Transformers Animated Samurai Prowl Pictorial review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Peaugh, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Your cries have been heard!! (Well, okay, at least Col's cries have been heard :)  ) A pictorial review of Samurai Prowl!

[​IMG]

He's quite the awesome guy, and the addition of the sidecar/armor is pulled off brilliantly.

[​IMG]

A few changes to the mold, but still basically the same figure. Most of the changes are cosmetic, like the clear blue bits and the teched-up windshield. His stars still pop off, but do not unfold unfortunately. I like the black/gold/grey scheme they used on them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The side car is removable, for a more "classic" Animated Prowl look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Transformation to robot mode remains essentially unchanged, aside fromt he fact that the back "wings" are now hinged and can swivel to a more upright position. He's also just a WEE bit taller than the original.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the "wings" and a slimmer head on Samurai Prowl. They've also remolded his thigh bits so there's no knee clearance issues.

[​IMG]

And while the aforementioned stars do NOT fold out, you can indeed place the original's ninja stars on Samurai Prowl without having to modify a thing.

[​IMG]

The side car is mostly two big chunks; the wheel/shield/sword combo, and the main car. Sadly the wheel does not split in half to form sword and shield, but the outer wheel bit IS a separate piece from the inner wheel, so he can roll in cycle mode:

[​IMG]

The sword/shield just flips open, the sidecar stays together but unfolds into the full armor:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The armor then snaps onto Prowl's back and you fold everything around him.

[​IMG]

In the picture above I've already adjusted his hip armor in the above pic, then the shoulderpads fold up under his armpits to their position.

[​IMG]

Then you lower the helmet onto his head. It doesn't snap into place, just rests there, but between the armature and Prowl's actual head, it stays in place quite well. It does keep his head from turning more than about 1/16" in this mode though.

[​IMG]

After that, just peg the sword/shield combo onto either arm.

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of the armor from the back. You can see there are two tabs near the top of the backpack that fit into small slots at the bottom of his "wings." Line those up and push the armor forward and it snaps into place securely.

[​IMG]

Here he is all armored up next to his humdrum normal self:

[​IMG]

He's quite cool. As mentioned earlier, his head is limited by the helmet, and the shoulderpads prevent a small bit of his arm posability, but all of the armor bits that aren't the weapon are on ball joints. His legs retain full posability.

[​IMG]

I know some people are down on having to buy a second Prowl, but he's SO worth it. An easy 'A' for the Animated line.

Video review is available here:

YouTube - Transformers Animated Samurai Prowl

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Great pictorial review (as always Peaugh, your reviews are top-notch and I truly enjoy watching/reading them)!

Love how the side-car isn't just seperate pieces you have to click onto Prowl, but rather one full piece..good engineering! Also..light piping! Yay!

3. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Dammit, I was just typing up my own review.....

Excellent as always dude.

4. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Go ahead and finish it up! :thumb 

5. col

col ROCK LORD

News Credits:
    Cries? What cries? There's no crying in Transformers! :p 

Great review, Peaugh! Thanks for doing it! He looks awesome, and that last shot totally sells it for me. Dang it! I'm gonna have twin Prowls! :rolleyes: 

6. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Yeah, I like that last shot, but I think this is my favorite one I took today:

[​IMG]

7. Destron23

Destron23 Vehicon

Great review! Could you take a picture of him and Lockdown battling against Starscream?

8. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kewl but definatley swapping parts

9. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    oh, so the trailer transforms to the armor but its just one piece of armor still? awesome! cant wait for this one... awesome review as usual, thanks

10. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey man, thanks for the review, how far can his shoulders/arms move forward with the armor on?

11. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:

OK.

Upgrades are hardly a new thing in the Transformers world. Occasionally we will see older characters released with newer weapons and powers in an attempt to keep both the show & the toyline going while actual new releases are slowed.

Prowl has been infected with the Upgrate Plague in the Animated and is being given a new release featuring the stylized Samurai armor that he obtained from everyone's favorite robotic poncho-clad bounty hunter in "A Fistful of Energon."

[​IMG]

Prowl still transforms into a Vehicle Mode, but now sports a fancy sidecar. The actual Vehicle is about 90% identical to the first release; most of the changes are cosmetic (altered windshield & lights, different details in the front).

[​IMG]

In Robot Mode this Prowl is virtually indistinguishable from the initial release. Primary changes are hinges on his kibble-wings, a slimmer head, a few more inches in height and one alteration that I just don't understand: his ninja-stars are now useless. They can be removed from the legs but they can't unfold.

[​IMG]

The actual transformation & armor-up process is pretty simple. The armor is 1 solid set all on connection links, not "snap & fit" Parts-forming as some had initially feared.

Overall design is quite nice. But the main weapon- a Cyber Samurai Sword is a bit perplexing. In both the origin episode & initial photographs we saw Prowl with wheel decals on both arms. But the actual wheel is a single piece; it can't break apart to fit on the other arm.

[​IMG]

Samurai's a lot bulkier than his original form but still retains nearly all the same articulation. His stability is a little challenging; there was some difficulty getting him to stand for pics.

[​IMG]

Samurai Prowl's amazingly well-designed and is an overall fun toy despite some very odd alterations. I can't begin to understand why his star-weapons were disabled.

If you don't already have Animated Prowl than I'd say Samurai Prowl is just as good. But if you want the BEST Prowl release from the Animated line then I'd have to say stick with the original.

12. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    Woohoo!!!! The Guyver Transformation

13. The Primes

The Primes Well-Known Member

I expected the sidecar to be a partsformer, put I'm pleasantly suprised to see that it isn't. :) 

14. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice, how about a pic of him & lockdown with a captured Screamer(or Skywarp if you have him)

15. Primus_feather

Primus_feather Well-Known Member

I am THE GUYVER!!!!

16. Zaraxion1021

Zaraxion1021 Cybertronian Monarch

Love that armor!! :thumb  After i get that guy, i'm gonna have to move the regular Prowl out of the shelves.

17. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Awesome pics and review. Thanks a lot - the stars information is very helpful.

Prowl may be my fav toy and this looks to do him one better.

Querry:
    Does the sword hold its position well? That is, the shield doesn't swivel at all, does it?

18. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    How is the helmet attached to its little "arm"? If it's just a ball joint, does the helmet stay on his head well without being connected to the arm?

19. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Sword says just fine. Only the outer wheel section spins. The inner bit of the wheel that the blade attaches to and the outer shell of the wheel assembly are solid and do not move.

It's on a ball joint, but the helmet just rests over Prowl's head, it doesn't snap into place. Removed from the arm it'll sit on his head okay as long as you don't bump or move him, but it's not on all that solidly.

20. Ripclaw

Ripclaw DementedDino1

yeah, i plan on getting him (my current prowl has a broken thumb) and switching their stars around

WHOO!!!!!