Transformers #4 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, Feb 23, 2010.

1. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

my questions are:

where is metroplex? what was he guarding? and when will we find out?

2. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    This issue caught me totally off-guard. Wow, the writing got real good real fast.

I've always thought that humans were far superior to Transformers because of how much we change, how much we create, and the nature of our short life spans constantly bringing new people into being with new ideas and new perspectives.

And Thundercracker finally sees it. I loved it.

3. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

At first I thought that thundercrackers different appearance was just artistic interpretation...until I realized that he looked different between his flashbacks, and his current form. I guess the artist wanted to imply the change in models of jet between 3 years ago and present.

4. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    Yeah, it looks like after the 'cons find TC, they repair him and that's when he becomes an F-22 again. I have to wonder now if Starscream and Skywarp will also reflect this change when they eventually appear in the ongoing, and if a reason will be given for their return to the F-22 design. Skywarp's still an F-15 in the BB mini, so who knows.

5. UltraMagnus3786

good eye guy!

6. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

1.) I'm gonna say "Mystery yellow bot on the right" is Sandstorm. In the prior panel you can see the helicoptor blades hanging off his back. Don't know why you guys are now arguing FOR labeling background characters, in issue 2 every one was complaining about it. And it's kinda an easter egg anyway. Part of the fun of the book is figuring out who these guys are.

2.) Love Thundercracker. That is all.

3.) Editors: IDW needs to have a staff meeting and write a "bible" for these books. Then the editors need to be put in charge of enforcing this. (although ultimately it's probably Hasbro enforcing this bible)

4.) Hot Rod's getting played by Swindle, no doubt. He's a PINO! Prime-In-Name-Only. and a great nod to all of us who never liked him anyway (whiny-mus prime!) For that matter, we don't know if Optimus has the Matrix either. As far as we know, Nova Prime still has it. (Then there's the Magnificience,,, which Hot Rod DID posses at some point,,, hmmm).
    Anyway Swindle plays on Hot Rod's ego, and it's apparently working, and Rodimus is looking like the same "can't we all just get along" hopelessly optimistic leader who get's everything screwed up he was in season 3. (Hmmm Rude Awakening of Optimus Prime anyone?)

5.) Who DOES Ultra Magnus work for anyway? If Optimus Prime's the Autobot's supreme leader,, and he abdicated, who does Magnus report too? Is this a harbinger of some "higer level" of Autobot management? Or is UM just completely off his rocker?

6.) Spike's gonna get pwned (although they do seem to be crossing him with Movie-verse Lenox a bit)

7. Sinestro

Sinestro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you could call it a bible, that would be Continuum.

The last time we saw the Matrix, it was in Starscream's possession.

8. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    It feels like things have been slow-going so far in the ongoing, but there's been enough questions, changes and character depth to keep me interested.

Issue #4 was a nice insight into Thundercracker's changing attitude toward Earth. Swindle's got us all suspicious. Hot Rod's showing signs of worrying over-confidence. Spike's exhausted all techniques with a tight-lipped Optimus Prime. And what authority is Ultra Magnus working under? I'm wondering how long before we get some answers. It takes forever waiting for the next issue.

9. libeskind

libeskind Well-Known Member

Nice story. Felt like a fan written filler episode though. The novelty of movie styled G1s is wearing off on me though. Stop drawing ugly, Don!

10. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    I finally tracked this issue down, and loved it. Thundercracker was my first Decepticon TF, and it's gratifying to see him get the characterisation he always deserved (always loved his tech specs).

I also like the fact that Magnus effectively got the finger from Hot Rod's little group. I also love his reaction of leaving in a huff, clearly unable to actually effect any change.

I haven't liked Magnus' pompous holier-than-thou attitude in IDW's continuity, to the point that I hope he gets his metallic ass handed to him very shortly.

The story needs to move on now though - there's been a lot of setup, now we need some action.

Still hate the artwork though. Sorry Don.

11. UltraMagnus3786

not sure if anyone mentioned (the most recent RoTF voyager) Seaspray being pulled out of the ocean. Cool of Don to use that design.

12. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Way better than the gigantic passenger hovercraft they threw at a minibot.

- Coeloptera

13. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I disagree, it's only been four months as opposed to the last four years of mini-series. It's going to take some adjustment.

Me too. I usually just pick up trades and already the wait for Wreckers is killing me. The ongoing is keeping me pretty damn satisfied so far. I may drop it after issue 6 and wait for trades, but so far... I'm gonna pick this up on a month-to-month basis.

:lol  well aside from that last part, the rest seems really good!

DYING to find this out as well

I'm glad someone else caught that. I wandered into this thread to point out that exact same thing! FINALLY. Some explanation on the alt mode changes. Now we need some filler retcon story to explain why the seekers became F-15's in AHM.

I see similarities... but the comic doesn't have that bed in the back for scout figures. It's close though, you're right.

14. UltraMagnus3786

i love you all. informed people talking in the TF comics threads makes me very happy.

15. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Gotta say I fell into the trap of "WTF WERE THEY THINKING!" when this series was first previewed and now I'm loving it.

- Thundercracker's developement is very interesting. It's like they're taking his bio to a new level.

- The introduction of "Rodimus Prime", once again, I love. Hot Rod self-appointing himself just seems to fit the character more to me then him getting officially promoted to Prime.

- Swindle's a devious lil' fuck. I like where he's going.

Only have 2 cons so far:

- They need to move the Optimus plot along. He's been sitting in the cage since....what....issue 2?

- Spike. I don't like him at all. They're making him more "cool and extreme" which I can do without. You already had him walking out of a hooker's place. That was good enough. There's no need to keep pointing out how "badass" he is by now having him grow facial hair and wear sunglasses.

16. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

I canceled the ongoing for this reason too.

17. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Okay, I've largely ignored the comics for a while, I caught myself up every so often but I haven't been a fan of IDW's storytelling style. But I had an instinct to pick this one up cause I loved Thundercracker's depiction in All Hail Megatron, despite how slow it went.

Wow. Holy crap, wow. There was so much in that issue that doesn't usually come to mind like the fact the Transformers don't create anything like humans do, and that life transforms in more ways than any Transformer. I also liked some of the scenarios presented like Magnus acting as an enforcer when there's nobody for him to enforce for.

Thundercracker has evolved into a really dynamic character and I put down the book honestly thinking that, in the IDWverse at least, he could never be a villain again. Not that he'd ever be an Autobot, but he's never going to agree with Megatron or Starscream's ideology again. And in a way I find it ironic that this arc began because of Prime's lack of consideration for the planet, while Thundercracker, a Decepticon, has begun to appreciate it at a level that Optimus never has (in this universe anyway). I might actually keep up with the books from here on out if only to see how they treat the character from now on. I really want to know where he'll stand once Megatron inevitably returns.

18. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

That's a beautiful summation of what this issue brings that others really haven't. It's quite, I guess you could say, deep. I think Costa's aim was to make you think on a deeper level about the Transformers and their relationship to Earth and the humans. Rather than focus, as other writers have in the past, on how mankind has been inferior to the bots, Mike flips it around here and presents things from an entirely new perspective, a perspective which you have succinctly described above.

19. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Frankly, I see Thundercracker wanted to copy the relentless drive to adapt and create that humans have in his own kind.

That would make him the most dangerous Decepticon of all time. I cannot see him ever changing his basic philosophy of superiority and putting oneself up against real challenges. I think his ideas would still fit quite well with, and even revitalize the now-crumbling Decepticon ethos.

- Coeloptera

20. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

I agree with you. I don't see him suddenly becoming this benevolent character. He's going to learn what he can from humans, and then use it to further the 'Con cause. As soon as Swindle fails miserably, I think he'll step up.