Transformers #8

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by UltraMagnus3786, Jun 9, 2010.

1. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Just picked this up today and I thought it was a very good read. I was disappointed when we first learned it would be a Spotlight: Spike, but as Costa has shown, he can really get inside certain characters' heads when he wants to. The issue hints that Spike has some dark secrets, and his actions at the end certainly confirm some dark tendencies. Very interesting read, especially for anyone who doesn't like Spike, even since AHM. This issue doesn't make me like him by a long shot, but it does add some needed layers and fleshes out his character a bit more.

I dig Saltares's art. His humans are slightly reminiscent of Don's, but less cartoony I think. While the facial expressions might be exaggerated, I thought they were still well done. Great read.

2. Lord T

Lord T Golden

News Credits:
    How does the artwork for the robots look? We've had some quite varied styles lately (and I can't get mine until tomorrow so I'd appreciate the info).

3. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't like it, the second half really pissed me off & I just find Spike's character uninteresting. It's good writing by Costa, I'm not not a fan of what he's writing about in this issue.

4. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    Don't like this book at all....has nothing to do with the main story going on at all. The art work isn't bad but the story is just useless in my own opinion.

I didn't like the fact that there wasn't a single Transformer in the book until almost the very end, if anything they could've made this a one shot for Spike, that way I could've passed it up.

Here's hoping the next issue picks up or I'll be dropping this one like the GI Joe series they have going.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm probably dropping it from my pulls after this issue.

6. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wouldn't drop it just yet. The next story arc starts with #9 and it looks like it will be pretty good.

As for this issue, I haven't read it yet, but I've known for some time that it would focus on Spike. So I'm not all that surprised by the lack of TFs.

7. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

Well I'm giving IDW one more story arc to get their shit together. If they don't I'm done with them. This issue was a complete waste.

8. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

This was definitely a weaker issue. Kinda boring with all the focus on Spike. A character that I haven't been impressed with. I'm still not impressed with him. I was starting to think there might be hope for his character, but this issue made me hate him again.

9. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Overall, I will still be picking up the book despite this issue. Methinks the return of Guidi on art duties and the introduction of the Combaticons spells trouble for overconfident Spike and his merry band of military folks...

10. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Very weak issue. Pretty much defines ongoing. There is no real substance. At the very least, it would be nice to have the same art team for several issues. While I don't want Don's bay-verse bots to come back, I would like to see some cohesion between issues.

I'm honestly rooting for someone to squish Spike. His character would not be missed (like so man other humans). I have serious doubts ongoing will outlast G2 in regards to number of issues. That's how bad ongoing has been IMHO.

11. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

I'm getting close to dropping Ongoing as well. I have no interest in Spike (unless we get Fortress Maximus involved) and the end was kind of annoying. This comic keeps going places I have no interest in following.

12. OriginalScream

OriginalScream Well-Known Member

Were any transformers involved at all? I got my hopes high when I saw Scrapper on the front cover only to have them dashed when I saw the Spike I had come to know and loathe.

13. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

Yes, Scrapper was in the issue. People are avoiding talking about it directly because of spoilers for those who haven't read.

14. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I'm actually a bit surprised at the general reaction. While I didn't expect people to change their minds about Spike (I certainly didn't), I thought people would enjoy the issue for what it was.

I liked it for the writing. I'm also glad that Costa isn't afraid to make unlikeable human characters. Sure, humans have been annoying in the past when it comes to IDW's comics and even cartoons, but never outright unlikeable. This Spike/Witwicky has been a radical departure from anything we've seen before (to my knowledge) since G1-- the jury is still out on whether that's for the better, but I accept the departure.

And for anyone who thought Spike might've started to redeem himself at the end of the first arc should reconsider-- he is a ruthless military realist with dark secrets. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

But in the meantime, let's get back to the bots.

15. OriginalScream

OriginalScream Well-Known Member

(Just read the ending)

Thanks for killing off the leader of one of my favourite teams, Mike Costa. It really makes me want to continue reading your crap and root for Spike.

(Sarcasm ended)

16. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Hrrm. I think it says something when the part that really piqued my interest in this issue was the part where they mentioned the various other "disturbances" on the globe. Who cares about Spike and Scrapper right now, show me what's going on in the Middle East and China and the Northwest U.S.!

17. Sinestro

Sinestro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Flicked through issue 8 at my lcs, and decided this will be my jump off point. With being eight issues in I can't see where Costa's overall storyline is heading and I don't seem to care either.

Shame really, this will be the first time since around 1989/1990 I've dropped a TF book.

18. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, I finally got this issue today and I have to say that I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I wouldn't call it great, and I'm still no fan of Spike. However, the writing was pretty solid, and I actually liked the fight with Scrapper at the end. Although, I think the fight would've been better had Scrapper been able to at least hurt Spike during the confrontation, instead of him getting off without a scratch. It would've made it a bit more believable IMO.

All in all the issue was okay, but let's get back to the meat of the story next time. (i.e. more robots, less humans!)

Issues 9-12 are supposed to focus on what's happening at the Korean border region, which is mentioned this issue. I believe Combaticons are involved. So, it looks like you'll get your wish.

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Urgh. Dreadful. I hate too much human focus in TF at the best of times, but this was just going too far. I have no interest in this version of Spike to begin with and a whole issue devoted to him felt like a waste of money to me. If this had been a Spotlight I'd have probably not picked it up. Which is probably why IDW didn't make it a Spotlight as they know some people don't like gaps in their numbered comic collections and would still buy it.
    And the fight at the end. Really? If only Spike had been involved when the Decepticons first invaded Earth then he could've defeated them all with one hand tied behind his back. Not even remotely believeable. The pleading Scrapper was just embarressing too.

This might very well be the issue that pushes me away from IDW. And considering some of the dross they've put out in the past that's saying something.

20. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    The ongoing has been absolutely terrible. Wreckers was the one beacon of a decent, fun comic in a series of disasters that have characterised IDW's Transformers comics since All Hail Megatron.