2D Artwork: Transformers Animated Extended Universe: Episode 1- Rise of The Fallen

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Ligier, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Ligier

Ligier Sweet Angel Deranged

Or "TFA-RotF" for short :p 

Our story begins as Optimus takes up the mantle of acting Magnus in Ultra Magnus' absence, pledging that with Megatron finally in their grasp, they will finally rid the Universe of the Decepticon threat once and for all. An oddity among the Autobots, Hound the bounty-hunter doesn't even need to hear this message before he goes on the hunt for the Decepticon spy Ravage, as he has been hunting this same elusive bounty practically since his days in boot camp. Ravage meanwhile arrives on Earth and makes an alliance with the terrestrial Decepticon, Soundwave to rid him of the annoying Autobot who's already chased him across half the galaxy already.
    ---

This is of course an older drawing while I was still getting used to the inking process. I threw on some colors with Photoshop in the hopes that it would demand more views. Hopefully, with some constructive commentary I'll have the desire to actually continue this project.

You can read Hound's bio in the old thread.

Attached Files:

2. Ligier

Okay so the plan was to reveal designs as I worked through my story's time-line, starting with Ravage and possibly Hound's Alternate Mode. Then I would reveal Soundwave's new drones which could combine into a power-suit for Ravage. Laserbeak, Ratbat, Rumble, Frenzy, and a non-transforming satellite dubbed "Squawktalk." This giant humanoid-mecha version of Ravage would obviously be known as "Battle Ravage."

Then of course the perfectionist in me waffled on my satisfaction with these designs. They probably weren't bad, but I could always find some reason to feel like they weren't complete quite yet. I had considered moving on to the next part of my story where "Optimus Magnus" creates an Elite Guard-like group of his own, known as the "Optimum Force" just to piss off Sentinel. This team would be comprised of various Magic Mushrooms for Optimus Prime throughout his iterations, excluding characters who already have Animated representations and Mini-Cons. Overload, Wing Saber (Plus his partner Padlock, who is not actually a member, but never leaves Wing Saber's side), and Leobreaker are usually lead into battle by the Gurren Lagann-expy named Apex Prime (Representing God/Apex Bomber) when he isn't hunting for his teacher Dai Atlas. I had some very good designs, but I didn't like anything I came up with for Overload. Considering that I envisioned him as the Leader in Apex Prime's absence (Which would be an ongoing, nearly constant state of being) so glossing him over felt wrong.

As I continued to waffle, the second AllSpark Almanac was announced along with the possibility of the Animated adventure being continued. No point wasting all my completed designs trying to weave a story I'd probably never finish, so I decided to post some designs I'm actually satisfied with. Suffice to say, this is pretty much it at the moment.

This is Nightbeat, and just like just about everyone before me to post their designs, he is modeled after Sherlock Holmes to a degree. In my story Nightbeat was a spy who was injured in the Great War and was given new prosthetic arms and an eye cannibalized from various fallen Decepticons. Due to this Nightbeat was sidelined until the War ended while under the watchful eye of his savior and doctor Hardhead (Previously known as Duros, but Nightbeat's nickname for him quickly caught on to his chagrin). Nightbeat decided to open up his own detective agency called the Irregular Detectives of Wildfur-505 (Pay attention to that acronym). Due to most of their cases involving massive danger, Hardhead has hired the self-absorbed bodyguard Drift to watch over Nightbeat as he self-destructively searches for the answers to the Universe. At least that's what he tries to do until Go-Shooter and his "Junior Detectives" show up to help/annoy their Private Eye idol, only amplifying his destructively suicidal dedication to the truth.

If Nightbeat looks a little bit all-over-the-place design-wise, that's definitely intentional. Much like Lockdown is for the Decepticon cause, Nightbeat is the Autobot's Frankenstein-bot (Although not by choice). He wasn't my first attempt at an Autobot whose kibble forms a coat, that honor goes to Windcharger (built-in lab-coat FTW), but he's definitely my favorite attempt. I know that plenty of Animated Transformers have details that look like clothing, but I didn't want to be coy about it. I wanted people to ask "Is that a coat made out of Car-Mode kibble?" His arms can be used as giant magnifying glasses (With a built-in forensics database) and can be transformed into "Fisticuffs Mode" when the Decepticons have taken this Cybertronian gentleman to his limits. I haven't finalized the designs for either of these arm variant modes and probably never will, so feel free to imagine his arm as giant magnifying glass or battle gauntlet. I got the idea for his arms by watching Teen Titans and that's all there really is to be said on the matter.

No matter what you think of this design, I hope you can feel the personality oozing out. As for whether or not I'll finish this story, that all depends on what the future of Transformers Animated holds. If I can still get away with some of my designs once more information becomes canon, I'll definitely try to post some more.

Attached Files:

3. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Well-Known Member

I like nightbeat over hound, but both are good. Your lines on nightbeat are much more solid, a bit too complex in the chest, but that's a minor complaint. Perhaps his head needs a bit more personality or menacing look like a starscream smile. Hound I like, but his lines are too thick (something you got right on nightbeat) and his head doesn't do it for me personally. I'd probably also change the color of his net stick to green or grey and his net to purple which would make it seem more cybertronian. When you color nightbeat work on the animated coloring style. This will help it feel more animated. Use the two tone shading and the slits of lighting used in most designs. There are plenty of artists on this site making animated designs and coloring them in that manner if you need reference. But I do like these, and if you clean up your lines a bit, and work on your coloring you could have something really cool! Keep at it, practice!

4. Ligier

A lot of what you said has to do with time constraints. I'm sure I speak for a lot of the people who have been posting their Animated character designs lately when I say its an odd state of being when you aren't sure how much longer we will have left to post these sort of things with mysterious new TFAni offerings being released. We're all rushing in a way, and although many people make it look easy, it is an inelegant business. I'd love to have had some time to clean up my line-work or start coloring, but its hard to say how much time I've got. I guess you could kind of say that this was rushed out, but its still something I'm proud of. I've probably got more time than I think I do, but that's never stopped me from being paranoid before.

I tried out a couple of smirks on him, but I definitely preferred the deadpan look. There's just something awesome about picturing him beating up Decepticons with his own severed prosthesis with that exact look on his face. As for the chest, it is a little crowded, but areas of varying detail amplify the "Frankenstein" look. I also think it would look more uniform in color, but God knows if I'll ever get around to that.

As for revisiting Hound, I'd just rather not. A lot can be said about not looking back and all that and that pick was one of my first experiments with inking. If I ever decide to change it, it will probably be a complete overhaul. That too, I cannot imagine myself having time for in the near future, nor do I have the inspiration. Who knows? Its kind of refreshing for me as it is, both a reminder of how far I've come while still being one of the most out-there Animated fan-designs out there as well.

5. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Well-Known Member

Very good then. These are things that you should very much be proud of. Never feel rushed for a piece. Look at how many times people have posted animated combaticons. Each person has their own ideas, and no piece is really comparable to another. Just giving you suggestions on your future pieces you present... there will be future pieces right :D  because you certainly got the animated vibe going.

6. Ligier

Well I'm just saying that I would definitely be more receptive to your suggestions or maybe have had done all of those things before posting if I felt I had the time. And its not other fans' designs I'm worried about, its the official stuff. I'd feel silly spending all this time working on this design if a canon TFAni story came out featuring Nightbeat.