Transformers Alternity Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by garyjale, May 31, 2010.

1. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The eyes don't bug me at all!

2. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Great review, Garyjale bro! :D 

Pics are nice, but I gotta paint to cover up Screamer's top bug eyes! :p 

Distracting...in a bad way :lol 

3. turbobungle

turbobungle SuperGodMasterPhil

Sorry they just don't...fly...with me

4. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    ^Uhhh..then "Squish it like a bug?!" :confused2 :

Bad puns FTW! :p 

5. Tux Chaos X

Tux Chaos X Spades Slick

A little paint application on the top two eye segments (enough to block any light piping) would fix his face up tremendously. As it is, though, I like it, but not enough to import it at the moment. I'll wait and see if Hasbro decides to bring these over.

6. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

Mine should be here this week i cant wait :D 

7. saberconvoy

saberconvoy Drifting around

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    he looks good and all
    but i still can't get use to those eyes

8. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    If/when i get this I think I might leave the roof/hood section in a vertical position on his back. It's cool that they tried to mimick the look of wings, but the asymmetrical nature of it and the flip out wing points look really wonky to me and clash with the graceful nature of everything else.

9. Skyclaw

Skyclaw 6 Types of Madness!

Rather have Skywarp and the newly up for pre-order thundercracker for this line

10. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Creative transformation. is it top heavy like Convoy? I think it could have been gray and Thundercracker black.

11. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Got mine today, not a bad effort! The head isn't too good though. But the rest of him is nice. Some fun parts in the transformation, in particular his feet and the front part of the car. His blue sections look really good in person, they're a lovely dark colour. I don't like how his blasters gradient from white to silver though.

12. jessecuster

jessecuster One Goal!

News Credits:
    I got mine yesterday, its definitely the weakest of the Alternity molds, in alt mode it barely resembles a real car you might see, in robot mode its a fiddly, awkward mess.

13. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    im a little dissapointed with this mold. only way i will buy these 'seekers' is if there's nothing else to buy or if the completist mentality (for the alternity line) kicks in.

sayang ang potential...

14. Biotoakid

Biotoakid Whew what an old username

News Credits:
    I will definately buy him at Botcon!

15. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't regret buying SS or SW but for me, they fall into my "looks cooler than it is" category just like all of the other Alternity figures to date. What I mean is that I think they look great in both modes and I do adore the way the bot modes still manage to resemble jet-formers. The added 3rd mode was a pleasant surprise, playing both on the fact that SS and SW should be jets but also reminding me of G1 Tracks.

The transformation of these guys is probably the most simple out of the 4 Alty molds we have so far but I don't think that is a negative here. The transformation is still complex enough for me to be satisfied and it lacks any puzzling "where should this go" moments such as when I first tried to figure out how to peg Alty Ops legs together.

The elephant in the room is SS's head sculpt. In person it doesn't look half as bad as in pictures though I do personally still think it's weird. In spite of the oddness of it, when I look at him I still very much recognize that he's Starscream, especially when standing next to Skywarp (whom I think has a great head sculpt).

My only real complaints here are nothing major. First, he's got some kibble issues. The car door/hip skirts can be positioned to look nice and they don't interfere too much with posing but they are pretty obstructive when you're handling him as they tend to pop off VERY easily on both of my figures. The leg joints on my figures were also almost insanely tight. Tight joints + big kibble chunks + loose ball joints holding the kibble chucks on = me picking kibble chucks up off the floor repeatedly. I wish that the backpack/wings locked or were on a ratchet because during handling they tend to flop around a lot and it gets a little frustrating. I also wish the waist and check locked together but as it is there is just a tiny hook that doesn't really do much at all.

The back tire/wing pieces are another source of minor annoyance for me but I will say that I might not be doing something right. It seems that on my figures at least these pieces don't peg into anything when in bot mode and so they just kind of flop around and can be a nuisance to when you're handling or posing him. These pieces do have a peg on them and I believe the instructions show that peg being plugged into the knee slider, but for me that doesn't seem possible do to part alignment. Again, I might be doing something wrong when transforming him. I will comment though that so far I've bought two versions of each other Alty mold and on each one I have had an issue where parts don't align how they are meant to; this leads me to think that perhaps Takara is having trouble living up to the necessary engineering for those. Hard to say. EDIT: After reviewing garyjale's pics once more I realize that I was missing the fact that those shin pieces slide back and not just in and out. Now the legs lock together very solidly. The fit was so tight on my SW that I'm actually a little nervous about transforming him back to car mode.

All in all I think SS and SW make a fine edition to the Alty collection. They look neat and have both a unique alt mode and a unique transformation with a very nice homage thrown in for extra fan wank. If you've bought any of the other figures you know what to expect from this line and if you are into this style of adult collector figure then don't hesitate to pick one up.

16. gonzo23

gonzo23 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Got mine today, And I love both Starscream and Skywarp. And Jessecuster(whom I know), It is an actual real car you might see in Japan!

17. jessecuster

jessecuster One Goal!

News Credits:
    I know this, but its a bit like how common it is to see a Rolls Royce in America.

18. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Uh yeah. It looks like the car it is supposed to be.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Qk2UbRbeQmI/S09UEbMXfXI/AAAAAAAADQQ/fZHHNS31B18/s800/White-Okamora.jpg

The only Alternity car ive seen COMMONLY in America is the Megatron Fairlady Z (nissan 370Z). I've driven Prime (Nissan GTR) but I've seen less of those on the road than Benz's and Rolls Royces. The line is based on JAPANESE cars from their streets, so for them these cars are realtively common.

I understand taste an all, but the car mode is spot on.

19. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I saw a Megatron-blue one parked outside my office about a month after the toy was released. Definitely an "aw no wai!" moment.

20. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

I dislike that it's yet another transformer using a cheat for the robot chest, it looks like the car's front end, except the actual front end is on his back and his shoulders.

Though it is fun to see a traditionally non-car character dropped into a licensed car subline, haven't had that since Alternators/Binaltech Grimlock. Come to think of it, beyond Optimus, Alternity has so far been all the major characters that Alt/BT lacked.