Transformers: Animated Appreciation and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Ironhide1706, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

Please merge or delete if necessary.

Now let's get to discussing why we love Animated, or even what we think it could have done better.

I'll start off by saying that Megatron, Optimus and Blitzwing are my favourite incarnations of their characters ever, the perfect versions. I also adore Lockdown.

2. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    Yay Animated! I love TFA. My favorite series next to BW. The setting was colorful, the characters had personality, and there isn't a bunch of goddamn MacGuffins. Better than Prime, I'll say.

Also: the complaints about the art style is a bunch of bullshit.

3. Jazzfan0217

Jazzfan0217 Just chillin'

I'll give it a big thumbs up :thumb ! It was a really good show, I'm actually kinda sad it ended so quickly.

4. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    I absolutely loved it! I can never get enough of S3, especially Transwarped.

5. bossman328

bossman328 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    great show...great toys

6. emilyhall205

emilyhall205 Well-Known Member

Animated is definitely my favourite TF show: I personally loved the art style and I loved how each of the characters had unique personalities. I also liked how each of the main Autobot team had some form of back story/flashback which helps to show why it is they acted the way they did and how it affected them, which made them unique and entertaining to watch.

Plus TFA had some pretty awesome voice acting and a really good toyline. And Animated had the Almanacs which really helped expand on the series, and helped with the world building

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Animated was the last real Transformers series for me. It had everything. Great characters, great toys, originality, huge universe. It wasn't derivitive. Everything old was new again. Optimus was completely different, Megatron was different, yet it all stayed true to Transformers. It was the last time Transformers for me felt genuine. The movies are too much of a franchise, which I'm okay with, but it's not my favorite thing in the world like Animated was at the time. The games and Prime are just derivitive and boring with no originality. Everything is lifted wholesale from past series but never fleshed out or improved upon.

Even not comparing to current series Animated still stands tall. The characters and the world were just so engaging. Cybertron was full of life and the human world was buzzing with unique ideas being set in the future and all. The stories were unique and every character was fully fleshed out and realised. I never really felt like any of the main characters were ever lacking. The conflict was genuine and believable, the villains were competant but retained that humourous aspect, and it wasn't black and white. Transwarped is one of the heaviest things TF has ever had on screen and has yet to be topped. Autobots using WMDs, Sari upgrading herself, all that jazz. Even before Transwarped we had great moments. Like Megatron's ressurection, hands down the best dramatic Megatron return ever, bar-none.

The art style was fantastic, finally focusing on characterful designs instead of everone just following the same body structure and aesthetic. Every character you could just look at and tell what they were like. Optimus was heroic and powerful, but lean and athletic. Megatron was large and forboding but clean and sophisticated.

I seriously hope there's another show of Animated's caliber in the future. Prime doesn't even begin to cut it.

8. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Bumblebee should've been replaced Hot Shot, and should've developed more as a character as a result.

Ratchet and Prowl should've been replaced with Red Alert, and should've had more aspects of that character.

With the main cast being reduced from 5 to 4, another character should've been added. Perhaps Landmine to serve as the "old, war-withered" character that Ratchet had filled.

9. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Took me a while to get the joke.

Thanks for reminding me of what Animated also saved us from: the shit-fest that was the Unicron Trilogy. Could you imagine if we had gotten another crappy anime dub instead of Animated? Man, Animated made me proud to be a Transformers fan. Before the movies is was a guilty pleasure of badly drawn comics and horrible cartoons. Then they hit and brought Transformers into the public eye, and all the old fans were rewarded with the best cartoon in years.

10. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    For me and Transformers, Animated was like getting heart transplant. Because Transformers was nearly dead to me until I saw that series. I was hook by the first episode, it was like I was discovering what made me love Beast Wars once more.

I like TFP, but I would quit watching that series in a second if Animated was back with new episodes.

11. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    Did you want TFA or another shitty instalment of the Unicron trilogy?

12. Stardust262

News Credits:
    I wanted TFA with characters I like.

13. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    Well I (and many, many other fans) wanted Animated to last longer, we can't have everything now, can we?

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I love TFA. I'm sick of hereing the art style is the reason this show sucks.

I love this incarnation of Optimus Prime and Megatron. The great titans in this continuity never once met before Transform and Roll out and that was a genius new twist to the show.

Also brought in some new dudes like Bulkhead, Lugnut, Lockdown, Slipstream and Sentinel Prime.

The story was very good something Transformers: Prime still has trouble doing and while I like Prime I can't help but think TFA knew what it was doing even if some of the idea where made up on the spot.

The shows real faults is the annoying Super Villians and the fact Season 4 was never made oh and the lack of Marauder Megatron and Hot Shot toys. :( 

15. Stardust262

News Credits:
    Of course not, I was simply saying what I would've changed.

16. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    So you're idea of characters you like are boring, two-dimensional nobodies who all basically act the same?

Because I don't recall, outside of the voices, Landmine being a war-withered old guy, or Hotshot undergoing deep developement, or Red Alert being in any way an improvement over Prowl. What did Red Alert even do? And Hot Shot's "developement?" He wanted to win a race, then did so. Whoooo.

I don't recall Landmine ever having any character developement or story behind him. Certainly not to the level of Ratchet's pre-war guilt for Omega Supreme and Arcee. Nor did I recall Red Alert ever having the inner struggle Prowl did over losing the Protoforms and not completing his cyber-ninja training.

You want TFA with likable characters? Well, you got it already.

To what goal, though? Change a few names, remove important developement?

That's like saying I'd "improve" Batman TAS by replacing Batman with his 60's coutnerpart, changing all the names and personalities and taking out all the best episodes.

17. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    Guess you missed it when Red Alert and Hotshot showed up in TFA...

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I think what Stardust suggests is that they could put the UT characters in the same roles of the current cast. I mean Ratchet wasn't always a grouchy veteran nor was Prowl a ninja before TFA. Honestly you can do anything with the character's name.

19. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    But why would you? Is a name that important? He's incapable of liking these characters because they don't have his prefered names? And he's not just suggesting changing names, he's saying to replace entire characters and change their stories, like fusing Ratchet and Prowl into Red Alert. WTF?

20. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Best Transformers show to date. Season 4 would have been amazing.
    Me too. Really stupid reason to hate on it, considering everything else about the show is good.