2D Artwork: Transformers Animated Protectobots :)

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by MustardwKetchup, May 30, 2010.

?

What Combiner, or group of characters would you like to see next?

1. Combaticons (vortex, onslaught, brawl, blastoff) minus Swindle

82 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. Stunticons (motor master, dragstrip, dead end, wildbreaker, breakdown)

76 vote(s)
    34.4%
  3. Aerialbots (silverbolt, skydive, slingshot, fireflight, air raid)

38 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. Sunstreaker and Sideswipe

25 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. MustardwKetchup

MustardwKetchup Well-Known Member

TFA Protectobots (added Hotspot!)

EDIT:

June 18th, 2010
    -Added Defensor. DONE!

[​IMG]

Woah... Mass shifting like crazy! But I figured... If G1 Defensor can get away with it, then TFA Defensor can too!

And yes... Defensor always has that look on his face. XD it's his *TIME TO DEFEND* face.

My next plan is to Animate the Stunticons. Some early sketches are located at my blog. I will forwarn you. They're very rough, and might not even look close to their final form. XD I just had to get some thoughts out of my head.

And... I'm not really sure what else to say except... FINALLY! XD I'm feeling the fuzzies that people get when they finish a project. School starts next week, so if I'm slow on the progress for the Stunticons, don't worry. Sooner or later I'll get to them. XD In the mean time, go look at the other TFA version characters and other TF art in general. I will respond to old and new comments later tomorrow! Since I'll be driving home for about 16 hours, I think I'll be konked out by the time I reach my place.

I hope you guys have a good day!

June 11th, 2010
    -Added Hotspot
    -Updated Lineup and Upclose Face Shots

It's official! Stunticons will be next! Something new I will do is that I will include the alt modes on their individual sheets.

June 3rd, 2010
    -added Blades and Streetwises profiles
    -added lineup comparison and face chart
    ________

Hello guys!

I’m not totally finished, but I’ll definitely put up with what I have. Transformers animated was one of my favorite cartoons of all time, and it’s honestly the only one since I was like ten, that I actually got up on Saturdays to watch. Since the ending of TFA, my Saturdays are now reserved for late awakenings.. :p 

My favorite combiner team are the Protectobots followed by the Combaticons and the Aerialbots. I’m a big fan of the TFA aesthetic, and I’m really impressed at other people’s takes on various characters in the TFA universe. XD I wanted to try my own hand at designing some past characters. I’m not sure how many of you have the Allspark Almanac (AA II coming out soon!) but I tried to make it very similar to that format. ☺ I’m also kind of sucker for stats….

As for the pictures, I’m sorry that their altmodes aren’t there, I’ll put them in a picture when Defensor is done! I’ll also try to put up the other Protectobots when I’m done with them, just keep a lookout! My TFA Protectobots vary in their differences to their G1 versions. Groove of course is more different than First Aid in comparison to their different versions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Proposed Line-up. ^^; Again, sorry about lack of alt modes. I do not have them finalized in Photoshop yet. Sometimes it's hard for me to judge mass when it comes to transformers, specially with modes that I'm not familiar with. I apologize if Blades looks a bit small or big.

First Aid: Same size as Bumblebee
    Groove: Same size as Prowl
    Blades: Animated version of Universe Blades (2008) Eurocopter Dauphin rescue helicopter.
    Streetwise: Pretty much same as G1 car. I guess the size of his car would be around Jazz's size or maybe even Lockdown.
    Hot Spot: Same size as a Firetruck, bigger than Optimus Prime

[​IMG]

A close up of faces, since the spec sheets seems to swallow them up. And yes, I know First Aid's face is really wibbly. XD I purposely made his face that way, just for effect. :p 

Blades on da.com
    First Aid on da.com
    Groove on da.com
    Streetwise on da.com
    Hot Spot
    DEFENSOR

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  2. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Superslick! Slightly dissappointed that there are no altmodes to see yet, only because that would make these even more 'finished'..but super awesome work!

Nice lines and especially nice colors..Groove for some reason seems to have a somewhat unorthodox palette - in a good way!

One thing I'd like to add is, you may or may not find this advice helpful, you might want to try not to stick too much to official characters' forms and extinctive attributes (like boots, gloves) too much. I've seen designs by people that were really interesting, but they tried too much using an existing character as a base..I think that could hurt the end result, because on the official characters, unless it's a clone or a shared protoform mold, no glove, boot, shoulder pad or chest looks the same. Not even the crotch designs! - I'm saying this because the Blades sketch on your blog already has alot of familiarities with Starscream.

Well, hope that's helpful, I mean it that way anyway, don't try to devalue the KICKASS work that this is!!

I'm off to dA to favorite these little bastards now!

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  3. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Good job,Man And wait to see what your Animated Hot Spot,Streetwise, & Blade looks like.

4. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Awesome.

5. MustardwKetchup

XD thank you kind sir! And don't worry, I really do appreciate your critique. I totally understand about the whole modding off an existing model. :p  I think I was a little hesitant with this project a little, just cause it was the first time for me trying to redesign a character for TFA.

Sometimes, it's a little hard for me to see other shapes besides existing ones, but once I see it, then I'm like... huh!

But all is not lost! XDD The next combiner or group, I'm going to push the shapes a little more, since the ones that I already have seem very similar.

6. Tom-1

Tom-1 Well-Known Member

Wow!

I have to say (and I know I am in the minority here) I tend to like it when the Animated designs share only a passing resemblance to their predecessor. Sure, Prime and Grimlock look cool, but you can't argue with the unique and original style of Starscream, Blurr, Shockwave or Scrapper.

With that said, I really like these looks - they remind me of the random 'gentle' looking Cybertronians we'd see occasionally in the show. First Aid's little face reveal looks especially friendly!

You truly did a magnificent job capturing not only the TFA aesthetic, but making them more than just 'Oh, it's Groove in Animated style!"

Not to take away from your unique contribution, but it's heartbreaking to know that TFA will never see anything like this or Digilaut's Constructicons, or other designs by talented artists. Ah well... there's always our imagination! : D

Tom

7. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    These are terrifc! The designs are great with some very creative touches, the lines are very crisp and match the show's style almost perfectly, the colors are pretty much perfect...Honestly, these almost look like they could have been done by Wyatt himself. Absolutely, without a doubt fantastic, and I can't wait to see more from you!

8. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    This is totally coming from a kitbasher's point of view. while i agree with Digilaut that it's best to not start with a template - to avoid your characters having matching body parts with someone else... artistically and for your own good yes i agree.

But to me - who wants to someday build those - I am happy to see who i could change to make into what you've done.

regardless i applaud how much love went into these. You've done a superb job.

9. RodimusZero

RodimusZero Steezin fo no Reason

News Credits:
    Here's a question, what did you use for those lines, pen tool? I'm still too old fashioned for all this vector stuff, but those lines look really slick.

10. Optimus-wave

Optimus-wave A.K.A. Omega-Wave

hmm, i love all the little details and the bios you gave them! can't wait to see this finished

11. M3Gr1ml0ck

M3Gr1ml0ck Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fantastic work, very accurate and with lots of brilliant ideas everywhere.

12. marvoflg

marvoflg Super Powered Warrior

News Credits:
    The Protectobots have always had a soft spot in my heart and I want to see the rest of these. Too bad Hasbro never made more toys but I sense that our Botcon next year will be very animated. :) 

13. Swiftcat Prime

Swiftcat Prime Good always triumphs!

Oh my goodness First Aid! I like that bot, nice fellow and you just don't see fan art of him often. Great job with these you really have the TFA style down pat. :thumb 
    I would love to see your version of Sunstreaker and sideswipe.

14. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    I love First Aid with that mask!!!

15. SoundFire Prime

SoundFire Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Love what I'm seeing so far. Can't wait for the rest of the Protectobots.

Please, please, please, do the Combaticons next!

16. MustardwKetchup

Thank you sir! They might take a little while. XD real world calls.

Thanks!

I totally understand where you're coming from. TFA was the only cartoon that I woke up in the morning to watch, and that hasn't happened in years! The aesthetic was a little jarring at first, but the stories and the voice acting quickly masked that. XD Then I learned to love it. I was really hoping for more combiner type things besides Safeguard (who was pretty neat), which of course, they only gave us fragments of: Scrapper, Swindle, etc.

I really like the gentle-looking bots too! I wished I could have seen more interactions with the citizens of cybertron, but of course, I don't think a TF series would ever go to that level.

Thank you again for your comment, I really appreciate how... well, in depth it was! XD

*Salutes* Yes Sir! :) 

XD thanks! There's always a good side to everything. :p  I actually did have a lot of fun designing these guys. The p-bots hold a special place in my heart.

Oh jeez... If I tried doing this in vector, I'd probably have a heart attack. But more because I'm not completely used to Illustrator.

But back to your question, I did use the pen tool, size 3. It's a default hard round brush. I had sketched it out first, and then went over it with the hard brush 3. And then layers of color underneath. :)  It's not totally perfect, because in the bigger files, if you zoomed up, there are definitely some jarring edges.

Thanks!

Thank you :p 

*beams* Thank you!

I hope so! I'll definitely try to get them up as soon as I can! XD p-bots are special bots!

Thanks! I'm planning on it definitely in the near future. Of course they'll have their trademark smirks to go along with them.

He's a cutie. XD Just don't look at him with his mask off. You can't resist the cute!

XD We'll see what I' ultimately in the mood for. :p  Sometimes I can't get something done unless I'm up for it. Thank you!

17. MustardwKetchup

Hello guys! I've added Blades and Streetwise, a size layout, and face chart ^^ Enjoy guys

18. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    really nice to see some original animated style designs cant wait for hotspot and Defensor

19. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

the expression on First Aids face on the head chart is priceless.

20. mitchsantona

mitchsantona Seeker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very nice work my friend. I struggle with my lines in Photoshop but these look nice. Keep it coming though. Maybe some Arielbots would be nice, but you automatically get Swindle with the Combaticons.