2D Artwork: Transformers Animated BARRICADE

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Digilaut, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey everyone!

Decided to give one of my favorite TF movie characters the Animated restyle (hey, if Blackout gets in, so can Barricade!). Hope you will like it!

As you can see it's an entirely new design made from scratch - no existing character model was used as a base, but of course I did use movie Barricade and the general Animated style for insipration.

When looking at some fan art made by other people I have noticed most of them are pretty much 'just' G1 characters in Animated proportions. On studying the Animated characters I feel that, even though the G1 or other series' characters are used as a base, they don't look like their previous counterparts 1 to 1. Animated adds new design elements and twists to existing characters, so I tried to put that into Barricade as well.

I have designed him with the look of a 'bad cop': in robot mode, he wears his Decepticon symbol on his belt, and his feet are robotic cowboy boots (along with tracks in the form of his tires).

Another trait I took from his movie counterpart was his treacherous, deceiving nature. Being smaller than most Decepticons, he has to rely on lying and tricking humans and Autobots alike, perhaps even by pretending to be a 'good cop'/'good Decepticon' (I can envision him talking kindly to an Autobot, while putting his Decepticon badge on a desk, pretending to talk 'outside of the book', only to betray him in the end). Because of this, I've given him a hunched weakling's build.

Next to that, I decided to give his face a slight twist to make him more recognizable: his face is actually a screen on which an audiotrack is seen. When not talking, these have the shape of pointy teeth, but when he is talking, the line moves heavily (like an audiotrack or heartbeat).

And finally, I decided to do away with his door-wings. I was originally going to use them, but removed them for the following reasons:
    1. it was becoming too cluttered.
    2. I feel it does not fit within the Animated style (no bot has been seen with this trait).
    3. Although I felt it made Barricade recognizable in the movie, he's not the only bot to wear them, so they are more 'general' anyway.

Anyway, tell me what you like/dislike! :) 

Animated FTW!!
    (by the way, it's a slightly big file. Give it some time to load!)

UPDATE: 11 October 2009
    MAGIC RESURRECTION THREAD!

I made some small changes to this design..I removed the pupils from the eyes, and made the eyes a bit smaller. I changed the Decepticon logo to the one used on the Animated production artwork (not the promo art), as well as the hilights (only used in promo artwork as well).

Finally, I also made a movie colors variant.

Attached Files:

2. TfaShockwave

TfaShockwave Banned

bi dont like the face....

3. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I like it!

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    That looks really cool. I really like the idea of his mouth being a little screen like that. That combined with the overall look of him makes him look kinda like a vampire, imo. Now all he needs is his little buddy Frenzy. I'd definitely buy a toy version of this design. It's too bad it'll never happen. Keep up the good work :thumbs2: 

5. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

Nice concept! I like the face, seems like a nice change.

6. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    very very cool

7. Digilaut

News Credits:
    Well, maybe if we keep bothering Hasbro long enough they will snap and do it! :lol  Then people would harass me for not getting a toy of an 'official' character. Uh oh!

Thanks for the kind words everybody!

8. joopsta

joopsta Masterpiece, Encore and 3P collector

News Credits:
    I love it. As most of the Animated designs I've seen in this section.
    Since I am learning more and more about photoshop, I might throw in a couple of designs myself soon.

9. Cerberus

Cerberus Shockwave loyalist

News Credits:
    i like the bot look
    but the car is not enough evil looking (need more agressive style)

10. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Neat. I especially like the instructions at the bottom.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The car is the actual police car model used in the show.

It's very cool, regardless. I like the face a lot.

12. Digilaut

News Credits:
    Thanks again everyone! And yes, as SPLIT LIP pointed out, I used the police car that they've used in the show. I guess one could make it more aggressive to make it stand out more (maybe different/armored rims, etc), but pretty much every TF in the series scans a vehicle and takes its design without mods, except for the colors, so that's why I made it the exact car. :) 

I just remember, there was more to tell about this design. You might not care at all, but I'll put it here anyway. :)  I had a slightly hard time thinking up a design for his hands. The wheels where an obvious choice to implement, were it not that OIL SLICK kinda stole the wheelhands design! So tried to do them differently, rather than straighout copy them. By placing them this way, Barricade can use them as weapons, attacking Autobots with burning rubber marks! Take that! POW!

13. Cerberus

News Credits:
    yeah i know its the regular police car of the show, but barricade isnt a REGULAR police car in the movie, he's a model of powered and renforced pursuit unit (i dont think cops use mustang saleen mounted with reinforced front grill for impact as regular car, they do?), so you can pretty much made him a personnalised car model, no?

14. Digilaut

News Credits:
    You're absolutely right. When it comes down to it though, I had to make a choice between regular or beefed up, and I picked regular blend. I can totally see why you'd like a more aggressive police car!

I think being what kind of a police car is dependant on his role though. I doubt he'd be able to blend in and sabotage captain Fanzone's units were he a different styled police car (just an example of what could happen). The movie is of course a different story. Ratchet was a more aggressive ambulance in the movie as well (one designed for special 'extreme' circumstances)...

Maybe I'll do a variation at some point, but I don't think that would be anytime soon. Thanks for sharing your opinion and explaining why you feel that way though, it gives good insight for me on how to improve!

15. Crazymadman

Crazymadman Dewbot leader

that looks really awesome!

16. Cerberus

News Credits:
    good point for the infiltration part, im maybe too much fan of the movie badass car model:D 

17. Digilaut

News Credits:
    Oh don't worry, the Saleen Mustang IS an awesome car! :bay 

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Awesomesauce! :thumb 

19. Pepsiman98

Pepsiman98 Consulting Criminal

srry about this but could you give him a recon barricade deco? i just want to see how that would look on him

20. SoundFire Prime

SoundFire Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, just, wow!