slapper etc).

14. kjyl

kjyl I'm a shark.

If i had to pick one I would go with Animated, but I would rather they cancel the ongoing and pick up with Marvel 81.

15. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

Easy call g1 for sure, animated had some cool toys and a few good episodes with Omega Supreme but that was about it when the Autobots and Decepticons actually got around to fighting each other.

16. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I would love to see a continuation of Animated.
    As much as I love G1; Beast Machines (Wreckers and Universe comics included) was pretty much the end cap of the G1 series.

17. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    How much of Animated did you watch? Animated had lots of character development, and the stories went way deep.

18. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Marvel G1!!!

You guys do know that the G1 comic was not the same as the G1 cartoon...right?

I'd say Leige Maximo was a pretty big loose thread, but since Furman's talking about dropping G2...eh.

Marvel G1 and Animated ended pretty much the same way. Both had lots of upcoming events set in motion that were tied up quickly or just glossed over. I don't think one ended any better than the other in those areas.

This should be in the comic forum. Where most Animated fans will never find it. Muhuhuhuhahaha!

19. Starwave

Animated is easily the best series since Beast Wars, if you ask me. Unlike the G1 cartoon, there was an actual ongoing plot, and the characters were very well developed over the course of the three seasons we got. Did you even watch the entire series? I know it's pretty slow at first, but it gets better. Trust me.

20. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Besides that, Furman did kind of finish off that plotline here