Transformers #29 SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ORIO, Nov 2, 2011.

1. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just picked this up and read it on my lunch break.

This issue honestly surprised me. It has a VERY good twist that I wasn't expecting. I thought this story would've ended in a characters death for sheer sensationalism but the way they've ended the entire alliance with Earth is pretty badass.

If Swindles involvement has been planned from the beginning, then I gotta give Costa just a little more credit. Just a little.

Prowl still isn't acting like IDW Prowl. Only downside.

I was pleased to see them touch on facsimiles again too. Well done.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I felt pretty 'meh' about it. To me the whole Spike thing and the 'murder' of a Decepticon has been a pointless diversion to the grander story. Add in that I just can't get up enough interest to remember which human is which and what they've done so far and this story, revelations about Swindle and all, falls flat with me.
    Prowl's moralising with Spike might've been interesting if it was ever going to change anything for either character, but it's not. And if it somehow actually did then IDW will just piss it up against the wall a few issues later anyway.
    The artwork was okay here and there. Didn't enjoy the curvy-wurvy-ness of the TF. They just seemed a bit too cartooney at times, especially the faces. And the design of Jazz was just awful. He looked more like a Throttlebot.

Thank Zod we'll be completely getting off of Earth soon. As much as I generally dislike too much space opera in my TF this run of Earth stories have been an utter mess.

I think Prowl said (thought) it well in this very issue:

This entire period. This whole post-war malaise: one confusing, complicated disaster after another. It raises a lot of questions.

He could almost be talking about this run of comics. Maybe he is. Maybe it's a subtle confession by IDW.

3. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do feel that poor Jazz had a great set up for some crazy development and it went no where. I guess the ending was just supposed to be him trying to make up for his past actions? Kinda fell flat. I do feel meh on that...

Overall though, I liked it.

4. King Henrik

King Henrik Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    am i crazy or is prowl holding the aequitas data disk from LSotW at the end?

5. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He is. It's even heavily alluded to earlier in the comic (Prowl says something about being in "moral checkmate" with Spike).

6. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

I liked it for the most part but was left with this feeling of...okay. Was hoping for a death too just to go out in a bang and wanted a little more of something with Jazz. Really loved the whole "interaction" between Magnus and Swindle tho and yes the tf's did look a little cartoony at times. I haven't been reading tf comics too long but being the completionist that I am, felt like somethings were missing. Maybe I missed something along the way but what happened to the rest of the combaticons for instance? From the looks and sounds of it however, I don't think the types of questions I have will ever be answered with the way this story was written.

7. KAGE

KAGE aka: GibsonKAGE

News Credits:
    Took the words right out my mouth!

I was thinking that myself. I'm real curious to see where the new series goes but at the sametime. I've been let down by every TF IDW relaunch :( 

8. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A few questions:

1. What does Spike get out of teaming up with Swindle?

2. What does Swindle get out of teaming up with Spike?

3. Was Swindle's teaming with Spike/Skywatch part of Megatron's plan?

4. Because Swindle is apparently responsible for the little Megatron guns, so he must still be in contact with and taking orders from Megs, right?

5. And if so, Megatron allowed Swindle to conduct operations that required the death of Scrapper?

6. I'm told Spike does all this because he's afraid of the destructive power of combiner teams. So he teams up with the one guy that MAKES combiners?

9. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

1. At the end of AHM, the humans had no effective tech against Transformers. It makes sense that he would look for some kind of edge against Transformers after the devastation they had brought to NYC and his friends.
    2. Maybe that's yet to be seen? Maybe the satisfaction of knowing the humans would then hunt down Transformers (read: Autobots because they were too dumb to fight back).
    3. Again, it is unclear from the books IIRC, but it does go with the Decepticon's old methods of subtle interference for the purpose of instability. Perhaps phase 2 is "sell infiltrated targets advanced weaponry."
    4. If Swindle wasn't taking orders from Megs from the start, I think he was by the end of the series. He must have gotten the guns when Megs came to earth with his new body.
    5. I don't think they foresaw advanced Cybertronian tech (aka kitchen supplies and Spike's laser dodging and robo hunting) being used to execute one of their own.
    6. Ah, the irony. I thought it was funny Swindle used the tech not on himself and the other Combaticons, but on the Stunticons.

I thought this was a pretty good issue. You can't totally blame Spike for getting tech from Swindle, he unfortunately did not know whom he was dealing with. Woulda been cool in retrospect if the cons could hit a switch and turn the tech on the humans, but oh well. Nice to see that Ben was a facsimile, as him getting gunned down first shocked me then I realized--wait, he's not human. Shame all the character models for the humans kept changing, would've liked to see some consistency on that front. Magnus's googly eyes have to go...

10. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

Okay, I just read this issue and all I got out of it was a resounding meh. The whole setup was too confusing as we really didn't get any clues or hints along the way that "came together" and explained everything in a satisfactory way. Part of the problem was something already mentioned: with all the inconsistent art, I really couldn't tell half the humans apart from each other.

And finally, I still have NO idea why the Autobots would be so upset over Spike killing Scrapper. Maybe because he covered up his involvement, but quite frankly I don't see what the problem would have been if he reported it in right after he killed him.

11. Sparkykandy

Sparkykandy Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because I didn't start reading the Ongoing until this whole Chaos thing started, but all I can say is huh?

So, from my basic understanding this whole whole arc has been about investigating Spike and finding out what his big secret is. Turns out his big secret is that he's been making deals with Swindle or something like that?

I'm not sure how I feel about this issue. Probably because I'm not quite sure what this whole mystery was about.

Oh, and it's disappointing to see Spike being re-imagined as a huge jerkass. I may have never cared for Spike in the first place, but still...

12. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    I thought it was a damp squib. The plot was hardly clear, with Spike's actual crime somewhat murky. He'll murder one Decepticon but do business with another? What?

The Earth arc has been badly planned and underwhelming in concept. A few nice character moments (Streetwise in particular) aren't enough to save the series.

I'm partucularly miffed that IDW have hiked the digital price up from £1.49 to £2.49, which is print price. Once the current run is over I'm out of monthly releases altogether.

13. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Bad time to leave. Furhman is stating up the old Marvel story soon. I can't wait to have him back.

I still can't figure out what this human maccaroon has to do with Spike. Wrong age, wrong personality, wrong skill set, wrong looks, wrong relationship with the Autobots, wrong part in the story. They could have called him Spock and it would not have been any more of a character derailment.

And omg the 'bot faces were so jacked in this issue.

14. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From what I'm reading here and elsewhere, it sounds like Prowl couldn't really make anything stick in relation to Spike's motives for killing Scrapper. Moral checkmate as he put it. But someone had to be the bad guy . . .

So out of nowhere, this new plot twist that has nothing to do with Spike killing Scrapper comes into play. And this new plot twist (Swindle) conveniently paints a story where Spike is unquestionably the bad guy that Prowl thought he was. This betrayal of trust on Spike's part is apparently enough to cause Jazz to sever all alliances with the humans and the Autobots prepare to leave Earth.

Meanwhile, Spike is a fugitive and on the run, having fallen from his position of power.

It's simplistic and stupid. Prowl no longer has to come to terms with the fact that Spike is a morally dubious guy, doing questionable things (just like him), but at the end of the day he's still fighting the good fight They'd be antagonistic towards each other all the way to the end, but neither would be a full-on villain. Costa aims for these high-brow ideas, but then fails to follow through on them.

I just have this scene in my head now of Prowl getting ready to leave, perhaps stating his doubts about this whole "post-war malaise," and Spike would be standing there and say something to the effect of, "Get off our planet."

And really, what did Swindle bring to the story that we didn't already have?
    * Skywatch's tech explained? It was always assumed to be reverse-engineered from tech found during and after AHM. No further explanation needed.

* Ben Simpson and the Mega-guns? Already pretty well covered when those events were transpiring. This issue just adds an extra layer of unneeded exposition.

* Spike's a bad guy? And this is it. The Scrapper mess was too muddled to really make him into a clearcut bad guy. So Swindle was brought in as a deus ex machina to wrap it all up.

15. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Frankly I thought it was stupid that Prowl would have an issue with Spike killing a con. Like Autobots don't track down and eliminate Decepticons? Scrapper did try to kill Spike in that issue so it wasn't like he was laying there helpless the whole time. Spike should have composed a song and went on national TV saying he killed Scrapper. Then turn to Prowl & say "so friggin what?" then walked off whistling.

16. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I think #29 had the best dialogue out of all of Costa's Transformer comics. The plot was intriguing even though the reader had to read this issue to get all the pieces of the puzzle. The story does make some sense. In AHM, it is implied that Spike's sniper rifle was reverse engineered from Transformer technology. Now we find out Swindle gave it to him. No one else knew he had cybertronian tech except the buddies he was walking with.

17. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was implied that this gun was made from Shockwaves arm, who was a prisoner of Skywatch before AHM. No Swindle involved. Heck, because of that, they already had Cybertronian tech to reverse engineering, so this whole deal with Swindle is an even bigger idiocy.

The whole government knew. That's why they sent him (Spike) to the New York in the first place, to get the gun and use it against the new enemy. And since Swindle said he only dealt with Spike... Again, this has nothing to do with him.

18. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
  19. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

I prefer to think that Spike killed Scrapper as part of his deal with Swindle.
    With Devastator gone Swindle comes in with the combinder tech to make a another gestalt.

20. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    I like that explanation a lot more than Spike just going "lol imma go out and steamroll the first robot I find with mah magic acid k?"