Transformers #20 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Maverick Hunter Christian, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Admittedly, not a whole lot happens in this issue beyond set up; moving people places and so forth. Which I guess is to be expected as a lead up to a "large event" like Chaos. Still, this and the previous issue have been two of the nicest looking in the entire ongoing.

- Garnak is becoming a fast favorite member of Hot Rod's crew of misfits. I hope he sticks around for a while.
    - That said, I feel bad for Hot Rod as the only guy to realize just what a crappy situation he woke up to and trying desperately to get Garnak and Wheelie to listen to him. Thinking he died upon seeing Ironhide and Sunstreaker was pretty charming as well.
    - I wonder if anybody's ever going to be able to fully fix Wheelie's atrophied arm? Its been grayed out (which I appreciate the various colorists remembering) and had limited functionality since Spotlight: Wheelie.
    - It will be... interesting, to see how Ironhide reacts when he finally learns that Hot Rod was the one that got him killed and that Sunstreaker is the bot chiefly responsible for the shitty situation the Autobots have endured for the past 4-5 years.
    - Sunstreaker giving his pet a human name is... very curious. I wonder how/if that ties into the genocidal feelings he harbored toward humans in AHM.
    - Also curious, is the missing Autobot insignia from Sunstreaker's chest. It might just be me, but the art almost calls attention to it in a number of shots.
    - There wasn't room for it, but it would've been nice to see some reaction from Wheelie about Cybertron. This is the first time he's been home in who knows how many hundreds or thousands of years and to find Cybertron completely in ruins and abandoned... just would've been nice to get some input from the little guy.
    - Considering one of the central themes of AHM was the trauma that Sunstreaker suffered at the hands of The Machination, its interesting (to me at least) that he's the one to ask, "What in the hell happened to him?" about Wheelie.
    - Oh neat. Hot Rod transformed again! Twice in one issue!
    - Nice little art touch, as Wheelie is lining up his shot, a targeting display appears in his right optic.
    - Hot damn is it ever nice to see Galvatron drawn by a proper artist again... sweet fancy moses I can't tell you how good it is to see him in full IDW model glory again and not this barrel-chested, tiny headed, midget abomination. Thank you Guido!
    - That is... a whole lot of Sweeps! I went back to AHM #14 to see how many they started out with and it looks like Scourge initially had a flock of five. But it also seemed to me that their numbers had been diminished due to the events of Infestation. I wonder if Galvatron hasn't been converting some of his new army from Heart of Darkness or some of the Swarm into new Sweeps?
    - Sunstreaker is wearing quite the "Oh god, oh god... not there!" face as Hot Rod reveals their destination.
    - Prime looks *hot pissed* on the cover preview for next issue.

This issue was a really nice payoff for last year's Ironhide mini-series. At the time, I'd been left wondering if we were ever gonna see Sunstreaker or Ironhide again. Dialogue between them and Hot Rod makes me wonder how long ago Galvatron and crew touched down on Cybertron and how long Ironhide and Sunstreaker have been trying to avoid them...

Also have to wonder about Hot Rod's insistence on getting reinforcements? There's nothing and no one on Cybertron, why the need to throw down with Galvatron and not just leave him be? ...especially since last I checked, thus far Hot Rod shouldn't even know who Galvatron or any of his dudes are.

2. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He would know of Galvatron, he was around during the events of Revelations.

3. Maverick Hunter Christian

News Credits:
    That's right. I forgot all about that. My bad. Mining the Magnificence for information on Nemesis Prime's actions would've tipped him off to all that business. ...and somewhere along the way, I'm sure Optimus would've mentioned, "Galvatron shot and killed Nova Prime, then I hurled him into Garrus 9's Solar Pool reactor."

4. Star Saber

Star Saber Primus Hates You!

News Credits:
    I don't know if this is just an editing error, or maybe a Hasbro edict, but Sunstreaker refers to Hot Rod as Rodimus when he was dead already by the time Hot Rod went all ego and got around to calling himself that. Kind of annoying to me, seeing as how the latest story has Hot Rod going around and basically trying to redeem himself. That's one of the things he should not be called.

5. Grimlock King

Grimlock King GRRRrrr me hate titles

Ebay:
    I never really followed the old Marvel, Dreamwave comics. But did watch G1 as a kid and as an adult. Hot Rod always screwed up though. Only to later redeem himself. That's his M.O., right? What I didn't like is how Hot Rod was made a coward/quiter on the earlier issues of the on going series.

I picked up #20 yesterday. I'm excited as to what's to come. I didn't really spot all those details and now I'm gonna go back and look at them. In IDW's world, how does Galvatron and Megatron co exist? Sorry if this sounds like a newbie question, I've only followed up with IDW's Transformers on certain issues.

6. Maverick Hunter Christian

News Credits:
    Its ...tough. If Hasbro weren't still trying to sell toys in his likeness, I'd simply call it an editing error since Sunstreaker wasn't around when Hot Rod started calling himself Rodimus. But since its likely coming down from on high that the character *HAS* to be called Rodimus and the reasoning he switched his name at all was really really tenuous, its probably easier at this point just to avoid calling it out in the story anymore and roll with it.

Still Hot Rod to me, though.

They're separate characters with (so far) no relation. The back story of IDW G1 is a great deal different than old Marvel or cartoon. Way back when, before the civil war started, Galvatron was a part of the crew of the original Ark along with Nova Prime, Jhiaxus, Cyclonus, Straxus, Grindcore, Scourge and others. Their craft disappeared when it plunged into an anomaly called the Benzuli Expanse.

At present, Galvatron is in possession of an artifact called the Heart of Darkness (previously just 'The Darkness') from the alternate dimension they wound up in. The exact nature of the Heart of Darkness is still being fleshed out but it has Matrix-like properties and can be used to generate energy projectiles. Basically, its a Macguffin.

7. Star Saber

News Credits:

Could be a lead-up to a Anti-Matrix/ Dead Matrix storyline :) 

8. Grimlock King

Grimlock King GRRRrrr me hate titles

Ebay:
    :jawdropper:  Any trades or issues you recommend as a back story to what's already out? I'm actually interested in the original Ark storyline which Galvatron belongs in.

:jawdropper: :jawdropper:  There hasn't been any story on this yet, right? It's only been mentioned in a line or two in the comics, so I've heard.

9. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Some issues which contain back stories include:
    Spotlight : Optimus Prime
    Spotlight : Galvatron
    Spotlight : Cyclonus
    Spotlight : Sideswipe
    Transformers - Devastation mini-series

I think mostly they've been dealt in non-IDW continuities - mostly Botcon related storylines

10. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I enjoyed Wheelies little snarky attitude.

"Bob" :lol 

I really enjoy that they've brought these four Autobots together. Definitely going to be interesting when the other Autobots find out they're still alive

11. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

I gotta say, yet another decent issue. So far I'm liking what's happening. It'll be interesting to see how this all turns out. Still not getting my hopes up too high though. But we'll see.

I do believe it's already been called the "anti-matrix" in some issues.

12. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

some great points Maverick. I especially enjoyed your thoughts on Ironhide finding out about the past, which Sunstreaker made sure Hot Rod avoided disclosing, and on "Bob." I hope both of those things are elaborated on too.

For an issue that sets things up, it was nicely fleshed out and had great pacing. I especially enjoyed the reuniting of all these characters, and the somewhat comic moments as well.

Also, the art is gorgeous. Definitely digging the more human faces showing great emotion. Reminds me of an old Marvel issue I had back in the day with Prowl and Bludgeon on the cover... my only Marvel issue ever. The colors are great, and Lafuente should be praised as well. Not sure if I like this run of Guidi's work more or less than his AHM.

Hopefully the Matrix gives Prime some balls back. =)

13. PaladinVance

PaladinVance Watch your step. TFW2005 Supporter

just picked mine up today, only thing that really bugged me was Sunstreaker calling Hot Rod, "Rodimus" wasn't it Swindle who coined that during the on-going? (at least for this continuity) Meaning Sunstreaker was just a head on Cybertron at the time, and Ironhide wouldn't know either, he wasn't doing much better. minor quip I guess

14. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Bob! I bought the comic just for that panel, you can ask 2 members of this forum were there when I did.

15. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

I predict weapons being locked on Sunstreaker when they arrive on Earth (since it is common knowledge that he was the insider) while Ironhide will be at a loss for words

16. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I'm REALLY looking to the fallout with sunstreaker, and I'm hoping he isn't completely "cured" of his animus toward humans. He seems sorry for betraying the Autobots, but not apologetic in his attitude toward humans. In fact, they will probably be more intensified once he gets to earth and sees the situation. And I don't mean that Jersey Shore dude's stomach, altho he'd be upset about that too...

17. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Agreed about Garnak. For a minor character who has only appeared in two issues, he's suprisingly well characterized. Much more so than some of the Autobots who have been there from the beginning of the ongoing.

I feel sorry for Wheelie...everyone instantly recognizes him, suggesting that he was fairly well-known back then, yet no one ever bothered to go look for him? Poor guy.

Ooooohhhh, *that's* what was unusual about Sunstreaker. I kept noticing the giant expanse of yellow on his chest, but I couldn't place what was so distracting about it. Knowing IDW, it was probably just an editorial oversight (same thing with Sunny calling HR Rodimus). It was a nice touch that Wheelie's insignia was all scratched and battered.

AMEN x100000000! Guido's Galvatron looks like the most beautiful freakin' Transformer who ever lived, after looking at that horrible thing our eyeballs have been tortured with for months. It's amazing the difference a good artist can make. I don't even *like* Galvatron, but I was drooling over that gorgeous shot of him because it was such a sight for sore eyes.

Overall, this was a good issue. I've really enjoyed the last few issues of the ongoing, and I like where the story is going. I wish it could have had this level of writing and art quality from the beginning.

18. leadsled

leadsled the word is "Mortifying"

As above I totally agree ,best shot of galvatron is in this issue since his spotlight hands down .

19. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Guido's shot of Galvatron in that panel defined the term "boss". It was impressive.

The issue itself was a great read. I really loved the reunion part, and Ironhide's "Hey kid, you know this guy?" after Garnak's shots. :lol  Then there's Bob. :D 

All in all it was a pleasure to read and has me excited for "Chaos"

BTW:

Is it just me or if Hot Rod starting to look more and more like Excellion (who in turn was a homage to Hot Rod)

Also, for some reason, I really like when the Scourge and the Sweeps staches and goatee are color in white. For some reason I find it visually appealing.

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'm mostly enjoying being away from Earth. What with MECH in TF: Prime, NEST in BayFormers and all the human dross in the earlier ongoing issues, it's so nice to be away from humans either ordering TF around, blowing them up or being after their technology. It's one of the most boring story aspects TF gets lumbered with over and over.