Transformers Animated The Cool (manga) in English

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DrSpengler, Apr 2, 2010.

1. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

I looked around this and the News forum and didn't see anything, so I figured I'd post it.

As you may or may not know, Naoto Tsushima's Transformers Animated The Cool manga will begin publication in Kerokero Ace next month.

A special 4-page color preview was published in their April issue, which I've gone ahead and translated. You can see the raw pages Here.

If I can get a steady flow of scans each month (I've got a few folks offering to hook me up), I'll try and keep up with the series as its being published and translate each issue in a timely manner.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Seeing the TF: Animated characters in an authentic anime style is a lot more un-nerving than I would have expected.

3. DrSpengler

I'm not sure how well people here know me, but over at the Allspark boards everyone kinda knows that I'm not a big fan of Japanese Transformers fiction (despite, you know, translating so much of it).

However, Tsushima is one of those creators that I really do genuinely like. I don't know yet whether Animated is going to *really* take place in the Movie continuity, yet, or how that will effect the plot lines of the show, to say nothing of whether The Cool will follow suit with its stories.

But I trust Tsushima will do a good job. Or maybe I'm just hungry for any new Animated fiction I can get. I loved that universe.

At the very least, I trust Tsushima to treat Sari with dignity and not perv all over her, which was one of my greatest fears for any potential Animated manga. Tsushima's never shown a penchant for that sort of stuff in any of his previous Transformers work (indeed, his Binaltech Asterisk manga was pretty tasteful where one would expect it not to be), so I think Sari's in safe hands.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Nice introduction to the story, though I agree, seeing them drawn in that style does look a bit odd.

Thanks for translating it, I'll look forward to reading this.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm sure the manga will end up being pretty interesting. If anything, the Animated universe lends itself well to the types of stories that usually end up in the japanese tf mangas.

6. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    DrSpengler, good to see you doing this.

7. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Heh..so far it's actually pretty respectful to the source. Nice.

Oh, and thanks for the translation!

8. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seems like they are dropping the whole "underdog" theme with the Autobots being actual combatants rather than an unlucky repair crew. I do love the art but I hope they don't change the established themes that made it unique.

9. DrSpengler

I found it kind of odd that the two Decepticons teamed with Starscream, are the two Decepticons from the cartoon that were almost *never* seen fighting alongside the main Decepticon forces (Blackarachnia broke ranks after the first episode and Lockdown was a free agent).

I'm wondering if The Cool is going to have them as part of the main forces or if this preview was just meant as a teaser and shouldn't be taken too seriously on a story level.

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Is the artist the same one who did a lot of other TF manga? (particularly the ones that came with the Henkei toy releases). I notice that artist seems to have a bit more "animated" style (for lack of a better term ;)  ) than a lot of other 'g1-esque' manga and comics. It's a pretty good fit for TF:Animated, but it's interesting that it hasn't apparently been pushed any further than on the G1 or Henkei stuff.

11. DrSpengler

Yep, it's Naoto Tsushima.

He's been working on Transformers projects since as far back as the Stargate Battles.

12. aurex

aurex NERD ALERT

My hope is that it'll be similar to the KH Manga - full of delightful WTF, and enjoyable for it.

Digging Screamer's chin there in the last page. I didn't think it was possible for it to get BIGGER, but lo, it did.

13. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Thanks for these translations, Dr Spengler.

It'll be intereseting to see what direction and story a manga for the show will take.

Gotta say Optimus looks positively frightening on the 4th page! And he's got a really long chin guard!