Transformers and The Matrix Movie comparisons

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Prowl, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was trying to give my girlfriend a rundown of the old G1 Transformer history and I found myself comparing it to The Matrix movie in reverse.

In The Matrix, Humans create robots in order to help with chores and tasks that were dangerous, etc etc. They were made for pleasure and to serve. After developing a soul, the robots began rebelling on us and sent us into hiding in a city beneath the earth.

Rewind 13 or so years, to 1986-87. Season 3 of Transformers. The Quints built robots to help in the creation of factories to mine a rock. The factories eventually grew into what became Cybertron. The Robots developed personalities and the notion of rebellion, and eventually drove away their creators from Cybertron.

To us, the Robots from The Matrix were the "guilty/innocent" culprits and we are trying to take our home back.

The quints were bad guys in the old show, so in The Matrix, while we may cheer Neo and Co. on, we kinda deserved what we got, especially if you see the Animatrix and how the robots were being treated.

I know a lot of people hate the Quint storiline, but to me, especially when a movie paralleling it came out over ten years later, I think the history of the Transformers in Season 3 reveals deeper thought on the writers of the show than the typical "Skeletor is just bad." Megatron and the decepticons were programmed as warriors to fight in battle arenas for the Quints, while the Autobots were creators and manufacturers, so it was in their nature to create. When the Quints were driven off-world, the Warrior clan needed to continue with their programming, despite their desire for freedom, so they sought conquest.

This little history is, imo, what separates Transformers from other 80's cartoon, and I remember as a kid, and even now, thinking that this was when Transformers became more than just a 22 minute commercial: when the writers decided to give them a true history.

13 years later a movie came out with the same story in reverse, Organic vs. Machines that rebelled (yes I know there were other movies like this before, but The Matrix really reminded me of TFs). So for a 20 year old cartoon to have a history basis that would later become a popular movie says a lot about Transformers.

I like Primus, and I like that "creation" story, but the Quint storiline will always be my favorite because it has more substance, and in a strange sort of way, is more viable.

Perhaps if the bots from the Matrix had eventually finished us off, they would have gone to war with eachother, and invaded another planet and met an alien boy named Spike.

Face it....we're Quintessons. Some might say we even have Five Faces of Darkness.

2. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Thats like really deep and I totally understand what your saying...

EPIC WIN!!!!

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    heheh, thanks. Woo!

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    What about shows like Beast Wars and Animated, who also have rich characters, deep storylines, and certainly as much history as was given in G1? You're completely right about how transformers really created a universe with a grander scale and better defined characters than many shows of its era, but how do you feel about G1's history stacking up to other series or continuties (eg. the marvel comics)?

Also, its an interesting connection you've found here. The idea of "creations/slaves rebel against their (possibly corrupt) creators/opressors" as a storyline has been around for thousands of years, and is even pretty common in application to robots, but you've found an interesting juxtaposition in how in one story, the same actions are viewed as evil, and in another, they're viewed as good. I think there's probably not much real connection between the two, no more than the story of King Arthur is connected to the original Star Wars trilogy, but who knows, maybe the Wachowski bros. were big tf fans as kids. In either case, do you feel that the humans in the matrix are really like the Quintessons? Do you feel that maybe the cybertronian point of view of history exaggerates the evil of the quintessons?

Me, I think not. I think the humans in the matrix were no more evil than we view ourselves, but that the matrix simply had a different point of view, driven by cold, shockwave-style logic, and that the two views were simply uncompatible, and thus war errupted. I think that's the real tragedy of the matrix (other than how tragically bad the 2nd and 3rd movies were compared to the 1st. Zing.), that robot and man could probably have negotiated and lived together in harmony, as happened at the end, but because they were unwilling in the beginning, both were nearly wiped out and the human race was enslaved, showing robots to be capable of the same sins they fought against.

In the case of the quintessons, and the cybertronian view of history, I think its probably pretty accurate and the quintessons are simply evil. I mean, generations after cybertron had gained its freedom, they came across the quintessons, who were as cruel and murderous as ever, and still trying to subjucate cybertronians and the rest of the galaxy. They killed for amusement, thought nothing of setting entire races at war against eachother, and were generally pretty big jerks who showed no redeemable qualities other than their ability to repair transformers if you more or less put a gun to their heads.

So I guess there's some similarities and some differences between the matrix and transformers, as would be expected. Can you think of any other movies that share aspects with the transformers?

What about Star Wars: A New Hope. Its the story of a young, inexperienced hero noone thinks much of besides an old veteran, but who nonetheless has a great destiny, to become a hero for the ragtag bunch of rebels trying to bring freedom to their homeworlds. And in the process, he gains an understanding of his mystical powers and uses them to destroy a planet-sized evil weapon. Sound like Transformers: The Movie?

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, the story of Transformers: The movie is absolutely a coming of age, hero story: Well elements of it are, much like Star Wars, but individual episodes or movies, in the Transformers bible aren't what I was sighting in regards to TFs being stronger than a lot of 80s cartoons. Episode after episode, in G1, we did see the "Foiled" again repetition and the basic good vs evil in each episode. It's the history developed for the bots in Season three where I was, and still am, impressed by what they came up with back then.

And while as a whole, I could agree that the quints were evil, while humanity isn't as much, perhaps it is in the perspective that to eachother we are civil and honorable (for the most part), but if they were merely looking at the TFs as machines, then I could definitely see Humans being just as evil from the perspective of the robots. Pleasure-bots who had developed feelings would not be able to object to being used for an organic's pleasure, or as in The Animatrix, robots, begging for their life were dismantled in public to a cheering crowd. The quints shared respect for their own kind but viewed the Transformers as nothing more than malfunctioning machines. In the Animatrix the Robots came to us to search for a truce and we destroyed their dimplomats. I could definitely see the Quints pulling that as well.

I'm glad you mentioned BW and Animated, because, yes I do agree that they also have a rich storyline and characterization. And I really like BA's background in Animated.