Transformers 3 IS In 3D Says Michael Bay (But Not In IMAX 3D)

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i'd be happy either way, really. and i thought we knew this was happening anyway, like, a month ago

2. jamjam101

jamjam101 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Even though I'm not a fan of the 3D, I definitely would watch it that way for the first show. Cause cumon, it was filmed that way!

3. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:

I have to say, although it is true that they are probably right about SOME of it being filmed in 2D, I personally think that it is still shoddy reporting. "Hey, some guy told us they are filming it in 2D and converting it! And since I didn't see any 3D cameras (even though everyone else did) then it must be true! No need to fact check!" This is the problem with internet journalism.

4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    YouTube - TF3 3D Comment

What exactly makes this guy more credible than Bay, Nelson, or the AICN guy that went on set last August? Checked him up on imdb, and all he has is a few producer credits, an upcoming film I never heard of before (doesn't even have wiki page, it's that low-profile), and was a script coordinator for Armageddon (a Bay film from almost 15 years ago). Not exactly what I'd call a "close source", especially in comparison to others we've heard from. I'm tempted to think he's just stirring the pot.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  5. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It sucks being one of the few people that LIKE 3D. :( 

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

In way though there is a 2D option, just if you go with it you have to wait a few months.

I've got a fairly nice 32" HDTV at home. On my X-Box 360 and the HDMI cables the movies at home have sometimes looked better than watching them in the theater. I don't have theater quality sound yet, but it's nice being able to chose the volume yourself.

Perhaps with any good sales over the holiday I might even be able to go Blu-Ray so waiting for the 2D rental of a film isn't all bad.

Oh and the snacks with the home 2D option are super cheap compared to movie theater snacks.

7. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    It actually doesn't suck, and you aren't one of the few people, because they're making more 3D films than ever before. People are consistently choosing 3D screenings over 2D screenings. All the 3D haters are going to look pretty stupid in years to come. Before colour became mainstream, people made similar claims about it being a gimmick, that 'colour hurts my eyes' etc. We all know the curmudgeons who dismiss and begrudge any benefits of some new technology as if their way of life is under threat.

The fact that they're making TF3 in 3D will give it longevity. Look at colour films from the thirties: The wizard of Oz, Disney's Snow White. Do you think kids would've been willing to watch them for decades after the fact if they'd been in Black and White?

I'm not biased against a medium, or against a technology. I'll watch things in 3D, 2D, Colour, B&W, I'll even watch the odd silent movie. The thing that matters is how the medium is used, and how the story works within the medium. I'd sooner watch a crisp black and white picture than a murky colour conversion, and I'd sooner watch a 2D illusion of depth than a swimmy 3D conversion. But 3D can be awesome. There's reallly nothing like it.

8. Wheeljack_Prime

News Credits:
    The article's been updated. TF3 is being indeed shot in true 3D (at least mostly). There are a few 2D cameras rolling every now and then, but the 3D ones are always present at shoots.

9. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Has this been CONFIRMED to be filmed in IMAX as well?

10. nintendocon

nintendocon Autocon

I hate how this movie is in 3D its going to ruin the movie.
    But if I am forced to see it in 3D Im keeping the glasses :D 

11. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My take is this. I don't hate 3-d. I CAN'T SEE 3-d! I had eye surgery and can't see any 3-d at all. That means i can't any movie in 3-d. My little nephew can't see 3-d also. We have two movies and none of them get the 2-d version. If i want to see a movie i have to drive an hour out of town to see a 2-d version. I wanted to take my nephew to see toy story 3 but nope. It's in 3-d and we can't see it. So when folks say "you just don't like 3-d", you are wrong. I don't hate 3-d. I can't see 3-d.

Hollywood should be forced to release a 2-d version with every 3-d version.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Like any new film technology it's going to take Hollywood a while before they can do anything really worth while with this new technology.

The first silent films were pretty bad but then Hollywood mastered the art into their best silent films. Early color films can almost give you a headache but then they mastered color so it imitated life instead. Ouch or just look at how bad early CGI was.

I'm just not in a rush right now though to see 3D because it's still in it's stumbling steps phase. It's okay if a film maker exploits it as a gimmick like with Piranha 3D, but it's not the enhancement yet that Hollywood wants it to be. More of a way to make more money with fewer butts in the seats right now than a useful tool in the film making art.

13. DarthP00P00

DarthP00P00 Autobot

Wow, and i thought my head hurt after Revenge of the Fallen...
    This movie will bake my brain for sure!

14. DarthP00P00

DarthP00P00 Autobot

Lol i did that with AVATAR...
    I have three pairs now...

15. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

*Cough*

Strictly speaking it's the Cameron/Pace 3D Rig -James had quite a lot to do with it's development. Credit where it's due and all that. Cool video here (if you can turn off the annoying commercial pop ups):

James Cameron Shows Off The Cameron/Pace 3D Camera Rig | /Film

You have a very poor understanding of current 3D technology if you think it still uses the old 'Red & Blue' system. Up till now DVD stuff was in a variety of colours and not polarised, but the new 3D TVs are changing that. They will become cheap fairly rapidly in the same way as Blu-ray players.

Avatar was not a universal critical success. It has been frequently knocked for its simplistic and plagarised storyline. The main reason it did so well was that despite it's flaws audiences enjoyed the screenplay and found it had universally recognisable themes. It was also utterly beautiful to look at (shot for shot the direction is wonderful) - nobody else has managed to bring to life such fabulously realistic mo-cap characters : Gollum from the 'Rings' trilogy looks like a Disney drawing by comparison. The photo realism is staggering in the close ups of the Na'vi.

That it had the best use of 3D yet seen at cinemas was simply a bonus.

It is currently impossible to shoot 3D and Imax at the same time. However, as Avatar illustrated, it is possible to do a slightly cropped 'blow up' of the footage to suit IMAX screens (the shape of the image in 3D does not fit the IMAX screen). Cameron always had this in mind, and was very careful in how he converted everything. He considers the IMAX 3D to be the best way to see the film and I have to say I agree. Transformers may very well go along similar lines.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  16. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Yay, the first two movies were far too focused on plot and character development so I'm glad they've brought something transitory and gimmicky in to make this one lighter and fluffier...

17. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lulz.

I'm personally looking forward to seeing some huge Baysplosions in 3D. Wheee! :bay 

18. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

you know what's kind of funny is the two previous TF films did have scenes that felt like they would have been purposely conceived for 3D.
    Like the scene with the soldiers running toward the screen, and Scorponok jumps out of the sand behind them. Or the scene in ROTF where we get a close up of Primes gun and the camera follows the projectile across the screen as it hits Megatron.

19. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

This is news? I thought we knew about this a long time ago.

20. Wheeljack_Prime

News Credits:
    We did. Screenrant.com just ran a little piece a few days ago that claimed it wasn't (since been updated).