Transformers 4 Toy Line. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheBigMachine, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    So, for me and many others, the highlight of the movie toys was leader-class ROTF Optimus Prime (and subsequently 'Buster' Prime, Jetwing Prime, etc.). What I appreciate about that mold is that it was a unique, detailed, alien robot mold that held true to feeling like the Optimus Prime we all know. In other words, when you saw him in the movie and in the toy line it felt like he had enough G1 and enough of a modern update to 'feel' right. So, what if Has/Tak pursued that idea going forward with the rest of their characters? Why not give us an Ironhide, Sideswipe, Mirage, etc. that feel like the G1 characters but in the detailed movie style like they did with leader Optimus?

I'll put this way. If you were a kid in the 80's and then fell into a coma and woke up in 2007-08 and saw 'Buster' Prime you'd make the connection. But not so much if you saw the movie Bumblebee (which actually I think is a nice update), Mirage, Wheeljack, etc. So, I guess I'm curious to see what everyone thinks of that?

2. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    I want them to go back to RoTF complexity. I'm sick of this DoTM/FoC easy crap.

Also, Leader Megs and Shockers, please.

3. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I personally didn't care for the alien design of the movie trilogy figures. Yea, some were pretty good, but after collecting a bunch of them, I eventually packed most of them up because they didn't look like Transformers to me. I personally hope the 4th movie features a WfC/FoC aesthetic for the characters. Really, that's about as "alien" as a Transformer needs to be.

4. Rikerwota

Rikerwota Well-Known Member

My wallet needs a break, so I actually hope I don't like anything to do with the next movie...shouldn't be too hard...

5. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    It is Bay again so it might be best to don't get your hopes up to much Best to think : "low brow trash" - and then if your really lucky you might find something positive to mine from it - otherwise you will be as cynical about the Live Action Movies as many a non-TFW podcaster is if you make the mistake of expecting even adequacy.

Personally I find I'm a lot happier to ignore the movies completely then I can enjoy the toys much more by not knowing the Wrecker were such "D*cks" I could actually like them and look forward to getting them (not that Hasbro did much help in that regard) or enjoy Shockwave and pretend he was an actual character rather than a plot distraction/missdirection.

I'm enjoying the break from the movies far to much to contemplate another flood of Bumblebee marketing quite so soon.

6. TheBigMachine

News Credits:
    I agree, but that's why I point to ROTF Leader Optimus Prime. He didn't feel too alien to me. He felt realistic enough for a movie, but not so aesthetically out there that he was unrecognizable from the G1 toy. What I'm saying is it would be great to get more of the toys/characters to be more in line with what they did with Prime. He feels like a true masterpiece in every way. What I DON'T want is more ROTF Arcee, Elita-1, Chromia, Demolisher wackiness.

7. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Deluxe Mirage plzkthnxbai.

Find a way around the copyrights!

8. Wolfdawg

News Credits:
    Oh, well I completely agree with you. I think that Prime possibly Shockwave were the only two characters actually done right. All the other characters were either too alien for their own good (Megatron, Soundwave, Ravage, and Bumblebee) or just bore absolutely NO resemblence to their G1 namesakes (Ratchet, Starscream, Ironhide, Que(Wheeljack), and Soundwave).

9. JetFormers

JetFormers « Ultima Ratio Hecate »

News Credits:
    Stop with the bumblebee molds!! 2-3 different/repaint of him is fine..but over 10?! No just no..And they need to improve there Optimus prime figures. The Dotm line for Optimus, and his butterfly super mode did not fly well with me in my opinion. Also staying on topic I feel that the designed for the characters felt ok for our modern time the only thing that I did wish is that they have hint of old GI colors to their G1 self. Like having Wheeljack being his old color is cool, for Ironhide it be hints or decals that has red on them to I.D them as their G1 self.

10. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    I think jumbles of parts are far more realistic and believable than "block a and block b comprise arm." I love the movie aesthetic. I can actually imagine these Transformers originating via atechnogenesis.

11. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    They should just make everything repaints and retools from the Unicron Trilogy.

12. AutobotMirage

AutobotMirage Wrecker

News Credits:
    Im excited for the line. Hopefully the toys wont be hindered by some useless gimmick and hopefully we can get all of the toys from the movie and not have problems like DOTM did.

13. Kylehudson14

Kylehudson14 On when I'm on

What he said o_o

14. Wolfdawg

News Credits:
    Oh I agree that the movie aesthetic is pretty realistic. But see, that's my problem. You're making a movie about toys from the 80's which spawned a cartoon with the ludicrous concept that advanced lifeforms can transform into basically any machine they want of which, through a stroke of luck, Earth has tons. The entire premise is just batshit insane and an excuse to sell toys. Why, then, attempt to even make this concept realistic? It's like Dreamworks trying to make a serious movie about Street Sharks or Extreme Dinosaurs. It'll turn out awful unless you embrace the cheesiness of the source product.

Therefore, I don't see the point of trying to make the franchise realistic. It's all but impossible.

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    It's suit me fine if toys were skipped altogether. DotM nearly did that anyways.

16. Scaleface

Scaleface Banned

News Credits:
    I want the line skipped so they can concentrate on actual toys I want, like Classics.

17. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Because the designs look fucking awesome. I'm pretty sure that came before "realistic" in priority.

18. Wolfdawg

News Credits:
    Well it's all a matter of opinion because I think the majority of the designs looked like shit and I would have much preferred the characters look like their WfC/FoC counterparts.

Edit

Let me expound on that. You said they look awesome right? Well, being honest, if I were to look at them as something other than Transformers, I'd think the robot designs looked awesome as well. However, I think Gundams look awesome, but I don't want my Transformers to look like them. I want them to keep SOME type of semblance to the source material, ya know? As I said before, some designs actually resembled their source counterparts. However, far too many took it to the extreme. Arcee, Demolisher, Wheeljack, and Ironhide just to name a few. I guess I'd just rather the character at least resemble who they're supposed to be. That'd be like me making a Scooby Doo movie and changing the Scooby from a Great Dane to a Pitt Bull just because I thought it looked cool.

19. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Well, 2/3 of the movies came before WFC...

Like you said, It's all a matter of opinion. I'm just glad the designers had the balls to do their own thing and be creative.

20. TheBigMachine

News Credits:
    I won't argue with that. Classics is my first love for sure, but we all know they're going to do toys for 'movie 4'. I'm just hoping that they'll be an improvement over what most of them were. Supposedly, the next movie is supposed to re-envision the character models. So, I'm hoping that we get characters reformatted physically, and in some cases alt-mode wise, to resemble more of their G1 persona's. Again, more like 'Buster' Prime. Personally, I think TFTM Arcee was far better than ROTF Arcee because she at least had more of a humanesque figure. Don't get me started on Q/Wheeljack and the rest of the Wreckers.