Transformers #24

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by mordecai6, Aug 25, 2011.

1. mordecai6

mordecai6 Mexi-con

News Credits:
    So I picked up this book yesterday, being really interested in the almost Tim Burton-esque art style. I have to say that after how well written #22 & #23 were, I was very dissapointed.

A big complaint for me was just the way that the characters were interacting with each other was very inconsistent with how they have been acting the last few issues. Little things like Megatron and Optimus talking to each other the way they do. Cliffjumper mistrusting Sunstreaker after it seemed like their issues had been resolved.

Also the art style is very cool to look at and gives a very epic feeling to the issue, but it's also very very hard to tell what's going a lot of the times. When Galvatron escapes by hanging on to Cyclonus, I had to look at the panel a couple of times to see what is going on.

I'm not so sure that I'm on board with this series as much as I wanted to be, I'll have to see how The Last Story on Earth goes, but I'm a bit frustrated to see the Ongoing reverting back to their old ways.

2. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I like the issue and thought it was very creative, however I agree some of the story telling and flow suffered from the art.
    It was tough to see what's going on.

Also who were some of those 'bots? I had a tough time distinguishing some of the designs.

Otherwise a solid plot and good set up.

Bring on the Megatron vs. Galvatron fight.

3. Sparkykandy

Sparkykandy Well-Known Member

Well, compared to the last two issues, it was a pretty quick read. Not sure how I feel about the artwork. While the coloring is pretty neat and nifty, I'm not sure if it should be used for a comic book. Also, I'm not a fan of the robot wrinkles that almost everybody has.

Also, the story felt sort of weak. However, I'm going to reserve my judgement until this whole Chaos arc is over with. It might read better as one whole entire thing rather than in sections.

Oh, and Bob is freaking adorable. If Hasbro ever releases a plushie of him (for a reasonable price), I'll probably buy one.

4. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was ok. My main gripe was Downshift's security diatribe and getting punched in the face mid sentence. That was pretty corny.

I don't have any issues with the way Ops and Megatron were conversing. Issue 22 was Optimus trying to figure out Megs motive and now that Megatron's fate is "sealed", there's nothing left to discuss.

Issue 21's handling of Sunstreaker shouldn't be taken literally since it from Vector Sigma's log or whatever it was called. I took that more as reading a history book's description of what happened. It would be too big a cop-out to have Sunstreaker taken back into the fold and have a happy ending with all the devastation his actions caused the Autobots over the past couple of years.

5. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I really liked it. Loved the art-the batlike sweeps with the bloodshot red eyes in those artistic hands make them much, much more epic and creepy than they really are.

I loved the "landing party". It's a combo of my favourite ongoing autobots thus far. Only thing missing is sadly, Thundercracker. Don't think we'll see him on Cybertron.

Galvatron is so far pretty inconsistent in his appearances. In HOD, he's almost a hero figure, here, he's evil and sinister-esque. If they could really decide what to do with him it'd be great.

6. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I agree Knightdramon, Galvatron is pretty esoteric. His motivation is very unclear to me and his characterization is variable.
    They need to advance his story in a clearer way.

7. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow what an utter let down after all the great dialog from the last few issues. Seems like a generic setup for a generic event.

8. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree. It's not as bad as most of Costa's run though. I thought it was pretty much up to the level of his Road to Chaos stuff with Hot Rod etc. One thing I really don't get though.... why would the sweeps be biting and eating other bots. They aren't supposed to be "infested". Definitely a downgrade from Roberts' writing though.

I really have to agree with this. I LOVE the look of the art and the coloring, but I too found that there were a few panels that it was hard to figure out what was actually going on.

9. leadsled

leadsled the word is "Mortifying"

Compared to the last couple of issues this was a snore fest of "meh"

10. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Noticed ” 113” on Kimia in the background. Nice.
    Who were the bots getting eaten?

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

It was alright. The art is neat, and although it's true that it can be a bit indistinct, I think it does convey a strong sense of atmosphere, which is important. It didn't really bother me that I couldn't identify each individual disposable victim-bot (did I see Afterburner in there?)... it's not like I trust IDW to keep an accurate death-list for second-string characters.

The story was fine. Nothing really striking, but also nothing really annoying, which is another positive step compared to Costa's writing before Chaos started ramping up.

To address a few points...

I LIKE the way Optimus is now cold towards Megatron. He extended a hand of understanding to Megs in the last couple of issues, and Megatron spat on him, and if nothing else, re-established just how irredeemable he is. If Megs and Prime were still playing at the "old war buddies" routine, it would feel stupid. The fact of the matter is that it was out of place to begin with. These guys weren't old rivals who met on the battlefield representing their respective nations... they aren't "soldiers' soldiers", who respect each other for being good at their job. That's a game you can play with the rank and file.. but not with Prime and Megs. They're the figureheads of each ideological movement. They are fundamentally opposed to everything the other stands for, on a PERSONAL level. I could see them being weary, sure... but these are two guys who should still hate each other deeply, Prime especially.

Megatron is an unrepentant mass-murderer who has committed atrocities across the galaxy, far outstripping any legitimate grievances left hanging from the "Golden Age" of Cybertron. That's REAL ancient history. The lives that Megatron casually snuffed out in the past two years, the past decade, the past century even... THAT should be the fresh, raw wounds that prevent Megs and Prime from being friendly with one another. There is no longer any room for mutual respect.

So while I REALLY enjoyed the last 2-part story by Roberts, I have to say that the amity shared by Prime and Megs was nothing but an interesting distortion of character. I'm happy to see them back to hostility.

The issue written in biblical prose was sort of cheesy, and mostly a waste of my time and money... I don't take whatever happened in it very seriously. In very real terms, it would be stupid if Sunstreaker were able to reintegrate himself into the good graces of the team. They've accepted him back... that's a HUGE step. HUUUUUUGE. But those wounds should probably never heal completely. And let's not forget that Sunstreaker was supposed to be kind of an arrogant dickhead to begin with. This should NOT be an easy path to redemption. Especially with such a live wire as Cliffjumper.

On a related note, is anybody else finding the mix of character designs sort of distracting? I mean, we've got Don's Bayformer hybrid Cliffjumper design, and Sunstreaker's Classics design? Really? Considering most of the character models have been gradually sliding back to a fairly normal G1 aesthetic, I have to say Cliffjumper (and to a lesser extent Jetfire) really looked out of place.

Totally agree with the earlier comments about Galvatron's inconsistency. In Heart of Darkness, Galvatron has become almost too philosophical and messianic... but you can see the core of his fanaticism is tempered by a weird sort of intellectual cultivation. It's an interesting take on the now traditional "insanity" of Galvatron. However, this time around, his personality has been flattened into a volatile, cartoonish supervillain with apparent delusions of grandeur. The script of this issue pays lip service to his ambiguity when Drift asks the others if maybe Galvatron might be "right"... though the dialogue with Galvatron is itself is nothing more than a sketch. Nothing is said, nothing is discussed, no meat or insight whatsoever. I'd like to see a bit more of the "misunderstood visionary" in Galvatron's portrayal, since that's been part of his character in IDW pretty much from the very beginning.

Honestly, I'm starting to realize that Costa just doesn't like dialogue. Everything is paper thin. It's like none of the characters actually want to talk to each other about anything. When he does rely on dialogue, it always feels forced and heavy on cliches, like he's trying to paint a veneer of depth on something he himself isn't interested in exploring intellectually. Compare that to someone like Robert Kirkman, who really lets his characters speak intelligently to each other, and ask the questions readers themselves would ask in those situations,and it points to a certain immaturity in Costa's stuff.

I'm kind of wondering what's up with the Sweeps too. I mean, I guess we haven't seen much of them in action up till now, and they are all constructs of the dead universe, but eating their enemies alive? To be honest, I find that portrayal of them pretty interesting and sort of cool... but I'd like to know the reason WHY... instead of just "it seemed like a wicked idea, so we just did it". :inquisiti 

Also, on the topic of Galvatron's "massive army" of reconstituted Cybertronians from battlefields across the universe... if there's so many of them, why do we ONLY see Sweeps? What about all the other bots that supposedly form the bulk of his army?

So yeah... anyway.. not bad. Curious to see what happens next... I think this issue had it's share of good stuff and questionable stuff, but overall I liked it.

zmog

12. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked this issue, it was clearly the final piece of set up for Chaos and in that way I think it worked. The art was good in places but I think some of the use of lighting in certain panels made it very difficult to make things out, if it was more clear it would be excellent.

As a single issue it was not great, but for setting up the next one and chaos it was good, I am excited for issue 25.

13. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

I tried to keep an open mind while reading this, but in the end I was disappointed. This issue is painfully mediocre.

I had mixed feelings about the art at first, but now that I've seen 22 pages of it, I can say that I don't like it. Some of the panels are confusing, the character renderings are iffy, and the coloring is way overdone (does EVERY panel have to have an ultra-bright yellow or pink or purple spotlight shining in it?). And I don't like the constant "reaching out toward nothing so your hand is splayed out" thing that so many of the characters do in this issue. This art is way better than the art for Heart of Darkness, but not anywhere near the quality that some of the other artists can manage. I wish they would keep the experimental art styles in the minis and oneshots, and make sure the main title is always drawn by one of their best people.

Story wise, it was meh. The dialogue was nothing special, and was occasionally stupid ("irony is a bitch, har har!" had me facepalming. I imagined that "wah wah waaah" sound effect after that line.). Galvatron still doesn't come across as being powerful or a threat, regardless of the size of his army. Galv has been badly mishandled through this entire story arc, IMHO. I just can't take him seriously at all.

At this point, I want Chaos to hurry up and end so we can get to the two new series.

Good point! It shows what a good writer James is that he can take an almost completely out of character situation and make it seem legit. The way he wrote those scenes makes it look like they were showing each other parts of their thoughts and feelings that they usually keep carefully hidden, sort of like a frenemy therapy session. Then when the conversation fell apart, the mental walls went back up, and it's back to business as usual with the mutual hatred that they've always shown each other. That situation could have seemed ridiculous if it was handled poorly, but James made it believeable.

Agreed. The faces in particular bugged me. Some characters like Drift and Sunstreaker had smooth G1 type faces, but Cliffjumper has the open circuitry Bayverse style face. They don't go together at all...it looks like Cliff had some of his face ripped off and hasn't bothered to get it fixed yet.

I doubt Hasbro will ever release anything like that, but it's only a matter of time until some talented fan MAKES one. :) 

14. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I've got this feeling that the entire HOD army was reformatted into Sweeps. It explains the vast numbers. Mark my words, this is the explanation ;) 

15. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

That must mean Hardhead is a sweep now. That would be lame. another issue I have with this story is that even though we're IN the Chaos arc now, it still feels like it should be the Road to Chaos or Prelude to Chaos, because much like everything else Costa does, there's still NOTHING really happening yet.

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I had this feeling too, that they might try to explain it this way... but I hope not. Just seems like a cheap excuse so the artists don't have to keep coming up with new character models. :rolleyes2 

zmog

17. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    After the last two which were brilliant this one seems a little, meh, I wish Roberts would be taken on as writer for the ongoing, he understands the characters and how to write a good transformers comic better than Costa does.

Also on page four, is the bot having his chest penetrated by Sweeps Erector?

The art style, whilst more like artwork than comics works well as individual pieces but not as a comic, it is too difficult to figure out what's going on on some panels. There has to be a balance between the artwork and the story so that one does not distract too much from the other. It's still better artwork than Heart of Darkness though, that's for sure. If the art were like Milne's the ;ast two issues i wouldn't hesitate to pick up the Chaos run.

I do like Bob though :) 

Last Story on Earth interests me quite a bit, especially since i want to see Spike's long overdue downfall.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  18. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm starting to really like the painting type style of Ramondelli, save for the faces which I scream Dull Surprise to me. Story is pretty solid also, only have read though it once so may give more thoughts later but I'm enjoying Chaos so far.

19. KAGE

KAGE aka: GibsonKAGE

News Credits:
    i feel the same, but i did get a kick out of the Alpha Trion/Bludgeon joke by Ironhide LOL!

what is that a reference too?

20. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    Everything that was so wonderful about 22 and 23 shows, in my opinion, that 24 is everything wrong with the ongoing. Bad art, bad dialogue, nothing happening.

Which artist did 24? I just can't pay attention when they all have the same expressionless face.