Transformers and Star Wars... Why?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by socko76, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. socko76

socko76 Well-Known Member

I just purchased two of the new Star Wars/Transformers figures which just arrived in Canada... and I will be returning them tomorrow.

For anyone who has not grabbed them, save your cash. Really, the only redeaming factor is the packaging. If you are a "Mint in Box" collector go ahead but if you are opening them up, prepare for crap.

First of all, The robot modes are horrible. You know how some Transformers look like they have bad robot modes but then when you get them they aren't half bad? These look worse. The arms are mis-sized, misplace on the torso, and just looks completley cheap. If this was made by another company, I would not be surprised but the fact that Hasbro can do better makes this so much worse. I built better robots as a kid with Lego! How bad are the robot modes? The only real picture of them on the entire package is on the liitle 2-inch spinny thing, They don't post this kind of crap on the back.

Second, they are cheap plastic. When you are transforming something and a part is so thin that it looks like it will break before you are done, that's just horrible. Obi Wan's legs are so thin and feeble, you'd think the thing is modeled after your grandpa. Again, Hasbro should know better.

Third, they are North American designed. I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure this was not brought to us by anybody on the takara side. This is a Star Wars vehicle that changes into a crappy Star Wars action figure not a Star Wars vehicle that transforms into a robot. Honestly, this is a Go-Bot not a transformer. Anyone who has been with Transformers since 1984 will be able to tell: From transformation to robot mode, these are fake wanabees.

In conclusion: Avoid. Avoid. Avoid. the Alt. modes are very nice (the best part of these things) but the robots are just horrible. Unless you are keeping them sealed. STAY AWAY!!!

You have been warned...

2. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

LOL I agree these things are Crap I bought one and didn't bother picking up the rest I say they are clearance material soon

3. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, from what I've heard they were designed by Hasbro. Even worse, they were done by Hasbro's Star Wars team and not the guys that do Transformers.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I have neverhad any inclination whatsoever to even pick one of these monstrosities up. As far as I am concerned, this is the worst set of designs I have ever seen. I wish the line a quick death, so that the shelf space it clogs up can be devoted to decent Transformers.
    Or, more likely knowing Hasbro UK, more shitty Action Man rubbish.

5. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I have seen them all...passed on them all...they are abominations! Should not have been made...You could just tell that they were going to be cheap flimsy Crap from the get go! They are not transformers, they are not even star wars....they are Ugly crappy MUTANTS....and not the cool ones that are in X-men LOL :) 

6. Tannerbot2000

Tannerbot2000 Well-Known Member

are they that bad? i keep seeing them, and i keep thinking about it, but i have yet to take the plunge, and now i guess im glad, and $15 is too much to pat for a sub dx sized tf anyway

7. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    ive bought the Obi-Wan one and i like it

I'm gonna buy 'em all
    Sure some of the bot modes arent surprisingly awesome but i like the fact that they're fairly accurate depictions of the star wars vehicles. I consider it a bonus that they transform.

Finally i can buy me some sweet-axe SW vehicles without buying the ginormous expensive ones made "to scale" for the SW figs

Personally i dont see why all the hate
    *pets*

some people just like different stuff

kinda like me

i despise Mini-cons with a passion and think its one of the worst gimmicks Hasbro has thought up yet

but i bet half of you would love to say otherwise

8. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I've bought Obi Wan so far. He's very, very awesome! I haven't picked up the others yet, but I recommend Obi Wan for sure.

9. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

They suck hard. wont be buying them

10. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

they're horrible... but a good kind of horrible. Come on, they're Star Wars Transformers... how can we (meaning me mostly) not buy them?

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    look at it from a SW merchandising viewpoint. they will license ANYTHING. console yourself knowing that there has been SW theme garden sprinklers.

12. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Apparantly, Grievous is the only real transformer who is well thought out and desgined well. The rest are just, like what has been said before, cheap, bulky, plastic pieces of sh!t. Who wants a transformer that takes 3 slight twists and turns to do a complete transformation...not me.

13. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I've got them all. These things rock. I don't regret buying them. :) 

flipchangers? Spychangers? minibots? minicons? micromasters? most of the combiner limbs? There are lots of TFs that have simpler transformations then the SW tfs. :lol 

14. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I may buy Grevious just to give it a shot. Can't find Vader anymore. :thumbdown 

15. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I've got Vader and Obi-wan... the vehicle modes are sweet, the only real inaccuracy with Obi-wan is his wings don't sweep downward.

Vader's bot mode is crappy, plain and simple. Incredibly simple transformation, that really could be better. His bot mode looks nothing like the artwork on the front of the package! Avoid this one.

Obi-wan on the other hand is actually pretty cool, especially once you do that modifcation posted in the toyark, by knocking out the pins restraining his hands you get a lot more motion out of his arms.

Having said all this though, if the Star Wars team did design these without help from the Transformer's designers, then shame on them. Little things that would make the toys better, (things that are standard now on most Transformers) have been glaringly omitted, for instance TF's have standard sized hands for the most part for interchangable weapons, do these? Nope, so no Starwars Targetmaster couplings here.

Another suggestion I'd make is Obi-wan's wings in bot mode are held back by a couple of pins... if I were the designer on this I would have turned those pegs into Minicon pegs, just for that extra play factor.

In fact, now I've said it I'm going to find some suitable plastic tubing, a drill and get to work. Obi-wan is my new project!

16. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Dude, you so gotta get Vader. He is ten times better than Obi-Wan. Grevious looks good, but is a bit too fragile. Poor design IMO. Luke is ok, but not near as good as Vader and Obi... Did you do the arm mod to Obi-Wan that gives him more articulation and removes 78% of his suckiness?

I'm with you on that one. I couldn't stand minicons in Armada. Was glad they weren't gonna be prevelant in Energon. Everyone on the boards were screaming bloody murder. They wanted to know why they weren't getting minicons? Different strokes for different folks.

17. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I like 'em, I'll buy them all. They do need a bit of modification to work right, but I don't mind...makes me feel like I accomplished something cool.

Grevious seems to be the favorite, but I hate him. He falls apart on a dime and can't even stand up. All the others are solid.

P.S. What's with all these "Why does this suck, ect. ect." threads? It's getting old.

Nobody really cares how much you hate something.

18. fastlane1987

fastlane1987 Mr. Plow

TESTIFY!!!

19. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love the fact that Hasbro UK took 6 months to release Cybertron, but that they got SW TFs out before they were even reported as being available in Canada.

When Archer stopped just short of saying 'I disown these toys' at Botcon, to me, any hope for the quality of the line seemed extinguished.

I think these will be around for a long time yet tho.....

Can't wait to see the Vader/Palpatine/Stormtrooper/Tie Figther Pilot set that merges into the Death Star.

20. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes, Grievous, the worst of the bunch due to joint tolerances and simply *too many joints*, is well designed. I'd say you're kinda shooting down your own claim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.