"Transformers 2": bombing Shanghai, an insult to China?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Grifter Prime, Jun 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grifter Prime

Grifter Prime Ancient fan and 3P graphic designer and researcher

News Credits:
    Saw this in the news and thought it was funny, still news but funny!!

"Transformers 2": bombing Shanghai, an insult to China? - People's Daily Online

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen", which has an investment of 200 million USD, is on open. This science fiction movie talks about an imaginary story. But every movie can't avoid containing some elements from reality.

Although this move was not shot in China, some scenes in it contain an element of Chinese style.

In one of the film stills previously released, people can clearly see some Chinese characters on a sign in front of a large deserted factory and a police car with Chinese characters parked outside a wire fence. The newly released preview of "Transformers 2" includes Shanghai Steel Factory, antique furniture and a damaged viaduct at Huaihai Road.

In addition, there is a shot in the movie of Shanghai being bombed.

Transformers make comeback

Cons:

Some Chinese netizens are not happy about this movie because Shanghai appears to be very shabby in the movie which they think is not a real representation of the city.

Moreover, they think bombing Shanghai is an insult to China. They think the movie intentionally tries to uglify China. It is understood that publisher may cut these scenes from the Chinese edition out of consideration for box office receipts.

Some people comment that it is still unbearable for the publisher to only promise to cut these scenes in China. If the "shabby Shanghai" in "Transformers 2" is widely seen by people all over the world, this will mean an even bigger insult to us. Therefore, those people are requiring that those scenes are not shown anywhere in the world.

Pros:

Aren't some Chinese overreacting to this science fiction movie? They cannot even stand an old house! Aren't they being too sensitive?

Shanghai is the top city in China. But as with many other cities, there must be some shabby places somewhere in the city. Just like there are small rugged alleys under grand viaducts.

Is it only by shooting prosperous areas and ignoring shabby places, that we can not call it an insult to China?

The rational reaction should be to face the unsatisfactory reality and try our best to reform and construct out cities. Forbidding others to talk about our deficiencies and pretending to be perfect while we are not is only fooling ourselves.

??? contributes to this story

2. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    old news.

3. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    i could see it as an insult if a decepticon did donuts in tianiammen square and shot the mao picture up or something like that....the chinese need to just freaking chill and STFU....

4. pmoverlord-1972

pmoverlord-1972 the enforcer of all

it reminds me of detla force at that part

5. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

I thought nothing of it untill I read this article

now I think china is stupid

6. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

When the Chinese news reporters are allowed to utter the words "Tianamen Square", then I'll give a damn what the Chinese think.

7. PorkChopKB

PorkChopKB Bay Harbor Butcher

News Credits:
    did saying that make you feel better? I hate that shit. are you doing it to boost your post count?

this movie is stirring up more shit about racism, and offensive material than "gran torino" (which was a great movie) people need to get a life and grow tougher skin. damn, enough already

8. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

It's not that it's old news, it's that no one searches to see if the topic exists already. Which I'm pretty sure there's already a couple threads on this topic here already.

There's a lot of double/triple threading going on lately. It's becoming hard to remember, "which of these identical 5 threads was I reading and posting in?"

9. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    maaaaaaaaaaaan people are takin this movie WAY too freaking seriously.

10. PorkChopKB

PorkChopKB Bay Harbor Butcher

News Credits:
    I understand about the multiple threads.. but instead of the old news post just post a link.. or something.

11. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    This has already been discussed in the movie forum with a dedicated thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.