Transformers Action Figure Question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Blitzkrieg, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Supreme Leader

I was thinking, and I was wondering why Transformers Action Figures are not made of metal parts anymore?. Is it because of shipping restrictions?, or perhaps it is just cheaper to use plastic. If anyone has any thoughts, feel free to post. :) 

2. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Actually, metal appearsnto be making a comeback! Perceptor has it. I'm sure it was a price thing, but also random chrome can look bad. no need for chrome, so no chrome. now its needed, now its back!

3. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Its a money thing....but not really because it cost more to make..

Its the shipping.Di-cast toys weigh more then plastic toys, in general.

4. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

It all comes down to price. More expensive to manufacture, more expensive to ship.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Perceptor has chrome. I'm not aware of any metal on the figure. The chrome parts on Perceptor are plastic.

Yeah, there's a few reasons for it. Weight and cost are certainly factors, but there are other reasons.

It's hard to get sharp details with it. Then you have to throw on a layer of paint, and hope the paint doesn't completely swallow up those details (I had a G2 Jazz with some of the hood lines vanishing at random spots).

It also causes heavy wear on any plastic parts it's connected to. It can throw off the figure's balance too, which sucks for modern super-posable figures.

Painted diecast metal chips like crazy. a lot of G1 toys kind of look like crap now because of all the paint chipping.

The only reasons it's used now (in masterpiece figures) is for stability. Most people just want it back because "metal is cool", despite all the flaws with it.

6. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

It isn't very cost-effective and plain old gray plastic can do the trick.

7. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Did not know that-my bad

8. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Well sort of. The part itself is plastic, but the chrome is vacuum metalized using a process where aluminum particles are evaporated onto the part in question. So there is some metal on it. This process is very expensive though and can't really be done small scale (I looked into doing so which is how I know) and that's also why you don't see any chrome on any of the new figures (reissues not withstanding).

9. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

I always figured with the newer and way more intricate transformations and smaller parts around the board that Diecast would run a serious risk of shredding modern transformers if not used well.

10. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

Planned obsolescence.

11. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    ^Summed up nicely! :lol 
    But yeah IMHO Diecast figures are more for display in an air tight glass cabinet than for playing. Costs a mini-fortune and sometimes are hollow parts...so play safe! :) 

12. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Supreme Leader

That's what I figured that metal parts are more expensive to make, god forbid they make a product with some quality, LOL. The G1 still hold up to this day 25 years later, good ol' metal. :) 

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Figures today are of great quality. Diecast has downsides, which I already explained above. G1 toys don't hold up perfectly. Many diecast parts on vintage figures have heavy paint wear (I'm looking at you, wheeljack). Roofs snapped off (Prowl mold). Parts got lost (seekers, optimus, anything that partsformed). figures broke in half (metroplex). Stickers peeled off. tires rotted or came off and got lost. These problems exist, and everyone who has ever gone looking to buy a vintage 84-85 TF has encountered them.

Seriously, they don't hold up any better than any modern toys will.

Plastic-only construction doesn't mean inferior quality. Seriously. I know some people complain that the figures today are "flimsy" and "fall apart". That's due to increased articulation, and more complex, intricate transformations, and higher part counts. They can come apart to avoid breakage. It's an engineering choice. A part that is harshly yanked off a modern transformer snaps right back on. Not so with the older figures, where if you bent a joint the wrong way, or too far, it broke, and it wasn't going to just pop back together again.

Also, toys that are just as complex and posable as the modern figures are, but with diecast parts thrown in just to satisfy this illusion of superior quality would price themselves out of the reach of kids, and eat up the limited paint budget for a figure, since every diecast component would require paint that could have gone to other applications on the rest of the figure.