Transformers: A Zack Snyder (or Justin Lin) film

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OP84, Jan 2, 2012.

1. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Let me say for starters that I am a huge fan of the first three Transformers films. I thought that they were brilliant popcorn movies worth your buck but after the third film, I don't see how they could do anymore films without resorting to reviving Megatron again and making Unicron the villain in the style of these films. So I thought it would be a great idea to reboot the franchise as Michael Bay and Shia LaBeouf have hinted at many times before. Even though the chances of Transformers 4 & 5 are higher than the chances of getting a reboot, I still felt an obligation to throw my ideas out here regardless of wether or not we get a continuation. First off, I'd like to get my choices for a director and cast out of the way before moving onto story.

The Director: I have two choices for the directorial position of this hypothetical reboot: Zack Snyder and Justin Lin. Both know how to handle character and story without sacrificing either in favor of other bullshit. Lin learned that lesson after how poorly "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift" and "Fast and Furious" did with critics. And considering he dropped out of Terminator 4 & 5 with only the sixth and seventh Fast and Furious films to do, he'd probably have time for a TF reboot.

The Cast: Now I'm going to start by saying that both the Transformers and humans will have equal screentime, not one or the other. I don't want to make this a "kiddie" movie by throwing in a human trio or whatever, I would just want to work with whatever I find good.

The human cast would be a mix of G1 humans, "Bayformers" humans, and Animated humans. I think a good fit for Sam/Spike could be
    David Henrie from Wizards from Waverly Place mainly because I have yet to see him get a role in something other than Disney stuff and I think he has some real potential for an action role. Carly was kind of a hard one since I don't know that many blond actresses who can do a good job at this kind of thing without returning to the Spider-Man reboot shortlist for Gwen Stacy since Carly in the original cartoon was very much like Gwen in many ways with them both being intelligent blonds. I personally think that Logan Lerman would be a good choice for Chip Chase in my opinion and I would make the character friends with Leo Spitz from ROTF who I would bring beck in this film as being a friend with Sam. I'd personally like to see Hugh Jackman from the X-Men films as Sam's father since he's good at those kind of roles. Aside from those three, I don't have anyone else in mind so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I don't have a solid robot cast aside from Peter Cullen and Frank Welker as Optimus and Megatron so I'm kinda stuck on that one too.

The Story: Sam would be back in high school but the "using car to get girl" wouldn't be touched upon that often since you would basically have Mikaela leaving her boyfriend, Trent DeMarco, in a slightly different way than in the first movie where she leaves him just because he won't let her drive. She'd leave Trent because he basically beats up Sam which proves to her that he is too immature to be in a real relationship so she leaves him. It's not until the end of the film where Sam and Bumblebee save her from Starscream and the Seekers when she realizes that Sam is the kind of person she wants to be with. Carly would be Sam's friend in the beginning but wouldn't become Sam's new love interest until the end of the second film after Mikaela dies.

Sam and Bumblebee meet by coincidence this time rather than because of the Autobots needing his grandfather's glasses. Patrick Dempsey's character from DOTM, Dylan, is brought in as one of Sam's peers and a spoiled rich kid so it gives Sam another human enemy to deal with in the first film. Megatron stages a worldwide attack on planet Earth and begins decimating cities one by one. Shockwave is shown as having his own vendetta throughout the film and works with Starscream, so he can in turn betray him and Megatron at the same time. Shockwave also has been working on a secret project codenamed "Devastator" where he plans on taking a group of Transformers and merging them together to form a colossal giant. That's all I have for now until I come up with some new ideas though.

2. FeelingLuckyPnk

FeelingLuckyPnk Decepticon Punks!

Dude...paragraphs...paragraphs!!!

3. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I'm going to quote some paragraphs that my friend (an extremely big and passionate film and Transformers fan) and I once had regarding a Zack Snyder-directed Transformers movie:

"...rated 14A. Dark and serious, with a very epic feel to it. Similar to Bay’s oft-used slow-motion techniques, Synder would use “ramping” a lot (which I will admit, would look awesome in a Transformers movie). Optimus raises his fist in sssllllooooowwww--mmmoooottttiiiioooonnnn and punchesMegatronintheface. The Decepticons corner Optimus in the forest and *BAM!* send him flyinnnnggggg iiiiinnnnnntttoooo thhhheeee aaaaiiirrrr... and thenhecrashlandsintoagroveoftrees."

"Honestly, if anyone could do Transformers justice, it's the guy responsible for 300. Ramping the battle scenes would make for some dynamic, intense fight scenes, and Snyder's brilliant eye for editing would dramatically enhance inter/intra faction tensions (imagine the breakdown of relations between Dawn of the Dead's* cast transposed onto, say, the Decepticons).

Sure, Snyder would make the whole thing intensely effects-heavy, but the man has an idea on how to work within the limitations of technology; sure, 300 is 98% inside of a computer, but the whole thing is so stylized and deftly handled, the audience doesn't care.

Really, the only problem I can imagine with Snyder is his generally limited palette (both Suckerpunch and 300 look like washed-out dishrags (which I know is done intentionally to accentuate the brief splashes of colour, but still), and a focus on action action action at the expense of characterization (can you name anyone in 300 other than Leonidas and Xerxes? I can't)."

Hopefully these can help your creative juices flow.

I always love imagining what other filmmakers would do with a live-action Transformers. I JUST LOVE IT! :D 

As for Justin Lin, I'll need to do some research on his techniques.

*Yes, both him and I are aware that Snyder had nothing to do with Dawn of the Dead.

4. arceelover13

arceelover13 Well-Known Member

uuuurrgh too many words!!!!

5. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    All I'm saying is this: NO TO ZACK SNYDER.

I understand if a lot of us enjoy 300 or Watchmen, but I don't like the way he presents these films. The usual set up: your chosen actors and nothing but green screen.

Because of how he does his films, I am really fearful for how the new Superman: Man of Steel will turn out. It's something I don't want to see be done with Transformers.

6. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Zack Snyder's style doesn't please me, he has the habit of absolutely destroying the movie's crediblity with unintentionally funny [and ridicuously unecessary things], this can be more seen in Watchmen [such as, Rorscharch randomly deciding to jump like goddamn Spider-Man in a playground, Nite Owl and Silk Spectre giving superhuman punches in the alley fight, the hallelujah scene..].

With Watchmen [in my opinion], he pretty much took everything from the original story and made it worse, with his overuse of slow-motions, cheesy dialogues and over-the-top scenes.

I've always said, Snyder's achiles heel is his obsession with his artistic style, which cripples every movie he makes [Watchmen would have been a perfectly good adaptation of the comic book if he didn't insist on making every single scene Snydersitic].

He also can't make a villain even if his life depended on it, just look at Xerxes: He is [unitentionally] hilarious in every scene he is in, he's like a 60's Batman villain, overboarding the ridiculous, imagine Megatron acting like that.

Ozymandias also can't come even close to his comic book self, his motivations are much less explored [time constraints, but still] and the movie-Ozy is much more bland.

Complain how much you want about Megatron, but he has a excellent voice-actor and a good design, at the very least, his concept is very good, Snyder ruins the concept of his villain.

Long story cut short, Snyder doesn't know the difference between the ridiculous and the not-ridiculous, and his artistice style can cripple his work.

Bay has his problems, but he doesn't let his directing style [fast-paced action and crude jokes] derail the movie [they're still present, but they don't take the main focus of the story, like Snyder's things do].

7. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i love bay 's tf films

8. decepticreep312

decepticreep312 Well-Known Member

:bay 

9. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I don't get how anyone can like the Transformers films and think Zack Snyder wouldn't be an upgrade to Bay.

He is capable of the same action sequences, yet he is totally better at telling a story. 300 and Watchmen actually have story elements. ROTF and DOTM totally omit scripted parts that would have made the story better.

Xerxes is INTENDED to be ridiculous, as he is portrayed in the graphic novel...exceptionally haughty, arrogant, effeminate and entitled. The God King title alone state the ridiculous. These complaints on Watchmen are extremely silly... One of the major complaints was the he literally, for the most part, lifted the movie right from the graphic novel (at least as best as could be done within the time constraints). The things you mentioned are totally minute, especially when contrasted with with how totally Bay fails in displaying the character of Optimus Prime and Megatron. I dare say the majority of Hollywood would agree... I can't imagine ANYONE letting Bay near Superman for fear of him having Superman go on a rage induced killing spree.

Snyder may add his elements into a film, but at least he can adapt a work and not change the story or characters to fit his desires... he presents them, for the most part, as the work intended. Michael Bay took Optimus and turned him into a combination of John Mclain and the Punisher, ripping off heads and spouting hateful one liners. Not to mention Snyder getting knocked for how he does bad guys... Sentinel Prime is the first truly well done bad guy in Bay's career, and alot of that was the performance Leonard Nimoy gave. He made Galvatron fearsome in the 86 TF movie... so I give the majority of that to him. Even then, Bay cut out parts of him that would have made him even better.

I can understand not wanting Zack Snyder to do a TF movie, but it sounds silly when you support someone who deviates from source material even more than he does. Watch Pearl Harbor (by Bay) and tell me... you seriously think Snyder deviates more than Bay? I've never seen Snyder put a bunch of dogs humping, robots humping legs, dick and fart jokes at every turn, testicles on robots...

Personally, I would be all for Zack Snyder... he can't possibly do worse than Bay, and he would keep the same level of action. There's more depth in a single character from 300 than the entire robot cast of ROTF and DOTM, save Sentinel Prime.

Zack Snyder is essentially Michael Bay, except he doesn't use as many practical effects. I suspect that, with Chris Nolan as producer, the Man of Steel is going to give lead to ALOT of TF fans wanting him to do a TF movie.

10. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Funny thing is, Snyder attended art school with Bay.

11. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I'm sorry, but 300 has the same amount of story DOTM has [if not less, DOTM has a complex political conspiracy at least, 300 sums up to Leonidas being badass against the Persians] and even less characterization [as a fellow said above].

And even then, both Watchmen and 300 are "copy and paste" [though 300 is less-so] adaptations, he just made everything to the letter of the original story, so I think we can't really measure how good he is through those stories, but rather how he executed said stories.

The only movie where he actually created the story was Sucker Punch, and the movie was a mess. That tells me a lot.

I'm fairly sure he wasn't THAT ridiculous, if anything, at least he didn't have a over-the-top evil voice that looks more like Unicron than a human being [yes, it's supposed to throw some "godly" stuff at him].

You see, my major complaint is that Snyder took off two of the most important scenes Ozymandias had [in terms of characterization]: The one where he explains how he feels lonely in the world, being the most intelligent man in history [in fact, he explains how he came up with the whole "let's blow up a city" story to begin with in that scene], a scene that made him all the more human and explained his motives.

I could excuse that due time constraints but GOD DAMN'IT, we had time for a unecessary slow-motion action sequence on the prison breakout but we had no time for the ONLY SCENE where we enter in Ozymandias' mind? What the hell?

The other is a very simple, two-seconds moment: Ozymandias famously cries and screams "I DID IT!" when he sees the reports of the Soviet Union and the USA solving their differencies, that scene made him [once again] incredibly human in the original story, why cut that part? It is literally a two-seconds moment that made Ozy all the more deep [hell, Ozymandias even sees the TVs saying THE SAME THING in the movie, but his reaction is a cold, emotionless stare at Silk Spectre and Nite Owl, WHAT THE HELL, SNYDER?].

And my other complaint, is how bland his portrayal was, maybe due the actor, but still, he was a much more emotional character in the original graphic novel [which is actually one of the things that made him hard to catch as a villain], in the movie he barely shows emotion, you'd be surprised to find two different facial expressions in his face across the movie.

In short, he just got hands on the graphic novel's most complex character and made him worse. That was the ONE character he couldn't drop the ball with. Yet, he did.

You're mixing up ducks with wolves here: Different matters, Optimus and Megatron are reinventend from generation to generation, their portrayals MUST differ in something from their past in the movies, otherwise it wouldn't make sense.

They must retain some of their original traits though [which are for the scriptwriter/director to decide], and THEY DO, Megatron retains his vicious and scheming nature [also retains his lack of fear] and ups his brutality up to eleven, Optimus retains his wisdom and calm mood.

Completely different matters again, Optimus is a soldier, fighting a WAR, killing is perfectly reasonable storywise [and he did that before, in Beast Wars, G1 Comics, among other franchises] because as you know, people die in wars.

He never had a precise THOU SHALL NOT KILL rule in any franchise, he usually had a "thou shall not kill the defenseless[b/]" rule [i.e between the option of killing and arresting a baddie, arrest him], the characters were mostly spared because because of the kid-friendly nature of the cartoons and the value of the characters for Hasbro.

He screwed up Ozymandias. You think he really is not going to change anything in Transformers? Don't make me laugh.

And again, entirely different types of story, Transformers are MADE to be reinvented with new stories, it isn't, it wasn't, and it won't be meant to be a straigth adaptation of anything, there must be creative liberties for the new franchise, that's why the TF franchise keeps fresh: It reinvents itself.

Watchmen and 300 are not that kind of franchise, both are one-shot comic books that were made to be adaptated to the end of the letter, reinventing is not needed.

Besides the whole "different franchise" thing, I would definitely say Ozymandias wasn't intended to be a bland doomsday villain.

Optimus is more brutal in this movies [and hell, if you read the G1 Comic Books, he is ten times worse than movie-verse Optimus], indeed, but he remains a soft-spoken wise leader, his concept remains the same.

Snyder, however, dropped the ball on the very CONCEPT of Ozymandias, that's my point.

Comparing Ozymandias and Xerxes to Megatron and The Fallen, you can say that at least Bay's villains had the right personality, The Snyder's, on the other hand...

So Snyder can get the "time constraints" excuse for a two-seconds scene with a normal actor, but Bay can't for a scene that costs thousands of dollars in CGI?

The problem here is that you're trying to compare ducks to wolves.

Pearl Harbor is a half-assed attempt at real-life events, I don't see how it can be compared to a graphic novel.

He did put Hallelujah on a sex scene and unecessary slow-motions in every turn, so I don't think you can argue much about this.

And even then, Bay acknowledged his flaws and removed a good chunk of those flaws from DOTM, what has Snyder done? If anything, he has decayed since his previous works, his flaws only became more crippling [See Sucker Punch].

Oh yes he can, don't even get me started with the goddamn slow-motions.;

You're kidding, right? Leonidas is a screaming warrior, not much else, Xerxes is a very effeminate overlord, not much else.

I don't remember one single moment where Leonidas shows an emotional range like Optimus did in DOTM, like when he killed Sentinel [we didn't even need words in that one, just Optimus' solemn face of sadness as he stared the ground], or when he met Sentinel after his betrayal, e.t.c

Xerxes doesn't match Megatron either, we see Megatron's fear of being replaced and the reason for his crimes ["Cybertron, you are saved, at last..."], we can't say the same for Xerxes, who is just effemineta and power hungry.

In an off-topic comment, I really think people put too much faith in Nolan, don't get me wrong, he is an excellent director who can analyze the human mind like no other, but he was the right guy for Batman, just that, I don't think he is the right guy for every hero story.

12. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

But can people stop talking about Zack SNyder and move on to the ideas I've presented or at least, say what yours would be?

13. PRIMEMAN3457

PRIMEMAN3457 Leader

News Credits:
    I think if Zack Snyder was involved, he should just help write the story, or just stick to Comic Adaptions.

I honestly think he's a great Director. I thought Watchmen and 300 were excellent films, and Sucker Punch too. (Maybe for Sucker Punch because it was the first movie I saw at the IMAX that opened near my house early last year around my birthday.)

Oh, and Overlord Balder, in my WFC Film, what would you do if I had Astrotrain say his line and then he transformed and drove off in slow motion for 10 seconds? :lol 

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Any problem I might have had with Bay's vision of TF would be magnified a thousand times by Snyder.

No

Thanks.

15. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Heart Like a Hand Grenade

News Credits:
    tl;dr

16. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:

1.DOTM story is a good premise... but 300 has ALOT more emotional depth... At least when members of the protagonist side are killed, the other warriors are shown to be emotionally affected. Prime's right hand man gets killed without so much as a mention. Story wise tho... I can give you that. Still 300 gets you ALOT more emotionally invested and has you cheering for the heros. DOTM gets you pumped, but the main Bad Guys don't do shit. So when the heros win... it's kinda empty.

2.First off, a director is not hired to be the writer, so your point here has nothing to do with anything. Bay wrote chunks of ROTF. We're talking about directors...not asking him to write the movie.

Sucker Punch was not even a movie created to have a story, rather obviously... It was a showcase for CGI. The characters were all eye candy on purpose. It was not based on established fiction... even the movie description told you it was about a girls fantasy world... Contrast that with Bay's addition to ROTF, the Twins. He cobbled together the story with help, and it was even less cohesive than Sucker Punch, but at least Sucker Punch only presented itself as a movie with boobs, guns and explosions. Bay tried to make it seem like ROTF was going to be an epic part of the next big thing. I like both movies equally... but at least Snyder stated he wanted to make a movie that was really just action sequences with little story.

3.Once again, he was intended to be ridiculous... and obviously even to you the effect worked. His (even in real life) army was called the Immortals. He had an army of 300,000. All of those things were intended... You truly must not have a concept of how powerful and ridiculous the kings of old could be.

4.Removing those scenes was somewhat disappointing. I also thought a more energetic actor could have been used (I thought of David Hyde Pierce for him myself), but the concept was far from ruined. Giving proper time to Oz would have necessitated splitting Watchmen into two movies. Not to mention it seemed to me that Oz 'grew' that cold in the movie. At least from the other characters observations and inclinations. Still, at worst, he's a far better villain than "I talk tough and don't do shit" the Fallen and "how'd I become such a bitch" Megatron. I'll give you Sentinel Prime... without him, DOTM would have been fucking horrible. Oz still had some complexity (despite what you say, Oz faced the protagonist and caused emotional distress and reflection) Megatron and the Fallen don't do anything other than see Prime, yell at him, and then get slaughtered.

Still Snyder adapted, rather well, a 12 part graphic novel, into an almost 3 hour movie. Bay couldn't effectively recreate Megatron's master plan,(which is basically what ROTF and DOTM are) a 66 minute cartoon, into two 2 hr 30 min films. DOTM was worlds better tho.

5. Not. Optimus and Megatron are not really reinvented. Revisualed... yes. Animated and Movie Prime are really the first overhauls of the character since 1984. Not to mention, aside from Animated, they all even attempt to sound the same. Megatron... I'm more willing to agree, but NO Megatron EVER bowed to anyone. Megatron would not have sat by after Sentinel Prime bitched him. He would not have bowed to the Fallen and called him master. Last time Megatron was in that position, it took him being left for dead in nothingness to agree to bow to anyone, and even then once he got his body back he tried to rebel. Not to mention, Megatron and Prime are equals... all of their final showdowns have been brawls for it all... oops except for Bay, who can't get the fact that the lead protagonist and antagonist have fought it out, to the death, since 1984.

We will kill them all, you die now, give me your face... yep sounds like Optimus Prime. Except Prime was never that vicious. It's sad because he nailed Prime in movie one... and then totally ef's it up from that point.

6. Once again... no. Prime has had several series in which killing was on the table (ie all the Japan series) and he still maintains it as a last resort. Movie Prime is kill first strickly... the Decepticons are more likely to take prisoners than Prime. Sadly out of character.

7. Snyder gave him a pretty faithful look, and kept his characters major traits, and even if you dislike the major changes, he kept him competent. Bay had the opportunity to literally build his villain, and made him look like shit, be a total loser, and terrible at EVERYTHING he did outside of movie 1. His victory in DOTM was nice... if you actually had him relish and taunt his foe... he has the opportunity to crush Prime and just looks on.

Snyder missed two moments for Oz and you call him ruined, but Bay gets a pass on effing up the Twins (originally Sideswipe and Sunstreaker) and replacing them with the (admittedly overblown) but poorly done comedy characters SKids and Mudflap. Complete with horrible designs. Totally wasting the Fallen. Terrible rendition of Devastator. Totally screwing up Shockwave. Hell totally wasting an entire movie... without the forest scene, ROTF is completely and totally forgettable.

8.If Bay simply did Megs wrong, or Optimus wrong, or Shockwave, it'd be cool... but he didn't just get one character wrong, he got a bunch wrong. He added jokes that were off color for the material. He made overpowered good guys... Hell the first movie, the only thing he did wrong was have Optimus get thrown around a bit much... but even then it makes sense because he and Megs are EQUALS. And the idea that OPtimus is a powerful pacifist is presented. Despite it's shortcomings, movie 1 gets Transformers so right. Rotf comes along, and suddenly Megatron needs either the god powered Fallen (and still gets his ass kicked) or the help of Starscream and Grindor (and they still got their asses handed to them) to launch any sort of attack against Prime.

Yet missing two scenes of Oz is what you build a case against Snyder on? If all Bay did was have Optimus go overboard in the end of the last movie, and have Megatron work with Fallen as a ruse... ok. He fails to nail so much it would have been better if they just made up names and called em Decapimus Prime and Minitron. Don't make the characters in name only. Research them and do them right. You can tell he doesn't even care about doing them right, so long as shit blows up.

9. You're so missing the point. Zack Snyder very faithfully recreated the comic books he adapted from, for the most part, from character looks to the story etc. Michael Bay took one of the great events of war history, and totally shitted on those involved in it, but remaking it in a haphazard way. Veterans were PISSED. I can only shudder to think of someone making a movie about 9/11 the way Bay did Pearl Harbor.

Zack Snyder tries to faithfully recreate source material from fictional comic book events. Bay can't even respect the source material of a real life event that in ways, disrespect the sacrifice of many lives.

10.Hallelujah is a song about lovers making a connection if you actually listen and pay attention to it. Is it off putting? Maybe, but the message of the song fits the scene... not to mention the most important thing... It got your attention.

The only thing that makes it weird is the word Hallelujah, but you've obviously never listened to it and heard what he was saying... all you heard was the hallelujah refrain... The lyrics are totally about romantic love and a connection between lovers. Look up the lyrics or actually listen to it and you'll see that. Not only that, but it was released in 84 or 85, I can't remember cause I was a child when my mother bought the record, but it was era specific to the time the movie is set in.

I can't believe you'd compare something like that, where he was obviously trying for something artistic, abstract and era specific, to Frankie dominating Mojo, Wheelie humping Michaela, Sam's mom suggesting having a big wang changes things for you. It's funnier that Bay's PG13 movie is more vulgar and gory than Watchmen, which was rated R, or 300, except for... they're robots.

11. Another face palm statement here... Dude did you even watch 300? Leonidas is shown to be a father, a loving husband saying goodbye, a understanding leader explaining to a warrior why he can't fight with them... You're mixing up Optimus and Leonidas. In TF1, Optimus was more than a screaming warrior. Aside from a few nice moments with Sam, ROTF and beyond Prime is a brooding psycho who never smiles or frowns, he just makes profound speeches and kills. I love every moment he's around Sentinel... it's the only time we see anything beside Decapimus or Broodimus Prime. Hell, we couldn't even get a sigh, a smile, a "this is for all of my fallen comrades... We couldn't get shit out of Prime without Sentinel on screen. I'm seriously wondering if you've even watched 300 aside from the "this is Sparta" trailer if you would say Leonidas is just a screaming warrior. That's not just a poor opinion, it's non factual based upon the scene in the movie.

Leonidas interacts with the world around him. Prime either sulks or kills everything he interacts with. Movie 1 Prime interacted with his world... carried discussions with his troops, waxed philosophical with Megatron, gave a brief moment of sadness for Jazz... and then ROTF comes along and all that emotion and range is lost for "BOOM GIVE ME YOUR FACE MOTHERFUCKER!!!!"

Xerxes and Megatron (the movie 1 version) are equivalent. Megs has alot done wrong, but if he wasn't made into such a pansy, you could look past that. I remember my friend Rachel from California, I went to see the first movie out there. She said, I see why you like the Decepticons, they're kick ass! ROTF and DOTM, she was like, I liked them, but why where the Decepticons such weaklings? What happened to Megatron and Starscream, why can't they fight anymore?

If the non fans see it, it's even more irritating to some (probably more than some) fans.

12. Christopher Nolan is as close to untouchable as they come right now. He's yet to make a critical or commercial failure, and the public agrees (for the most part). He not only directs the great movies, he writes them. Hard not to put faith in someone who hasn't made many mistakes yet.

It's funny you talk about the overuse of slo mo, when it fits with the theme of comic book adaptation. I think it's overdone, but the point is to give the feeling of looking at the frozen frames in a comic. Not to mention that Bay's used a ton of slo mo too...slo mo when Op cuts the driller, slo mo running toward the pillars, slo mo shooting the driller, slo mo ripping Megs head off, slo mo rings dropping on Rosie, slo mo on Prime punching Shockwave, slo with Sam flying around Starscream, slo mo with Sam flying out off Bee...

Honestly I think Snyder and Bay are the same, except Snyder seems to respect his source material alot more. I like alot of what Bay does, he just tries to do everything his way. I like Bay's films, but he just doesn't rely on source material enough. Everyone acts like noone could like a big screen G1 Prime, with morals intact and a mild mannered attitude. Strangely enough, this franchise has rode that character for 25 plus years...

I can. I like some of your ideas, but really they seem to be reassembled rehash. I'm cool with that as long as a different perspective is used. It'd be nice to see a Transformers movie from the Transformers perspective. Obviously, still a human is involved... but it'd be nice.

My dream would be series told from one of the Cons perspective, with them explaining the growing contempt for this planet, the Autobots, Megatrons failure etc.Don't get too deep and artsy, but lets get more story depth, more drama... give us a real reason to love or hate characters other than "look at his face. He's an insect alien faced guy. He's a bad guy. Dislike him!"

17. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

I actually wanted it to have a radical tone shift from the first three, eliminating some of the comedy that made ROTF hated by many and reducing the focus on the humans by 25% making it equal between the TFs and the humans (basically, 50/50).

18. tfan123

tfan123 Well-Known Member

I actually think the guy who directed X-Men First Class could make a fine TF director. I think his names Bryan Singer, and he directed one of the other Xmen films, i think it was X2: Xmen United. He can make a really good film, just watch a few minutes of First Class.

19. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Actually, Matthew Vaughn directed First Class. Bryan Singer only produced the film since he was too busy on another project.

20. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    A million, zillion times this. I liked 300 and Watchmen but I felt as though I was watching something fake, and no amount of acting talent could save it. The existing TF movies have a lot of CGI, yes, but at least they use real environments or sound stages to shoot in. It's the same problem with the new trilogy of Star Wars movies (as pointed out by Plinkett on Red Letter Media): all pretty environments, no heart or soul.

I'm actually OK with Bay directing. A lot of bad decisions were made with the live action movies, but when it comes to making robots and explosions look good, Bay is where it's at. I would like to see a movie directed by J. J. Abrams, though. LENS FLARE. LENS FLARE EVERYWHERE.

EDIT:

Oh wow. Yes, yes, yes. I could totally see Singer directing a TF movie.