Transformers and comedy

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rodimus, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

What do you think about silly moments in what is otherwise a dominate action cartoon? Is there a such thing where the comedy sucks the life out of the moment of the overall tone of the show?

What is too much and what works in Transformers?

2. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

depends on the writing.

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I generally like comedy relief. G1 did a reasonable job at times, and BW was pretty expert at it. The anime shows are more of a mixed bag IMO. I think part of it is the extremes tend to be more extreme, with action and violence sometimes more intense and serious, with humor seemingly more random and silly.

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    theres no such thing as too many fart jokes.

5. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In my opinion,comedy offers a welcomed relief in shows involving heavy action like The Transformers. However, it must be at the expense of something other than the main drama of the story and of the main heroes and villains of the story. Making Optimus Prime stump his toe or Megatron's eyes bug out cheapens the show. Goofy and silly have no place with these characters.

6. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

Megatron's ducky in Beast Wars - Good.
    The Low Road (a story built around fart jokes) - Bad.
    The bickering between Dinobot and Rattrap - Good.
    The little girl bullying the giant robot (TF: Cybertron) - Bad.

7. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Some humor is good. Beast Wars was a great example. Heck even the predacons in RID were funny.

G1 had it's moments (Like the Autobots watching a Earth soap opera called As the Kitchen Sinks)

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I Have to say-Megatron's Ducky is Probably The Funniest that and Waspinators The Kenny of Beast Wars.

9. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

Agree'D

Beast Wars, for me pulled it off so well.

RiD, has genuinelly funny momments, I love it when the Skybite and his Predacons put on their various Autobot outfits and their dialogue is lawlz. I <3 RiD.

Cybertron had it's moments, but not as much as G1's off hand remarks and occasional Snark *Octane, i'm looking at you*

I feel humor is needed in most adventure stories.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    BW did it best. (and even had a whole comedic episode to break up the seriousness in season one) All the anime shows were horrible at it. Slapstick anime humour is not funny. (to the japanese it it is, of coarse)

RID (except Skybyte, he was friggin' hilarious), Armada, not so much Energon but deffinatly Cybertron were ruined by it. (that, and the human characters) It's pretty sad when not one of the bad guys is competent enough to win a single fight. (even Starscream was a tard sometimes)

American (or in BW case, Canadian) humour always works best in their own setting. (ie. country)

I know there are a lot of good anime shows out there who don't use the anime humour, but it's that humour that ruined every show after BM. Also, back then I never understood why it went from CGI, to stunning CGI, then to a shitty-ass cartoon, to a worse cartoon, to a cartoon with shitty-ass CGI, etc... I was not impressed.

If the timeline is followed, it really should be Kenny is the Waspinator of Southpark.
    Low road had one fart joke in it. Plus, the whole idea of discharging energon via hick-ups and sneezes, thus leading to death (from lack of energy) was pretty good. Although one remembers that aspect, just the fart. Shame.

11. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

Personally the humor in Beast Wars was WAaaay to slapstick for me and it demeaned the entire series in my eyes. Everytime I saw Waspinator get blown back or up in the air and they had that little cartoon whistle sound effect to go along with his elevation, I kept saying to my self, "Is this really supposed to be a action show about Transformers???" It made me turn my nose up at it and I hated the show for it. Especially when I saw the dumb Rhinox fart. I couldnt help but roll my eyes at it and go "Oh... my.. gosh.. what has Transformers been degraded to?"

On the other hand there were moments like Dinobot and Rattrap that were really funny and worked for me. I was still able to respect the characters and take them seriously with out thinking they were something out of a looney toons cartoon. And during their rampages against each other came some good laughs.

In RiD on the other hand I didn't find any of that really funny. Maybe I'm just of a different mindset where I expect more serious (and NOT goofy) behavior all the way around and the moments in between will present their own humor, I.E. the Dinobot and Rattrap bickering.

I tend to mostly have a funny bone only for sudden unexpected moments. I hate plain goofy stuff, but I love seeing something that catches me offguard. That's probably why Family Guy and that one Superbowl commercial with the Caveman getting squished by a Dinosaur is so funny to me. It's also probably why I enjoyed the Rattrap bickering a bit. Because there you have these 2 guys acting like their going to kill each other in all seriousness, and then out of the blue one says something pretty funny and he's actually serious about it.

In G1, most of the show had a pretty serious undertone to it, but when it decided to get light and have some comedy, they did it just like grayman said when he gave his guidelines. They used the Dinobots with their low intelligence in their downtime moments. But they didn't go all out goofy on them either. Slag and Grimlock were great together. They were the Dinobot and Rattrap of G1 in some ways. They would bicker but it would be funny. And Grimlock has too many classic funny lines to remember. The thing was all of those lines were at a time when he was boasting to his enemy and ready to kill them. So there was a touch of seriousness (As he meant what he said and wasn't just being silly) but to the audience it seemed funny.

In other words, the writers were still able to keep Grimlock's dignity intact when they used Grimlock that way. The only time I every really got disgusted with how they used Grimlock for humor was in that one episode "Madmans Paradise" (I think) where they made him dress up with an apron. That was just plain stupid and squished his whole character. It was way too goofy. But the moments like Grimlock telling Megatron "You wrong, You ugly too!" or "Good Megatron, We love stupid enemies!" were perfect.

They also used Rumble and Skywarp in a similar way. They would bicker alot and be funny with it too. But both of those characters had a sarcastic personality to go along with a cocky attitude. So they used that to provide some funny yet still respectable moments to the show. Again, it didn't degrade the characters. It actually PROMOTED the characters personality.

I totally agree with Grayman. It seems he's made some pretty good guidelines because what I describe seems to fit exactly what he said.

12. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Beast Wars had the best of humor in it. G1 had its moments of sillyness, but every other TF show just wasn't funny (Armada/Energon/Cybertron trilogy, RID, I'm looking at you two).

Indeed. Scourge shouldn't put up with being pecked around by some human girl. If I were him, I'd just squish her.

What? I would if I was a giant robot that transformed into a three-headed dragon. That'd rule. :D 

13. Feralstorm

News Credits:
    This thread is living proof that humor is nothing if not subjective. :) 

In humor terms, G1 seemed at it's best with offhand comments and camp, where characters say or do funny things as if they are taking them fully seriously. When they really tried to tell a joke, it fell flat more often than not.

BW had all the humor bases covered, from banter to pop culture references to personality-based stuff to cartoony physical comedy to fanwank to self-referential wit. Little wonder the series is rather well thought of today.

BM took itself more seriously overall than BW, so bits of funny business stood out more, and seemed out of place almost as often, especially once "fun" characters such as Jetstorm were dropped out for super-maudlin Silverbolt.

RiD was built around a lot of wacky concepts and Japanese ideas of humor. As long as the viewer didn't expect too much serious out of it, it was a fun diversion.

Armada and Energon were a bit more serious, and the majority of the humor came from the "kid-friendly" characters, like the humans and their immediate robot sidekicks. Most of the genuine attempts at humor were sub-par at best, random nonsense at worst.

Cybertron I found more watchable from a humor standpoint at least, as if the approach of Armada and Energon were tweaked enough to work. Some of that is the improved dubbing work, and some is improvement in making characters that try to be funny less annoying in general.

(all IMO, of course)

14. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Snowstorm yodeling in Super Link=funny.

Thundercracker's over-the-top names for his attacks in Galaxy Force=funny.

15. Feralstorm

News Credits:
    Snowstorm yodeling in Super link: mildly annoying
    Snowcat yodeling in Energon: beyond extremely annoying. :)