Transformers #26

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by slugslinger2004, Sep 21, 2011.

1. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The action in Chaos finally starts to pick up. I stated in the preview thread I the art made it difficult to see what's going on; and well it's not that bad.

The thing that actually bugged me most is how lame they made Trailbreaker look. The last page makes up for my disappointment in his design though. :) 

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Read 26 just now ... I think the story is beginning to pick up for sure. The art still bothers me somewhat because it can be difficult to see what is really going on at times. All and all it's worth the read I think.

3. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    You know, with two issues left of this grand Chaos arc, I'd like to hope there'd be more, "Oh, that's what you were going for!" and less, "...what the hell is going on?"

- Page 1, panels #2 and #3 -- Who's arm is that? Is Prime trying to cover Ironhide's head? Is that Ironhide's arm? The fingers look really strange, it looks more like someone's trying to grab him by his head and drag him off panel.

- Page 1, panel #4 -- I assume that's supposed to be Kimia firing its death-ray hella laser at Cybertron? I can't tell, because it looks like there's just a bright red smear over part of Cybertron and no space station in sight.

- Page 2, panel #3 -- Who the hell is that yellow helicopter supposed to be? I guess Sandstorm, but for a while, the only Autobot helicopter I could think of in recent memory is that PCC copter drone. Also, helicopters in space. Snerk.

- Pages 3 & 4 -- It sure is nice to see Optimus assertively issuing orders to his troops, taking tactical advice and all around being the leader he's supposed to be, and not the one we're told he is.

- Page 8 -- Yeah, you compromised your position but damn. Nice shot, Wheelie! ...also, hell of Sweeps. What's up all-you-random-bots-from-Heart-of-Darkness-and-Thinkbox?

- Page 9, third panel -- ...who the hell are all these guys? Sure, there's Prime and Ironhide... um, I think that's Huffer back here and then... um... Brawn? Smokescreen? I guess that's Ratchet there in the back? Is that Skids on the left? Help?

- Page 10, third panel -- Optimus channels his movie self to unleash hell of murder and grows Cyclonus ears. Dem antennae.

- Page 11 -- Lightspeed! ...and uh... Afterburner?

- Page 13, first panel -- ...why is Trailbreaker in pain?

- Page 13, fourth panel -- What the hell is going on in this panel? Is that a torso floating in space?

- Page 14 -- Garnak! Yay!

- Page 16, first panel -- Fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuu...!

- Page 16, second panel -- who the hell is that guy behind Ironhide?

- Page 16, fourth panel -- Oh hey Jhiaxus! Stay around long enough for a name check?

- Page 17 -- I know he's supposed to be somewhat solemn and brooding, but damn. Drift can't buy dialogue, can he?

- Page 19, second panel -- Awww... he's so polite. Adorable!

- Page 19, third and fourth panel -- ...why are the spider turret robots from DOOM 3 here?

- Page 22 -- No. Seriously. What the fuck?

After two issues now, I think I can say that I like Livio's art, but I don't think it makes for good comic art. There's a lot in here that I wouldn't mind having printed in large format and hung up on a wall but the quality of the work doesn't lend itself very well to the whole sequential-needing-to-tell-a-story thing.

Also, why is it that after All Hail Megatron #14, Transformers: Infestation #1 and #2, four issues of Heart of Darkness and now two issues of Chaos, we still have no damn idea what the hell it is Galvatron is trying to do. He has the Darkness, he raised an army, he fired a gargantuan doom laser at Cybertron. Please tell me why. Please?

...and, I know its done for the sake of newer readers, probably. But, these guys aren't Decepticons. You're not gonna stop calling them that, I know. But I'd like to imagine there's a world out there that exists where maybe you would.

Finally, the events leading up to the last splash page... that crap all just happened. Like, happened for the sake of happening. Why? How? You don't just get to free pass that crap, how did that happen?

Extra bonus final thought: ...a really disappointing conclusion to one of the cooler recent additions to TF locations and lore.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  4. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

i noticed that only characters that have not had direct confrontations with the DU crew are the ones calling them Decepticons, and as for Megatron do you think he honestly knows of every Con in his army, like how in-story wise he has forgotten about OverLord an insanely powerful phase sixer for all he knows the leader could be a rogue 'Con

5. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think he forgot, as much as he didn't care about him for the moment. He had more important stuff on his head, than a Con with broken feelings. I mean I can believe if he forgot someone like Snaptrap, but a world destroyer? One of the wery few?

And the Decepticon thing just stinks like another simplification made by IDW. "So Skywatch and Machination is and always was the same thing, aaaaaaaaand... Lets call every baddie robot a Con. Yeah."

6. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Say what? But the Machination was evil and Skywatch is supposed to be run by the good guys. Did they really do this?

About Overlord. . .

*INT Nemesis bridge- night*

TROOPER
    Lord Megatron, we've intercepted an Autobot communication. They've killed Overlord!

MEGATRON
    Who?

TROOPER
    Overlord!

MEGATRON
    Hm. Doesn't ring a bell.

TROOPER
    Big guy? Phase sixer? Yeah?

MEGATRON
    Mmm . . . Nope. Oh well. If he were important, I'm sure I would've remembered him. Do we have any energon snackies in the galley?

7. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty much - from TF Wiki:

The Transformers Continuum - Transformers Wiki

8. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Oh for crying out loud. That's just stupid. Skywatch and the Machination are nothing alike. How hard is it to have 2 groups of humans in the same book, both with some high tech equipment? Skywatch, for all intents and purposes, is just the Army with mech suits. The Machination is a terrorist organization with Decepticon tech. Who thought it would be a good idea to attribute the capture and torture of Autobots AND humans to the supposed good guys? Oh yeah, and their alliance with the Decepticons too. That makes total sense.
    *facepalm*
    WTF, IDW?

9. Maverick Hunter Christian

News Credits:
    Because they didn't want to confuse new readers with two human para-military organizations with high-tech futuristic weaponry. No, seriously. Don't worry Mako, we were all really mad about this two years ago when Andy Schmidt wrote Continuum.

Largely, I don't think it really matters since The Machination was mostly rolled up in Maximum Dinobots and we haven't seen any of the related characters since then. It kinda helps me move on to just pretend that whatever was left of Scorponok was locked up in G9, all his human collaborators were incarcerated; all never to be heard from again.

10. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Yeah, Continuum should just be ignored. Or rather, thrown in a fire.

I just hope Agent Fowler in TFP never shows up with a squad of U.S. super soldiers all using high tech equipment. It would just be so confusing with both Team Fowler and MECH around. What happens when they start fighting? Oh, I've lost track of who's who! *L*

11. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Who was the decepticon on the last page?

12. Maverick Hunter Christian

News Credits:
    Its Megatron, with extra bullshit. Compare the bucket helmet, shoulder design and purple TRON lines throughout his armor; same as him cackling like a loon on page 20.

Where all that extra bullshit came from sure woulda been nice to know.

13. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    From the pen of Mike Costa.

*zing!*

14. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

Not to mention the Machination was actually Scorpinoks front for his own shenanigans. Basically Scoprinopk created and ran the Machination.

Shockwave was involved in the whole showdown with the Dynobots and the Machination. And he's was seen in LSTOW. I still don't think there's any excuse for it. Really they should have just gone with the full reboot when they did AHM if they didn't want to "confuse" new readers. It really doesn't take much explaining to say the Machination was a separate organization run by Scorponok who was experimenting with Headmasters.

I believe the armor is supposed to be made of the mini megs guns that were created from his original body.

Half decent issue, but considering we're already half way through this whole "Chaos" thing, and we have yet to even see this "big threat" that Galvatron has been trying to prepare for, I have a feeling it's not gonna be such a big threat. Whatever it really is, the D-void or whatever lame name their giving it, Optimus will probably use the matrix to destroy it in the same issue that it shows up.
    Then Optimus dies.

15. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

I like explosions and I got them, so this issue ticks the boxes for me, maybe I'm being superficial. I loved the art personally, I liked the different styles that IDW have been experimenting with lately, some of it was awkward, but some of it was wonderful, loved the space battles. Want to pour over it again to see what else I can decipher, though not the intent of the artist I imagine to make seeing the bots work lol

My guess is that all the gun drones that freed him merged with him too. But not that the art told us that.

I was entertained, not usually a challenge though.

16. Maverick Hunter Christian

News Credits:
    Indeed. I realize Shockwave "helped" "unshackle" Overlord and has been tinkering in the Decepticon background since then. I was speaking just about Machination related characters -- since we haven't heard from Scorponok, Dante Abraham, or any of their subordinates since Maximum Dinobots. My bad if I was unclear.

I think you called it right. See at first, I coulda swore that the Autobots had blasted the Mega-guns they confiscated into the sun. But I flipped through #25 again and Magnus indeed said those weapons were shipped off into space aboard Omega.

...and I double-checked the art on page 19 and upon closer inspection, you can definitely see Walther bits dangling from those spider drones. So yeah, duder, one mystery solved.

...and in one fell swoop, Megatron one-ups Movie Optimus in terms of overall creepiness. Rather than glomming someone else's rotting corpse onto himself for power armor, he bolts on pieces of his old dead body! You're wierd, Megatron!

17. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is true. It's still a lame excuse on IDWs part though.

LOL that's funny cos it's true!! It is more fitting for Megs though!

18. Sparkykandy

Sparkykandy Well-Known Member

Thought that this issue was better than the first issue of Chaos. Still, I'm going to reserve my judgement until the whole entire arc is done and over with.

Anyways, the artwork, while nifty, is too dark, it makes it hard to tell what the heck is going on.

19. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The darkness of the art made it hard to follow. But I liked it.

20. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

As usual, Livio's art has seriously impressed me in #26. Also, I've actually met the artist a few times (Wizard World, BotCon, SDCC etc). he did a good job of copying Don's dynamic skeleton for Megatron in the last issue. It's really impressive since he used only purple for that one paghe spread.