Transformers and G.I.Joe

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Hiro Prime, May 28, 2006.

1. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Transformers and G.I.Joe... Two great lines of toys that like the old PB&J, work great together as well as separate toy lines. This idea is further supported by a number of comics that have been done over the last two decades.

So why bring this idea up again? What's the point as some may ask since Hasbro seems unlikely to ever combine the lines. (Which if you think, wouldn't be that hard since they own both franchises.) Well, there are those who said they'd never make Star Wars Transformers and Animorphs (an idea worse than having Han shoot first) was another crossover line.

With Hasbro seemingly wanting to make more fan friendly lines of TF's, (Alts and Classics) would now be a good time to reapproach the idea? DON did a couple of awsome designs for a Prime and Megatron recently and it's not like there isn't any kind of acceptable story that a line could be based off of. The point then becomes why not?

And yet IF Hasbro did want to look at doing something like this, how would they go about it? What would you want to see as a line? Here are a few ideas to discuss. (and please feel free to add your own to the mix)

1. Something like SWTF where Joes become the robot - This is something that is currently being done and could be used as a model for a G.I.Joe Transformers line. The Joes would be bots that would transform into a various Joe and Cobra vehicles. This idea has been done somewhat with the DDP comics. (no the Joe mechs didn't Transform but they did have them.)

This would make the line a little cheaper to make and buy since they'd be in the same price range as the SWTF's. But would we really want Transforming Joes? The current SWTF's get's a lot of flak from both fans groups. (Despite the toys seemingly selling well)

2. A line of 3 3/4 inch Joes that would be sold with a scaled Transformer to interact with. This would be a somewhat expensive line since you would be getting two toys in one package. And there are a few ways that this could go. One of which would be to ask if the TF's would be their classic selves in updated bodies, or would they be classic Joe/Cobra vehicles that the first DDP mini series was based on?

A line like this would have to resurect the 3 3/4 inch line since the current Joe line would be too expensive to work in scale with TF's. That said, and it would make a lot of 3 3/4 inch fans happy, Hasbro really wouldn't have to create entirely new molds for the Joes. And not all of the TF's would have to be huge. A number of small bots/cons (say like Soundwave minions) could come with a Joe/Cobra as a Transformable Weapon. (like Action Masters but done right) Also Joes/Cobras could be sold without the TF's and a few Roll Play TF's could be included like G1 to give the kids a sense that they were a Joe or Cobra working with a Bot/Con win the day.

3. A line of just TF's that are current to their scales today as G.I.Joe vehicles. This would make for an intresting line for fans of both but kind of leaves out a real Joe presense. It would be about as difficult to make as the Classics line I would guess. (and they could reuse Snowcat if they wanted to)

These are just a few of my thoughts. I'd like to hear your's. Discuss.

2. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Of those three options, #3 sounds best, #1 the worst, #2 would be the best but it's unlikely unless they were kept to small nonsense vehicles like the $10 Joe Bravo class, which would make it lame.

There's another option though that seems financially realistic on Hasbro's part at least. The new 2.5" Sigma 6 line has much smaller vehicles than are needed for 3 3/4". A TF/Joe line in that scale just might work.

Sigma 6 was/is pretty successful; Hasbro is banking on that carrying over to the 2.5" line. There are already two SW/TF crossover lines in SWTFs and Attacktix (three if you count Titanium). There's not been a lot of indication that Sigma 6 will continue. The 2.5" line could be morphed into a 2.5" Joe/TF line if/when they're done with S6. Realistic, but dunno how likely.

3. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't have the Joe characters be the robot modes. The best line would be TF characters that the Alt Mode was GIJoe vehicles. See the GIJoe/TF comic series from a few years ago.

A big issue I have with the SW/TF line (besides qualtiy) is that besides a name on the package, the line has nothing to do with Transformers. They are just SW ships that turn into a robot driven by a character. Way more Gundam than Transformers but Hasbro doesn't own Gundam so Transformers is the only robot line they could use. If they truely wanted to combine SW & TF, it would have beeen Autobots & Decepticons whose alt modes were Star Wars vehicles.

I'd say make GIJoe figures about an inch tall and then make Autobots& Decepticons that turn into GIJoe vehicles. The inch tall figures could be put in the seats similar to Diaclone men. The reason I say an inch tall for the humans is that then larger Joe vehicles like the Havok could be made and not end up costing that much.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I think the SWTF thing is a licensing deal. Lucasfilm probably has to greenlight each vehicle / character choice ahead of time, and probably don't want that kind of cross pollenation. It's also why, I think, the vehicle modes are almost always done so well to the extent that the robot modes suffer. I think that there is a requirement for the vehicles to be as faithful as possible.
    Though I'd love to see Seekers done as Tie Fighters.

I agree with you on the scaling for the GI Joe toys. Make the Joes little mini-figures who have transforming versions of their different vehicles. I'd love to see a mixture of Joe and TF inspired robot modes, though. Things like Serpentor and Cobra Commander could look very nice on a robot body - see the newest crossover for Serpentor, and as for Cobra Commander - hooded mini-figure, but classic "plate face" for robot mode?

5. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

Time for that line would have been the 80's when GI joe was sold everywhere. Here in Canada It's next to impossible to find any GI Joe toys. I see the odd one here or there but that's about it. I don't think Canadian kids are into GI Joe. I bet it's the same in many other countries.

I love the idea though. If it was a line for collectors it would do well here. Boy kids today don't know what they are missing. Live was bette when Transformers and GI Joe ruled the world! :) 

6. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well my choice for how they'd look would be along the lines of a 3 3/4 inch joe w/a scaled TF in a joe/cobra styled vehicle. After High Wire and Kicker, I could see a $10.00 to $15.00 deluxe pack made for the line. To be followed by a number of higher pricepointed sets.

And while it'd be nice to see the Flagg made into Broadside, I don't think they'd need to go quite that far.

The idea of a smaller joe figure would be cheaper but then wouldn't have much play value except to be a pilot.