Transformers Animated Blackout Review & Pics

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Paladin, May 27, 2010.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    (I searched & only found the video review threads for this guy; if there's something else that qualifies as an official feedback thread please disregard this one)

The Transformers: Animated toyline is one of my favorites in recent memory, but even I cannot argue that it has had relatively poor handling since the beginning. Even now with just a handful of molds left to be distributed Hasbro appears to be unable (or unwilling) to find a venue for them.

Fortunately Takara/Tomy has picked up the slack with their adaptation of the Animated series, giving the obsessive fans like me one more chance to fill the holes in our collections.

Blackout is one such example, originally introduced very briefly in the show's third season & scheduled for a toy release that would add some much-needed muscle to the Decepticon forces.

[​IMG]

Blackout in Vehicle Mode is an attack helicopter. We can ignore the fact that the character never took on an Earth-based form in the series because-yet again- Animated has chosen to incorporate another element of the Transformers multiverse, specifically Michael Bay's Movie-verse. And in that regard Blackout as a chopper makes perfect sense.

The vehicle design is pretty good with a rather impressive arsenal- six gatling guns plus a few missile launchers. As with most helicopter-transformers the rotors occasionally have trouble staying attached.

[​IMG]

Blackout in Robot Mode is a solid fighting force, bulky and heavily armed. Articulation is very good-full movement in arms, legs and waist. He also sports minor articulation in the fingers, which I like. It disappoints me that we couldn't get rotating wrists but IMO that's not a deal-breaker.

A couple people have made some derogatory remarks about Blackout's face, namely comments along the lines of "Robot Wilford Brimley." I'm not sure I see the resemblance but its still funny.

[​IMG]

This is arguably Blackout's signature weapon; his Vehicle Mode's tail rotor becomes a disc-launcher. Nice change of pace from the regular swords or cannons but it does disappoint me that the tail rotor can't fit anywhere else in Robot Mode.

[​IMG]

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with Blackout (though as a lifelong Animated Addict that cannot be a surprise). He's a solidly-designed mold with a large amount of play value. Everything I could want from a Transformer toy!

2. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

:drool: :cry 

3. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Nice review and pics

4. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
  6. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Excellent figure and it seems like it is much better than the visually awesome but disappointing mold-wise movie Blackout(best looking voyager from TF1, worst voyager mold out of the line). I really hope this baby can be brought stateside, voyager Diabeetus FTW!

7. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :tumbleweed: 
    ^this is me waiting at the mailbox for mine to get shipped/arrived.

:popcorn 
    ^and this is me looking at the pics above.

am so ready to hold this Diabeetus Care Package.

thanks for the posting.

8. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    June 2nd mine is scheduled to be delivered. I cant wait for new Animated goodness. :) 

BO looks to be a great figure and TFTM BO is one of my fav. figures from the first movie. I guess it helps I have a thing for helicopter TFs.

9. wgoodman

wgoodman Big Bot

Awesome pics. I can't wait for mine to get here.

10. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    Wilford Brim...I mean Blackout looks awesome. Can't wait to get mine.

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pros:
    * Excellent looking design in both modes. It's basically the movie Blackout design distilled to keep all the badass and filter out nearly all of the superfluous crap.

* The tail rotor disc weapon is surprisingly fun.

* The Takara version has a strong color scheme, and most of the differences improve on the Hasbro version. Only thing I would have preferrred from the Hasbro toy are the beadier eyes, but I already addressed that on this version.

Cons:
    * Suffers from the same "little big bot" syndrome all 'thick' TF:A character toys do, and is pretty short as a result. To it's credit, the toy actually looks pretty large when not put side-by-side with something else.

* Has some of the worst articulation in the TF:A line (more from a practical sense, than a 'number of joints' sense) The arms can't be angled away from the body, and are limited to 'evil clutch' or 'gimme some change' poses, which is hard to forgive considering how simple that area is transformation-wise.

* The disc weapon can't go anywhere when not clipped to the arm in robot mode, and looks pretty doofy when it is attached to the arm. (and can't be ignored, as it's the tail of the chopper)

Overall: If not for some really glaring flaws, this would be a truly top-notch Animated toy. Even so, the imposing look still goes a long way.

12. TimToyGeek

TimToyGeek Well-Known Member

I've actually found you can get the tail weapon to store on Blackout's back if you angle it just right. Face the weapon so that the side with the two fins are to the left, and insert the fin part into the open slot on the left side of Blackout's back.

If you angle the fin right you can catch a small cylinder inside the slot - you'll want to have the top of the fin just visible poking out of the shoulder. The side of the chopper should stay together fine, and the launcher stays on his back reasonably well. The rotors cover it up, and there's your place to store the weapon in robot mode.

It's not a perfect solution, but it's a workable one.

Tim
    "toy geek"

13. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i tried all sorts of ways to get it on the back and couldnt, why nothing was made so it could fit on the back surprised me, would have been nice.

14. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I think that's my only gripe with BO as well. A small tab or something to hang the launcher off his back would have been a great tiny addition. I'll try the way the guy a couple posts up mentioned though.

15. Bent_Lee

Bent_Lee Crippled Asian Rapper

Just got my Japan-amated Black-Out today. Really like the figure, all the extra details and paint-apps hide his smallish size, until he is displayed with anything larger than an activator of course. Still don"t know if it is worth more than two full-price voyagers, but am still delighted to have it (or any new Animated).

16. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know this is 15 days late but... pics :) 

I love this figure. Only complaint is no proper elbows.

17. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Got mine in the other day. Very nice figure indeed. Definitely one of my favorite TFA molds out of the toyline.

18. kylash327

kylash327 TOOOOOOYS!

News Credits:
    anyone else have issues with the disk not staying in the tailfin at all? Mine just falls out and sits too low inside, like nothing is holding it. Is there supposed to be some clip or something on the inside top of the tailfin?

19. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pictures, click on the image above

Robot Mode: Let’s get the most obvious thing out of the way first. Blackout suffers from the exact same problem as his namesake (Movie Blackout) and multiple other Voyager-class figures such as Lugnut and Bulkhead: He’s too small. Much of his mass goes into general bulk, so there isn’t enough left over for height. He should be at least twice as tall as he is, seeing as most Deluxe figures are just as tall or even tower over him.

With that out of the way, let’s focus on the actual figure. Animated Blackout’s robot mode is formed much the same way as Movie Blackout’s. The cockpit splits in half and forms the outer sides of his chest, the rear assembly becomes the legs and the rotor hangs off his back like a cape. Only four of the six rotor blades can hang straight down, though, the remaining two stick out sideways. Not sure why they didn’t make a complete rotor-cape here, but it still looks pretty good. Animated Blackout looks a lot stockier than his relatively lean-looking Movie counterpart, with very short legs, massive torso and arms, and a tiny little head with an adoringly cute little mustache. I’m not sure why, but I love that little head of his and it reminds me of some other fictional character, but I haven’t been able to figure out which one yet.

Blackout’s posability is quite nice except for the fact that he can’t raise his arms sideways at the shoulders. Puts some restrictions on his poses, but it’s not a big thing. Weapon-wise he certainly can’t complain. Missile launchers on arms and shoulders, Gatling cannons on his torso, and he can clip the rear rotor from his vehicle mode to either arm (just fold in the claws) and launch a big spinning disc from it. Speaking of claws, Blackout has very nice ones with individually articulated ‘fingers’. Very nicely done. So all in all a very nice Animated robot mode with only some very minor mishaps.

Alternate Mode: Blackout never had an Earth-mode in the cartoon series, but if he had, it would in all probability have looked like this: a simplified, Animated-style version of the same kind of gunship / helicopter that Movie Blackout transformed into. Massive, held aloft by six rotor blades, a double missile launcher on each side, smaller missiles near the rotor, and two Gatling cannons on top of the cockpit. Sadly the helicopter is missing a proper landing gear, but that’s pretty much its only fault. The detailing is, of course, less pronounced than with the Movie version, but it fits the Animated style to a T, so no complaints here. All in all a good, if slightly boring vehicle mode.

Remarks: The Animated series was filled with homages to past characters and events, both vintage and very recent. Blackout is, of course, homage to a very recent character, namely the Movie Decepticon of the same name. Same alternate mode, same basic look, just vastly different styles. Blackout only appeared in a single episode of the Animated series (“Transwarped”), where he was part of Team Charr (along with Strika, Oil Slick, Cyclonus and Spittor) and helped trash an Autobot team led by Rodimus Prime. His tech spec calls him the largest and most powerful Decepticon of them all, having taken out multiple Omega-class robots during the final days of the war.

As a toy Blackout is nothing more and nothing less than an Animated version of Movie Blackout. He suffers from the same problem (too small), but also exhibits the same coolness. I’m glad that this one-episode character did manage to make his way into the toyline. He’s not the best Animated toy, but he’s definitely much closer to the top than the bottom and well worth getting for all Animated and Blackout fans.

Rating: B

20. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, i'm late to the party but this is one of my favorite Animated molds! Easily top 3 in my opinion:2c: . Love this guy... armed to the teeth, Great claws to snatch up autobots. The lack of shoulder movement kinda sucks but this figure makes up for it. Well worth the 40 I spent on it:dj 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]