Transformers 2 Writers Confirmed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by assimilator, Oct 4, 2007.

1. avc-prime

avc-prime Well-Known Member

well if he sucks we are not losing a great story now are we? This sums up the first movie: transforming robots fighting explosion, bad guys lose, put the camera on that chick, the end.

2. Conceptron

Conceptron Banned

Oh dear, Bay back....Orci and co. back....a guy who wrote the RING (REMAKE) in.....Transformers is DOOMED, I pity the (fake) fans who still support this pathetic Bayformer franchise.

3. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Just when you thought it was safe to venture into Movie Dicussion again...

4. hordeprime

hordeprime In Spite of the System

Not too happy about this, actually.

The first film relied on (a) cool factor, (b) cool factor, and (c) cool factor. So yeah, the first film was fun and exciting and jaw-dropping and COOL, BUT... this is the perfect opportunity to throw extra resources to some quality writer(s) who can handle a genuinely satisfying script, not just some "okay" vehicle for "cool."

I'm sorry, but "Brothers Grimm" was garbage.

Just like "The Ring 2" was garbage.

"The Ring" was good, but guess what -- It was based on another movie.

5. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Did you just. . .?

Are you seri. . .?

How can you. . .?

OK, I'm no mod, but I'm sure I don't just speak for myself when I say no. *SMACKS WITH NEWSPAPER ON NOSE* Bad Conceptron. Bad, bad, BAD Conceptron.

In all seriousness, having been a Transformers fan since before the original cartoon began, I can honestly say I really enjoyed the current film, and look forward to the others. I still consider myself a fan.

6. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very glad to hear the writers are staying on board-- that means no abrupt change in direction or dialogue for the second movie, likely.

7. rabbit prime

rabbit prime Well-Known Member

oh dear god, are people actually bitchin about a movie that is barely in production already? i remember that when tf was in production , all the way to release and still now, people bitched at how michael bay ruined their child hood. and if you saw the movie you were a fake tf fan...so i guess were all fake tf fans cause we all saw it. now you guys are gonna complain about a movie that proly has'nt gone past concept sketches? dear god...if you guys hav'nt noticed the trend in hollywood lately...the sequil is on average 5 times better than the first one. spidey? fine, s2? better, s3 even better but with holes. so chill out , be grateful we even get a live movie and not another beast machines series. if you remember, there was not but 3 people who like the new tf animated. not at least 75 % wana at least see it if there not already fans...so calm down and be patient , all will be one soon.

8. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why do you gotta be a fake fan if you liked Bayformers? It's Transformers too.

People have a right to be worried. While the movie was enjoyable, it did have glaring weaknesses. Since the same people have returned, so do the same SHORTCOMMINGS. At least with the new writers, there would have been a new direction. Does Bay learn from his mistakes? Not if it made him $700 million! That haul just justified every change and alteration he's made on the robots to be the right choice.

-Shakey camera, since it worked so well the first time, it will return.

-Worthless humans eating up valuable TF time (the hackers, Simmons, Miles), since they worked so well the first time, they will return.

-Tasteless bodily fluid jokes, since they worked so well the first time, they will be back too.

-Silent multi-million dollar Decepticon redshirts with $40 action figures for humans to blow-up, since it worked so well the first time, there will be more Decepticon cannon fodder.

-More Transformers who are basically selected by picking a name out of a hat and slapping it on an unnamed Bayformer. Hey, it worked so well with Ironhide...put any name on any vehicle.

Will Orci and Kurtzmann and the new writer "who's a fan" (we've heard this a million times before) learn from their mistakes? Do they even consider their mistakes to be mistakes or weaknesses?

That's what we worry about.

9. Lord Moke

Lord Moke Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Ah, crap. The writers were the ones I least wanted back. I was so happy to read that they said they were doing Star Trek instead... now it looks as though I'll be sitting through another script lacking character development and dignity. Don't get me wrong, I loved the first movie, but the writers were easily the weakest part.

10. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Well the ONE positive thing about TF2 is that there should be, in theory, robot action from start to finish since all the Autobots are already here & established. No long winded introductions or build-ups... assuming of course that they don't keep Megatron frozen at the bottom of the ocean until the last half hour again. And unlike the cartoons, when new characters show up, we'll know how & why they got there.

For as many problems as I still have with the movie, I have watched it about 12 more times since getting an advanced copy of the DVD a couple weeks ago and still am not sick of it. The one thing that Bay *does* have going for him is that his movies are rewatchable, regardless of how bad they might be overall. Truth be told, Bad Boys is a pretty awful flick by a lot of standards, but I've seen it easily 25+ times. Same thing with The Rock. And really, that's what TF is - a hybrid of all Bay's "bad" qualities wrapped into a package that finally works: lowbrow comedy & dialogue, tons of action & explosions, bullshit hero moments, car chases, military propaganda, etc. The only difference this time is that all the cars & military vehicles now also turn into robots to take the action to another level. When it comes to the Joe Sixpack demographic, that was probably like a wet dream come true.

The other saving grace is that the script really could not get any worse than the first movie, so I'm not going to bash it in advance. If they managed to make that first pile of shit work, they'll be fine for TF2, even with the addition of this new hack on writing duties. I'm more worried about how they bastardize more characters & names in terms of design than anything else.

The one thing I am *anxious* about is to see if they decide to revamp the Autobot designs at all. For as easy at it could be to keep them as they are, something tells me Hasbro will want them to get slightly tweaked designs so that they have a reason to sell more Prime, BB, Ratchet & Ironhide toys. Re-releasing all the molds that they already did for the first movie would be marketing suicide. Add to that, GM will probably want to pimp out some more concept vehicles on established characters.

11. Night Flame

I don't understand why so many people believe this. I'm willing to bet large chunks of change that there will not be robot action from start to finish. I'm betting on about 50/50 screen time between humans and robots. There will be more human time than what most fans want. Yes, the introductions are over, but this is a human based movie franchise. The Transformers are secondary, background characters, that for brief moments here and there take over for big action.

I'm not super happy about that or anything, but believing anything other than that is bound to leave a lot of people very, VERY angry when TF2 comes out and it's not TRANSFORMERS TRANSFORMERS TRANSFORMERS from opening credits to the end.

12. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20070817.html

13. wal2.0

wal2.0 Banned

Orci and Kurtzman are back? I could have had better news.

But here's hoping they do better this next time. After watching MI3, I KNOW they can do better.

14. protostar8

protostar8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Your first statement is correct. Bay knows jack about TF's. The Ring movies weren't that good. I honestly read the stuff on the main page and thought that it was a mistake. The bros. grimm wasn't really that good either but it was better than the Ring movies which were just elaborate chain letters.

I honestly wish that the whole directing and writing staffs had been fired and that they would bring in new people who might actually know about TF's. Hell, the actors seemed to know more about the TF's than the director.

Some of my friends saw the movie and liked it simply b/c it was TF's and had "awesome CG" but didn't really care about the designs, they just wanted to see the movie b/c it was TF's and they grew up with TF's. I've also talked to a lot of people who thought the movie was really weak and that the eye candy of high quality CG (even applied to bad designs), can make things look good and attract crowds. Just because a movie does really well doesn't make it a good movie, it makes it good at getting people to come to watch it.

15. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    1. That's why I said "in theory" :) 

2. Based on the first movie, you are right. But one would assume that a second movie called "Transformers" where THE main draw is Transformers and the entire toyline is based on Transformers, then the sequel will assumably be more about, you know, Transformers. Even if it is a 50/50 split of humans & robots, that'll still be a hell of a lot better ratio than the first movie.

3. Fans will be enraged no matter what happens. And just like what happened before, everyone who supposedly hates everything to do with it will be championing it once the first teaser trailer surfaces.

16. Night Flame

Oh, I don't know. There's still a pretty sizable bunch who declare every tidbit of news about the first movie being recognized or being released on DVD as some sort of personal slight agains them and the "real fans." Heck, some people have just flat out left the fandom because they were so disgusted with the concepts presented by the new movie franchise. And my guess is over the next few years there will be even more who will drop away in anger and disgust.

It's kind of sad in a way. This is the biggest thing to ever happen to Transformers. And while I don't agree with every decision made regarding the movie, I enjoyed watching it enough to go to it in the theater ten times and still look forward to seeing it again. Yet, somewhere out there, there are a lot of people really, REALLY angry about it. Angry enough to give up on Transformers altogether. Some of them have been with the brand since 1984, just like me. And most of it seems to be about pre-conceptions they couldn't shake.

I went through one of the first "Starscream Concept" threads to pop up here a few days ago and was amazed at the number of people saying clear back then that the entire movie was a failure based on one concept image. Here we are, it's no failure. And the anger some feel about that is so great that they can't overcome it.

It's just very confusing sometimes. Would I have liked a movie that was more Transformers focused, and developed better characters for the 'bots? Absolutely. But I don't understand the hatred of the movie we got. It's fun to watch. And some people who've loved Transformers for a long, long time will never get to see that.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My theory is that yes, it won't be TF action from beginning to end, but the difference this time around will be the acknowledgement of their existance, so what I am getting at, is that instead of one-liners from Prime and Megs, we will have more personal interaction between the bots, including the decepitcons (not just one "You dissapoint me yet again Starscream"). This time humans will interact with Prime and the gang more than just shouting orders and arguing. I don't mean Tea Time with Prime, but a bit more personality than we had now.

I just watched the movie again this morning before I went to work, and watching it on the small screen, and still getting very sucked in to it, I loved it even more. I don't mind the human interaction because at least it's amusing, especially Simmons (for some reason his antics crack me up). But all I want is a bit more of the "We're we any different," and the "Your Dissapoint me yet again Starscream" type interaction between the bots... oh and definitely.... defnitely "more shit talking coming from the cons when fighting the bots.

18. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    So no chance of Mikaela in a skimpy top and daisy dukes playing basketball with Prime then? :D 

-airfox

19. Night Flame

*WOOP*WOOP*WOOP* GEEK CORRECTION ALERT IN PROGRESS *WOOP*WOOP*WOOP*

The line is, "You have failed me yet again Starscream. Get them!"

And I do hope we get at least one casual conversation amongst the bots. And any interaction amongst the cons would be great too.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Curse me for not being geeky enough!! :D 

As for seeing Mikayla in a skimpy outfit, hangin out with Prime. I think what we'll get is a winter scene where they will be playing with snow balls and Jazz will say "That's S-Now Fair"

Oh wait, Jazz is dead.