Transformers 3 Chicago Incident

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Jimmy88, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Jimmy88

Jimmy88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Please read the following" Hi guys its Jimmy, not sure if you remember when I said when that Paramount wanted all the videos off that they would be Super Nazis, well today was a taste of it. When I got out of Union Station I looked at the post office(what posed as Gotham National Bank and the police station for the Dark Knight) and noticed that the condemned frame around it was gone. Then as I went across the river I saw them putting lettering on the side of the building. I was going to walk over but I wanted to see the Wacker set. I went to the Wacker set and saw debris and Duhamel putting his boots on. Following that I decided to go back to the post office to get a closer look. When I saw it the letters were gone(maybe they were just getting the spacing) but they were converting it into a government installation of some type with high barbed wire fences. There were many gray semi trucks and signs that said "Department of Health and Human Sciences" also "Access Restricted to Level 4 security." Now the side walk was opened and I got pretty close when all of sudden this big guy with a handle bar mustache and black hat came out of one of the production trucks and said that I didnt have the proper authority to take photos and that it was illegal(he also referenced "how there is too much stuff on youtube, and that there were 8 arrests on set yesterday"). I highly doubt that there were 8 arrests on set just for taking photos. Since it was illegal he said that I can be taken to jail and if the chicago cop sitting in the car(I walked right past him mind you) saw me, saw that I didnt have the clearance to be here, that he could slap the cuffs on me and take me away. At first I thought ok maybe he has something there, or even if he was just going along with the set saying "Access Restricted" just for a funny, but then he said that if I was across the street(which was maybe 30ft) that there would be nothing that they can do if I took photos, (when you can get the same photos from across the street) right there I thought that this dude was pulling one off on me. If they really wanted no photos there would have been signs or the sidewalk would have been closed. I also thought that maybe since I was maybe the first to spot this, that they had a problem with me, but if one of you guys journeys to the post office beware of a heavy set guy with a black cowboy hat and mustache........let me know your thoughts about this..... Enjoy:)  And here is another thing in todays world people dont have much to look forward to, whats wrong with taking a couple photos......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What's this got to do with the movie? Or are you trying to say that you think this is part of the movie?

3. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    cool pics

4. Jimmy88

News Credits:
    No I believe this is part of the movie because Ive seen another pic with these trucks in it and the guy was even talking about how they are going to be filming in the next week, someone on here even said they were going to film at the post office at the end of this week....

5. marshall dusty

marshall dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  6. Jimmy88

News Credits:
  7. Jimmy88

News Credits:
  8. Jimmy88

News Credits:
  9. Jimmy88

News Credits:
    Thanks man:) 

10. zztopeurope

zztopeurope Active Member

Yes, this is all for TF3, they are filming there probably from Monday-Wednesday. Van Buren will be closed during that time. They also have more of these HHS trucks over at the studio they are using.

Jimmy, exactly where were you when you took these photos? If they are threatening people with arrest for taking photos on a public street then this is starting to get ridiculous.

11. err76

err76 Well-Known Member

They can not arrest you for taking pictures of a building on public property, Even if the street is closed for shooting and the crew lets you walk through the area between takes you are still on public property and nothing can be done.

The only thing ANYBODY could do is if an elected official quarantine's the area per say, that it is completely off limits to everybody, then you could be arrested for trespassing. These are just scare tactics.

Sorry, not picking on you ZZ, just replying in general.

12. zztopeurope

zztopeurope Active Member

If somebody sneaks onto a closed set, then yes, they could be arrested for trespassing...whether they're taking a photo or not. The act of taking the photo is not illegal....but all of these streets are officially closed off by the City of Chicago, not Paramount Pictures, so if you evade a barricade you do so at your own risk.

Now obviously, if a street is closed, but a sidewalk is open, then you're on a public sidewalk, and that's a different story.

13. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ohhhh, I had forgotten about that they are filming at the old post office building. Good eye dude! What part of Chitown are you in? I'll be up there sometime this weekend, maybe we can get together n bs!

14. Jimmy88

News Credits:
    Yeah man I know, where was I??? I was on the sidewalk right in front of the building and it was not closed off, no signs, no barracades, nothing, the only thing were cones blocking the drive way to get into where they were working, thats it, he was making it seem like you cant take any photos anywhere, when a few blocks north you have 100s of people taking whatever they want and they(including me) were and are getting pics of Shia, Dempsey, Bee, Prime, the Wreckers, etc. when those are the real spoilers they need to keep out of site, not a building set that they are currently prepping......

15. Jimmy88

News Credits:
    Yeah I know, but I dont understand, I saw a pic of someone lifting a piece of debris right in front of everyone and it was blocked off, and I have even read stories about people crossing barracades and no one saying anything. Although I have gotten unbelievable pics and video over the past 4 weeks and even though this was my first run in like this, when I hear stories like that why the hell cant I take a pic of a set without being read the riot act...........

16. Jimmy88

News Credits:
    Yeah thats what I thought, scare tactics, but it seemed so unfair, I wasnt bothering anyone and it wasnt like I was planning to sell the pics to make money, I bet he wouldnt have pulled that stuff off if there was a group of 100s like on the other sets, when over there they let you take as many as you want......

17. Jimmy88

News Credits:
    Nice, Well man I live on the outskirts of Chicago near the Elmwood Park neighborhood, its been so convenient because the train is a 15 min walk from my house and its just a 20min ride to the loop.....where you at??

18. err76

err76 Well-Known Member

You made my point exactly. If it is officially closed by an elected official(Office of the Mayor) Then yes, you could be picked up. Standing on a corner with a hand cam shooting right over the security guards shoulder is not trespassing. The OP said he was standing with a high wire fence in front of him but was still on the sidewalk, That is not trespassing. If he had passed a blockade or jumped the fence he could get arrested, More than likely the cop on duty would just harass him some and send him on his way.

For the area to be officially closed off there must be barricades in place with either a police officer or crew member actively maintaining a perimeter. It cant just be a lamp post with a sign that say's movie set. The law is very precise about this.

Most likely what happened to the OP was a part of crew security wanted to feel important and harass someone. If it was a problem the cop that he walked passed would have done something.

If it was truly a legit gripe by Bay, all it would take is for him to get on the phone and make a call and there would be cops all over the place arresting people.

Bay is just pissed that everything he is filming is ending up on the internet which is a copyright infringement. So what happens, Stuff roles downhill, He gripes to the production manager who tells the set people to start harassing everyone with a camera.

19. Jimmy88

News Credits:
    Exactly!!!!! yeah that sounds like it would be the process.....and yeah if it was a serious and i mean serious issue with Bay then he would have blocked off all the sets and have absolutley no pics be taken....

20. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's the old Post Office where they filmed the opening Bank robbery in The Dark Knight.

I work near there...guess I'll have to stop on by tomorrow after work.

Btw, I heard some rotors outside my apt building and it shook the frames. I glanced out a little while after and saw 2 Blackhawk Helicopters flying around...could we have more Decepticons, or are these the good guys?