Transformers #19 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, May 17, 2011.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
  2. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    That art is amazing! I'm looking forward to picking this issue up!
    Y'all can keep yer DOTM toys, gimme a Hot Rod 'n' Wheelie story any day.

3. eTalking

eTalking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Return of Chaosteros! Excellent.

4. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Weird, the faces went from 100% robotic to the 80's "human" looking 'bots now. WTF?

5. IaconStargazer

IaconStargazer Maximal

Sounds like a cool story. Nice to see that we've now got a bit of a timeframe for when Spotlight: Wheelie took place, too.

And the chaosteros looks even crazier in this issue!

6. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    That's not the only return either.
    A race from Spotlight: Blaster also makes an appearance.

7. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why do people get so freaked out by different art? Pretty much every on-going comic series ever has had different artist and art styles throughout, even the original Marvel run of Transformers.

Not bashing, just trying to understand. Is it because this series is pulling in TF fans that don't normally read comics?

8. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    No I think it's because the characters in this book are robots. Unlike humans popping into a new costume, they've got TF's changing size, alt form and mass on a regular basis with no explanation whatsoever.

Changing the style is fine, changing the fundamental design concepts on a whim is something else. I wish they'd pick a character model and stick with it, and make mad upgrades (Megatron) or changes (Perceptor) logical and serving a purpose.

Looks like a good issue, just have the long wait until it hits iTunes now...

9. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

So,
    the matrix is acting like a life support system and is keeping Hot Rod alive. It's nice to see that it actually has some useful powers, and *maybe* some sentience (if it chose to keep Rod alive and didn't just do it automatically...?).

Looks like this might be a decent issue. I'm getting vibes of the season 3 cartoon, which (to me) is a good thing. :) 

10. AngryChad

News Credits:
    You and me both. I'm sticking with digital versions for now and hopefully buying them again in hard cover in the IDW Collection series.

11. normtrooper

normtrooper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry I am a bit behind the times, what are the advantages to a digital comic, price?

This issue looks very promising Ive enjoyed just about every issue idw's put out the last few years!

also this is the first time I've found the comics section on the boards why is it so far down!

12. AngryChad

News Credits:
    Digital versions are half the price and none of the clutter. I'd prefer $1 an issue, but $2 isn't horrible.

13. normtrooper

normtrooper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's what I figured, idk i've got every issue over the last like 5yrs starting with the beast wars run and the other modern stuff it would feel weird to not get a physical comic to read, but I suppose that's a decent price...I was shocked the other day when I realized that these are 4 bux a piece I never paid attention!

14. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    I'd be more tempted to get digital, given I get all the TPBs, except half my reason for buying the comics themselves is to support the local comic shop.

I like giving them my sales.

15. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    So, IDW does digital distribution through iTunes? (I only check in here sporadically) Interesting... Wonder how full their iCatalog is.. And are they very portable after purchase, like in a .PDF format, or are they only useable in iTunes, or on the PC you bought it on?

16. AngryChad

News Credits:
    I think they've got pretty much everything on there now (at least for the G1 Transformers stuff. I don't follow anything else). Releases of ongoing are about a month behind comic shops. You have to purchase and view them through an app, and then you can view them on any iDevice you own. I've restored my purchases several times now, and never had an issue.

They're lagging a bit more than usual on the Heart of Darkness stuff though, not sure why. Only issue #1 so far.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  17. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Thanks. That seals it for me, my iTouch died, and I'm sold on Android now, doubt I'll ever look back. Oh well.

18. AngryChad

News Credits:
  19. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One things for certain, Mattel is most likely going to sue for the blatant "Whiplash" infringement.

20. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    I used to do the same, but the price is what made me switch in the end - I can read a TF comic in 5 minutes, so for £3.50 it's not even close to worth it. That and I was running out of space for the comics themselves, and I don't really like the comic format anyway because it's a bitch to keep organised.

I was picking up the TPB's, but to be honest I haven't really thought ongoing was good enough to justify buying the books. I buy digitally to keep up with what's going on, but I wouldn't say anything in the current ongoing run has been either memorable or worth re-reading. Hell, it makes All Hail Megatron look epic :( 

I really hope Furman gets the Marvel-era reboot off the ground. Comparing dross like Heart of Darkness to Target 2006 or Wrath of Guardian/Grimlock is borderline depressing.