Transformers #23

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by UltraMagnus3786, Aug 10, 2011.

1. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Wow, even better than 22. This book gives us a backstory for how Orion became Optimus. Most of this takes place in the past, and I felt the parts in the present interrupted the flow mostly, but man was this rich in story. A nice slow read.

Art is top notch, I'm loving Milne's work so much. Good to see Sentinel back in his orange colors as well!

Amazing, keep it up IDW, let's hope Chaos and this Galvatron business picks up just as nicely.

2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    So the matrix...
    it creates life

3. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Picked this issue up as soon as I could, and I'm glad I did. It was definitely another fantastic read.

4. prime78

prime78 Well-Known Member

nice to see prime redeem himsel in the present though. seems like megatron might end up feeling guilt for it all afterall. Last issue he got the best of prime but the look on his face when he said death was of some one defeated

5. King Henrik

King Henrik Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    its interesting to read this issue now particularly because i just started the exodus novel and these flashbacks are basically the first half of the book in a condensed comic form.

6. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

This was an awesome issue. I wish Roberts and Milne were doing the rest of the Chaos stuff. Very good stuff!! I missed TF comics with substance and a great story!

7. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    HoD was pretty cool (to me) storywise, 18-21 were nice build up, 22 and 23 have me seriously hooked.

Hope the rest of this Chaos event is half as good as these last two issues. Seriously, these are probably the best issues IDW's done imo.

8. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well it did
    Bring Rodimus back from the dead

Great issue, but personally I prefer the previous one. That's no slight against this at all, it was amazing and I loved how we got more of a look at the so called "Golden Age" of Cybertron.

9. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Interesting to see how the "Golden Age" aligns with other continuities, like WFC and Exodus for example. These last two books have been more in line with those continuities, more so than ever before.

10. leadsled

leadsled the word is "Mortifying"

Top shelf issues 22 & 23 ... Hope the rest is just as good

11. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

I didn't think this issue was quite as great as #22, but it was still a good read.

It's a little disturbing that Orion Pax used the corpse of a dead TF as a vehicle, but under the circumstances I can understand why he did it. And I'm really hating Whirl right now. I would be fine if they broke continuity and melted that sucker into slag instead of hiring him as a Wrecker.

12. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I find it amusing that he is later under Impactor who was the one who killed his mates :lol  I am yet to pick this up but look forward to putting the order in for it next friday when I have money :) 

13. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's not just amusing, it's great story telling, now we know why springer was the only one to speak up after what impactor did, the rest of the original wreckers are dirty

14. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

Unfortunately, I wasnt really feelin this one. Here's why.
    How many different freakin times is Prime gonna get "passed the Matrix". Im not going to list all the different ways but damn....there are too many.

This was starting to feel way too much like a Batman comic with robots. "Im a cop. Its what I do" blah blah bleh......

The only thing I liked was how Roddy has an affinity for the Matrix and apparently vice versa, whereas it "hurt like Hell" (another corny ass line) when Optimus got it. Ha ha Prime. Roddy is better than you and you know it. Cant wait till he gets the Matrix back.

Megatron choosing death over jail was cool too.

Basically, Ive had my fill of flashbacks, Im hopin the story picks up again, and doesnt turn to shit like AHM did.

15. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

I have 3 questions:

1.) Who do you represent?
    2.) Who put you in charge?
    3.) How do we get rid of you?

Really in a nutshell those are 3 great questions. Of any govenrment.

I'm not happy with the current political body (in the US), but these are questions that have been asked thoughout history. I'm trying to imagine John Adams, Torquville (sp?) Bonnepart, Cesear, Wallace asking these questions as well.

"What will you do with a case full of citations?" Improvise! :lol 

I don't get why Prime's wrist guns were "cosmetic" but his arm pipe was stong enough to impale that other,,,, er cybertronian. Seems to me that's something I'd get fixed. (also there's a slight design nod to Armada Prime there which is kinda cool.) Sill I wish it was "not loaded/out of ammo" instead of "ceremonial". :WTF:

Also I kina wish that bot at the end was Alpha Trion instead of some nameless senator. We don't really know what they've got planed for A3 (other than he's got Metroplex, a lot of power and is slightly nuts) but in this context I'd really like to see him again.

Again another reference to Xaaron as some sort of legal entitiy. I'd love to see what the Editors have as a footprint for Cybertron's goverment system.

Anyone else get the feeling the,,, er,, guys springing Whirl weren't exactly going to let him go? Execute a loose end perhaps? Did Pax save him by making his corruption public? Thereby making him too high profile to "dissappear"? Maybe that's how he ended up becoming an Autobot (barely, as much as any Wrecker is) rather than a Con, he felt indepted to Optimus?

Sentinal isn't even a Prime yet and the Senate has plans (*cough* HZZ PLNZZZZ!:D ) for the Marix? How does Sentinal become Prime if that's the case? How does that unfold?

Still wonder what the Monsterbots have done that is so hidieous that even Grimlock is reluctant to call on them (it's an old issue but,,,) And they don't fall under the wing of the "we do it dirty" Wreckers. I know every writer has their favorite "badass squad" but some compare and contrast would be nice at some point.

I also like the reference to "monoforms" I think that's the first cannon reference to pre-transformer cybertronians. And another reference to "the greater galactic community" Evidently Cybertron is not well reguarded among the other races of the universe. I can't wait to see if they dig deeper into this. Earth, for all it's famiarity to us, is a backwater. It'd be like trying to tell the entire story of the American Revolution from the perspective of a boy living on Martha's Vinyard. He might see some British ships sail by one summer, then 5 years later witness them sail back the other way. Never realizing he was now under the control of a new government.

I don't know where Chaos is going but the whole History of Cybertron, story is so epic and compelling (when well written) I could read issue after issue of it. This is what the Bayverse lacks, any sense of why these creatures would be at war to the point of genocide for millenia. They are war machines, built for unknown reasons (Unicron?) who have begun (realatively) to become self aware and are fighting to establish their place in the universe.

It's kind of an interesting situation, that a race so long lived is actually in it's realtive infancy. No wonder some of them find the humans so facinating, in the course of a small period of time the human race has come from non-existance, to an intellectual equality with them. Despite the fact that their lifespans are only a mere 3/4 century if they're lucky. Kinda like how the Thundercats were so facinated by the Petlars.

16. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    "Monoforms" were mentioned like a terrorist group, so I think they're just some nutters who swore off their alt modes and want everyone else to do the same.

17. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    not only do i really like these past two issues, but i love that these discussion threads are about the COMIC and not arguing about the artist, the writer, the distribution, and all sorts of other crap i could not care less about. Go TFW!

18. Sparkykandy

Sparkykandy Well-Known Member

Thought that it was a pretty good issue, however, I'm glad that the flashback stuff is now over with.

Anyways, I'm curious to know if Rodimus having an affinity (of sorts) with the Matrix while Optimus does not will be something that will be touched upon in the future or not.

19. Cyclonus86

Cyclonus86 Wrecker - Wreck 'N' Rule

News Credits:
    Great issue and a good follow up from #22.

Loved how hardcore Orion Pax was. Anyone else noticed the awesome Prima statue in senate chamber with inscription "Freedom is the Right of Civilized Being" on it. Boy, the Cybertronians elite sure were douches.

Also, who do think the mysteries senator was? He seems to know Orion's future name and also his roles as a matrix bearer. Is Optimus just a pawn groomed by a faction in the Senate? I mean Optimus states that it " hurt like hell" when the Matrix bonded with him, the opposite experience Roddy had. Could it be that Optimus isn't the rightful heir to the Matrix?

I still cant believe IDW didn't give Roberts and Roache the reigns to the Ongoing series sooner and made us suffer through Costa? Can't wait for Transformers: More than meets the Eye after Chaos

Judging by the preview art from Chaos, yeah it's definitely going to play a big part.

[​IMG]

20. PaladinVance

PaladinVance Watch your step. TFW2005 Supporter

that could prove intersting, but other than Impactor and now Whirl, have we seen an IDW backstory for any of the others? (outside of brief mentions in LSotW?)(and I'm only referring to the 'traditional' Wreckers)
    *edit* and didn't Whirl and the others look down/away when Impactor did what he did? I need to re-read LSotW methinks)