Transformers a Top 5 Toy Property in 2009, ROTF Sales Up 20% Over 2007 Movie

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tim Formas, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
  2. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i think this is undeniable proof that movie figures sell like crazy.....haters eat your heart out

3. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with the sentiment. :lol 

We didn't see the mass shortages and empty shelves this time around... I suppose retailers anticipated the demand and ordered enough.

EDIT: Holy crap!
    I'd love to have a breakdown of toy sales by TF line, and if that weren't available, by year, as you could roughly align that with whatever line was on the shelves at the time. Looks like for the moment, the TF1 and ROTF toys are (financially) the most successful Transformers of all time.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Wow.....impressive!:eek: 

5. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    further proof the movie line sells and will always sell better than any other transformers line. the movie gets viewed by the masses where a line that is not supported by a cartoon or movie will not get the same results.

hence why hasbro will milk the movie and repaint after repaint because about 90% of the figures will sell.

i love it.

6. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    I completely agree that the numbers prove how effective the movie lines are. To give Animated and Universe lovers their due though too, I think the 2009 numbers also include those sales. I'm not suggesting Animated or Universe was responsible for those numbers, but thought I should suggest that 2009 numbers may not just be movie-related (nor 2007's).

Although it's not clear, I am almost taking that as...

2009 Toy Sales = ROTF (primary sales driver), Animated, Universe/Classics 2.0
    2007 Toy Sales = Movie (primary sales driver), Classics

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  7. guard convoy

News Credits:
    and this thread should be stickied for this EXACT reason

8. U.Magnus80

U.Magnus80 Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see this. I kinda thought they made less, judging by how many are clogging shelves at some stores.

The more money they make, the more toys we get. And ive got NO problem with that.

9. guard convoy

News Credits:
    i just want to bring this one point out.....i don't think they are clogging shelves, i think they are just well-stocked....i know for a fact one week my wal-mart got 25 of each of grindor and long-haul, few days later, GONE

10. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Goes to show that the toys sell, despite the bad reviews the movie got.

11. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Sweet! :D 

12. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bleh! IT'S ALL PART OF BAY'S MISINFORMATION CAMPAIGN!!! HASBLOW!

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Good point I think somehow the Animated and Universe releases we did get in 2009 will somehow get ignored in the rush to claim that movie toys are the only thing that matters because look Transformers had a good year.

With any luck 2010 will be a good year to show that a mix is a strong marketing plan so that we don't end up with these bad periods where one group of fans or another group of fans can't get the figures they want because Hasbro only wants to focus on just one style.

Sadly though it will all get lost in some crazy us vs them debate where we ignore that we all Transformers fans and so as long as I get what I want then screw the other fans if they get anything or not.

14. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The ironic thing is, that sentiment wasn't anywhere in this thread until you posted it. Just sayin'.

15. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's definitely worded a bit vaguely, but I interpreted it as only including the Movie-related toys, especially the 2007 numbers...

Specifically saying that the 2007 numbers are toys connected to the first Movie suggests to me that these numbers aren't including Classics, which aren't connected to the first Movie. And if the 2007 numbers are only including the Movie toys, it doesn't seem to make sense that the 2009 numbers would include RotF and all of the sublines. Seems more logical that they'd be more interested in directly comparing Movie 1 and Movie 2 toy sales to gauge the health of the Movie line, rather than TFs in general.

16. madman1366

madman1366 "The Bad Guy"

News Credits:
    Yeah, but go to Yahoo and check out the user reviews, those would indicate that the general public loved the movie and it was only critics who didn't take to kindly to it.

I'm sticking to my belief that critics would not have been nearly so hard on the movie if Bay had not been writing the script during the writers strike. I think that heavily contributed to a lot of the extra flak.

Just to put things in perspective though, critics average grade for ROTF: C-. User review average: B+. I think if a movie is going to receive so many 'worst of' nominations then the average review grades need to be quite a bit lower than what they were.

Now I've seen plenty of movies get far worse average grades by both critics and users. For all the talk of the critics hating this movie a C- average grade is certainly not the worst in the world. That's why I believe the bad critic reviews were more to flame Bay than anything else.

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Strange the second post of this topic was "i think this is undeniable proof that movie figures sell like crazy.....haters eat your heart out". Which sound a good deal like the division that cropped up over the different aesthetics for Transformers.

Unless haters has become some sort of term of endearment now meant to unite the fandom back into the idea of hey we all like Transformers in some form.

18. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    AfC, you seem like a decent enough guy, but you show up in EVERY thread where there's something positive about the movie franchise and start bemoaning it. I have to wonder what you're trying to accomplish at this point.

19. madman1366

madman1366 "The Bad Guy"

News Credits:
    I think that's a wash actually. Animated and Classics were not a significant portion of the sales in 2009. Both of them were pretty much winding down as the year began.

Don't forget now folks, there was also more than Classics in 2007, there was still a lot of Cybertron out early in that year and more came out later down the line when movie figures were in short supply. Granted those disappeared quicker, but then again both of those lines sold much better than the animated line ever did.

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Well, good for Hasbro. Of course they won't be able to ride the BayFormers gravy train forever.
    I was under the impression that the term 'haters' wasn't welcome here anyway. Wasn't there a sticky about it?