Transformers #7 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, May 25, 2010.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
  2. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    As much as it's not the kind of thing I'm that fussed about, the constant body switching it beginning to annoy me.

Blurr's been a sports car, a Cybertronian speeder, a sports car, and now a Cybertronian speeder again in the space of about 5 issues (including the Bumblebee mini). Optimus Prime is now no longer Classics Optimus Prime but is just some kind of generic G1 looking Prime. Jetfire went from Classics Jetfire in Stormbringer, to B1B Lancer (or similar, the alt mode was seen in concept art) for the first six issues, and is now rocking a G1 Skyfire look. Bumblebee is back to being a VW beetle again (are we meant to ignore the Bumblebee mini?)

That said they did keep Starscream in his Masterpiece body.

To be honest that's not really the kind of thing that bothers me but the amount that it's been happening with IDW stuff is beginning to get on my nerves a bit.

Something that does annoy me about the art in this is that all of the Transformers look like they've contracted some kind of hideous skin disease... they're all randomly mottled.

3. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    'Brilliant Soldiering'

Seriously?

I know Prime is from another planet, but really I'd have expected a better grasp of the English language than that.

4. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have to agree about the constantly changing body designs. I don't mind differing art styles, but it would be nice to see the same designs used by all of the artists.

That being said, I'm still looking forward to this issue and seeing where the story goes from here.

5. Oracle_Aesir

Oracle_Aesir Outback is back

News Credits:
    I just had to do a double-take there, they have faces!!!

looks cool :D 

6. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    I'm still trying to figure out what that random mottling is all about... It's not shadows, as the art has all the shadows as very deep and pitch black.

In which splinter continuity didn't they have faces?

7. Oracle_Aesir

News Credits:
    The movie-g1 hybrid style

I liked it, but it looked odd in a G1 storyline

8. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    I'm fairly sure they all had faces in issues 1-6 of the Ongoing.

Maybe I'm not remembering it right though.

9. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Eyes? Check.

Nose? Check.

Mouth? Check.

Pretty sure having all those means you have a face.

Looking forward to this issue. I do agree with the new round of body swapping. I mean atleast keep BB in his camero body to keep things consistant.

10. Oracle_Aesir

News Credits:
    But face's don't normally look skeletal

I've already said I liked that design anyway, but I prefer this design in ongoing, since the earlier stories used a more traditional design (Infiltration-AHM I mean)

11. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Actually, that's EJ Su's own IDW Earth Optimus Prime body, the same one he introduced way back in Infiltration issue 6 in 2006. It was not until Don was assigned to the ongoing that Prime's Earth body design changed.

Jetfire is still in his Classics body.

12. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    I like the artwork, reminds me a bit of Animated (though leaning more toward a G1 style). Though I agree, the mottling is a bit odd!

13. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    Jetfire's classics body has a lot more red than that. And different... well I was going to say arms but different everything really.

Like I said it's not really a big issue, just kind of annoying.

14. KAGE

KAGE aka: GibsonKAGE

News Credits:
    Here we go again -_- ~sigh~

An artist can draw in his own style but SERIOUSLY share the same character models! When this series started it was like they tried to milk off ROTF now that the movie hype died they are warming people up for the return of G1 and WFC. Just sell the F*ck'n robots for what they are and try to keep some design consistency, I don't care about the art!

As for Starscream, hes one of the few who is in their correct form. It's like after AHM they just gave up on design consistency. Nick Roche is the only one who seems to really care about making that kind of effort! Like what was the whole bloody point of Bumblebee's upgrade!?

Yeah EJ's new style has grown on me with this issue, can't wait to have it. While I'm glad to see everyone in their original forms, I'm still annoyed with the character design issue. :thumbdown 

15. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

I figure the 'mottling' is reflective shading rendered stylistically and efficiently... Though don't ask me who polishes the walls.

16. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    Ok, not sure about he mega-chins, but I do prefer the fleshed out faces to Don's skeletal designs. The change in Bumblebee's design is just bizarre - has he been upgraded or not? It's one thing to allow different interpretations of the characters, but when continuity gets dumped in just a couple of issues, that's something else.

What happened to Su's art though, generally? His older stuff was far more precise, where as this looks kinda rushed and cartoony. If you'd asked me to peg the artist from the panels, I'd have failed miserably.

Still, storyline is looking interesting, so I'll pick this up once it hits PSN (hopefully tomorrow!)

17. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

News Credits:

:confused:  body swithcing is getting to me and are the trnasfromers in camoflouge i hate to see what they looklik in vehicale mode if they look like that in bot mode.?

18. allenspidey

allenspidey Active Member

I don't like the art style at all. I know IDW isn't a big company but there has to be someone out there that can draw a decent looking transformer for a company with a low budget. It's almost bad enough for me to quit buying the book.

19. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    It's interesting that they decided to give Starscream a camo pattern. He kinda looks like G2 Starscream now.

20. shumworld

shumworld Well-Known Member

maybe a tie in for this year's botcon.