Transformers #22

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by DarthCrusher, Jul 20, 2011.

1. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Holy crap, no-one else has been discussing this?

Easily the best issue of the ongoing since the Thundercracker issue (which this issue tops, IMO), and the best Transformers-related comic that IDW has produced since Last Stand of the Wreckers. James Roberts has outdone himself.

Anyone else read this yet?

2. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This book was amazing in every way. Everybody who has an opportunity to buy this book should do so.

3. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I haven't really been following the IDW stuff that much for a while now. However, I've heard some really good things about this issue, so I decided to check it out.

I'm blown away. It is, without a doubt, one of the best Transformers comics I've ever read. It's so frustrating how they can put out pure greatness such as this, and then shit out garbage like Heart of Darkness.

They seriously need to get James Roberts to do more stuff. Everything he's written thus far has been brilliant.

4. TreKain

TreKain All Will Be Well TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Holy Crap, I just finished reading it. That was some amazing writing, i am now back to being exciting as to where this story is going.

5. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I want to marry James Roberts and have his children.

Loved the little nod to Bullets.

6. cgibsonREX

cgibsonREX Knight of Cybertron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    It clashes with Spotlight Blurr, but other than that IT'S AWESOME!!!

7. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

Definitely the best issue of ongoing so far. Blows every single other issue of the ongoing away. I also agree that it's the best IDW comic since LSOTW. Almost redeems the ongoing. The whole first year of ongoing is still pretty pathetic though. But this issue, was just pure awesome!! Roberts is great and I really hope he writes a lot more for the TF comics. We need more writters like him and Roche, and less writters like Costa and the guys who did HoD.

The art was very nice too. I've always liked Milne's work, even in the Megatron Origin. He did an awesome job on this issue. The covers were great too, in fact I liked both so much that I bought both.

8. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How?

Even so, Roberts has a big ball of shit to go through and sort out. Or, if you want a positive spin, he's got a lot to play with, expand upon and wrap up.

I'm still wondering whos perspective we were getting the story from when Megs returned to earth. I thought it was shockwave, but the way megs is portrayed in this issue I'm less inclined to think he's being controlled.

Also anxious to see if Roberts touches on Jazz and that crap he pulled

9. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I was just saying somewhere else that, for all of the people who didn't understand or wouldn't accept why so many fans didn't like the ongoing...

...an issue like this comes along and shows you exactly what Transformers comics are capable of. We were upset that we weren't getting quality like this all along.

Shame it's short-lived. I really hope that James solo (or with Nick Roche) is one of the writers post 125.

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I liked this. Maybe a bit too heavy on the talking heads, but god, it's been forever since a TF comic was actually a good read, so I don't mind.

All the blatant Modern Earth/Cybertron parallels get a bit tiresome. From the politics to the innocent-till-proven-guilty fair-trial-and-a-phone-call routine... almost too easy.

And now finally we know the truth. It was never Twin Twist... EVERYTHING IS WHIRL'S FAULT! :lol 

zmog

11. Sparkykandy

Sparkykandy Well-Known Member

As everyone else said, this issue is pretty good. We get to see Megatron's past and have him and Optimus reminisce (sort of) about times past.

12. leadsled

leadsled the word is "Mortifying"

Absolutly Top Shelf stuff . When prime was bracing himself before he went into the cell I actually chuckled and when I finished reading I was smiling unlike hearts of darkness which made me go to the toilet .

To whom it may concern , I'd like all transformer comics in the future to be this good . Thank you.

13. cgibsonREX

cgibsonREX Knight of Cybertron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    In Spotlight Blurr, Optimus was not a Prime. And it took place after Megatron: Origins. In this issue Optimus and Megatron first meet before all that and Optimus is obviously a Prime.

14. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He had a different body. THAT IS ALL. He was not "obviously a Prime". If anything, it's an artistic error.

15. markerguru

markerguru tech master TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    just because he has a face plate doesn't make him a prime.

16. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, in that scene it doesn't seem like he's the heroic saviour of the Autobot forces. He acts more like an office clerk. (I could've read that wrong)

I have to read it again. Happy to have an issue that takes more than ten minutes to read :D 

Edit: not an office clerk. Springarm refers optimus as "captain"

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  17. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

LOVED this issue. Also dig all the small easter eggs, like Sherman's Bridge (Sherman, a name for a Cybertronian bridge, really? =P ). Loved the art, the sense of Prime's gravity, and Megatron's unyielding philosophy. I wonder what Rodimus's role will be going forward, as he clearly disapproved of Prime torturing Megatron.

A very meaty issue indeed. Looking forward to the future!

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Well, they do directly refer to him as "the Captain", so at that point Optimus seems to be a "precinct commander" in Cybertronian law enforcement. Clearly not a Prime just yet. :) 

zmog

19. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm.getting a BM Cheetor vibe from Rodimus

20. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

I love how Roberts keeps up with the newfangled "misunderstood rebel" angle for Megatron, and then reminds us a few pages later that however unfortunate his origins may be, the robot standing before us now is still a complete and total psychopathic mass murderer.

It's a great way to blend the old megalomaniac of the 80s with the touchy-feely Magneto-esque story in Megatron: Origin.

Also loved that Roberts finally acknowledges how the war has clearly sped up in the last few years, and that the Cybertronians haven't always been fighting at this insane fever pitch. I like the idea that they all just dialed back their processor clocks for a few thousand years at a time and planned for very long-term projects. Makes sense that, as functionally immortal beings, they take action at a pace dictated by their environment; if they're by themselves in the depths of space, with no short-lived humans around for reference, there's no reason to not do things slowly and very methodically, since from their perspective, they have all the time in the world.