Transformers #10 Preview and review thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by tusko, Aug 11, 2010.

1. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
  2. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not specifically about the comic, but the ongoing itself:

I think I may have figured out where Costa plans to take the Ongoing provided he gets his run. He wants to get off Earth and/or back to Cybertron. The Ironhide mini seems only to serve to make Cybertron reinhabitable, while the relations with humans on Earth aren't that great though the Autobots are trying. Issue #8 has established a breaking point in this relationship that might leave Bumblebee(since he's the current leader) making the decision to have the TF's leave Earth. We also seem to be moving away from Earth in the next arc. While this thoery doesn't mean he gets off scott free with what we've gotten so far, it'll be interesting to see if this pans out & what can be done with Earth out of the equation.

On topic for the comic:
    poor Broadside, guy gets no love

3. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

Definitely a MUCH better issue than the last 3. I'm sure hoping Optimus ends up taking back the leadership though. It's just weird imagining Optimus taking orders from Bumblebee.

I gotta say though. Guido's art is almost bothering me a little more than Don's for the first 6 issues. It seems very inconsistent within the single issue. It's like one page is extremely simplistic, old skool, and out-dated looking. then the next page is all modern and nice looking. Also some of the designs are fairly modern looking while others, like Jetfire, are VERY out-dated looking.

4. KAGE

KAGE aka: GibsonKAGE

News Credits:
    Yeah, I enjoyed this issue as well. I hope this is the new style they decide to stick with. A nice blend of EJ Su and Don's designs working nice together, Prime still looks much like Don's Prime but is still different from before. And I agree with Jetfire, he needs his Earth mode back or put him back into his "classics toy" design.

Other than that, can't wait for issue 11!

5. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was good. Action heated up. Broadside showing up (with an Elite guard symbol,no less) was awesome.

But agree, I don't get why Jetfire is now sporting his cybertronian/G1 cartoon look. I actually would like to see Don's design combined with Guido's artwork much like we see with BB and TC in the last few pages. Hell, we never even saw Don's alt mode design for Jetfire (at least in the story) or Hot Rod in alt mode.

Side note, I loved Vortex's swords :) 

6. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    first 5 pages was dull, though the humans are drawn well. then the autobots showed up and everything heated up. yeay. O.O i like optimus and cliffjumpers design. spoiler... smokescreen with guns strapped on was awesome, and yeay, its broadside!

7. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm hoping to pick this one up today, but I was just wondering do Smokescreen and Broadside appear in their robot modes or just vehicle modes?

8. G1Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Yes, you see both in robot mode in one panel or another

9. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

I liked it, a definite step up for the series, but I'd like to see more improvements. I like where they're going on the last page and the cover for next month looks promising.

10. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I wonder why Broadside has the
    Cybertron Elite Guard
    symbol. Hope Guido (or whomever does the photoshopping of the logos) didn't get confused. He's a Wrecker, not an
    Elite Guard member

11. Grimlock1991

Grimlock1991 Well-Known Member

This issue was good but one question...

In the recent issue the soldiers are now using Incedinary Rounds which they claim is a weakness? Why are they taking shit like that from the movies and putting in the comics? Its stupid.....

So the Military can hurt the Combaticons but the Combaticons can raid an Autobot base on Garrus 9 and dominate Superior beings with superior weapons? Thats dumb...

12. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Just read it...better, but still not really that good, overall.

I'm still not "feeling" Onslaught's dialogue, nor do I find his characterization to work very well. He's supposedly a master strategist and he's fumbling for a plan in the absence of Swindle? I'm starting to think it isn't just me liking the character in general, but that it's at odds with any prior representation of him in any continuity. It's like suddenly reading Reed Richards lamenting that Ben isn't around to advise him about dimensional physics.

I'm also not sure how "disguising" the Autobots as race cars and trucks covered with blasters is supposed to work. Only a moron wouldn't guess that they are alien robots in disguise. SMOG noted that Costa's writing seems to keep tossing out ideas that do not seem to be thought out very well and lacking in logic but get hand-waved off. This is okay once every so, but now it's almost constant.

First, the POTUS makes a unilateral policy decision totally at odds with what Skywatch is and has been doing (He doesn't get briefings? He doesn't know!?), then we're immediately asked to buy these paper thin obfuscations? It doesn't work that way when the presence of alien robots is a specific and important plot element.

The art is not getting any more consistent and is starting to really annoy me. Pick some designs and stick with them. Again, it's not interpretations that I have a problem with, it's designs in general. What the hell body does Bumblebee have now? How about Jetfire? Who knows?

So. Thundercracker's going the cliche' route? Meh. I preferred the more complex characterization that was being hinted at, but I'm not surprised.

- Coeloptera

13. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Agreed - Onslaught is poorly characterised. Here, he's just another bumbling Decepticon, not the military commander and strategist he is usually depicted as.

I assume Hasbro wants to homogenise the brand to reflect the movies since they're a big deal for the franchise.

14. G1Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm glad for the homage but it's misplaced. Plus I thought Broadside would have left with the mention of "Springer's people" taking a shuttle in last issue.

15. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro needs to give this license to someone who understands Transformers. Onslaught is poorly written like many of the Transformers in IDW.

16. KAGE

KAGE aka: GibsonKAGE

News Credits:
    Yeah I don't think it was meant to be a
    Cybertron Elite Guard
    symbol. He's an aircraft carrier so, I looked at it that way, but I knew someone would bring in the
    Cybertron Elite Guard
    just cause it had wings.

I think this is the issue when the are is suppose to become more consistent towards their new "house style". I like these designs, haven't had a hard-on like this sense E.J. was on the -ation books! Hope they won't change the looks again once we go into the 3rd act, but would not be surprised.

I think it's less of Hasbro and more of IDW just doing what they want to do so long as the books sells. Thats what Hasbro cares about. Giving the license to someone else wont help much, chances are it may hurt it more than anything. They could wind up with "Disney's Marvel" LOL! The same people (artist and writers) will mose likely still work on the book they would just have a different "editor".

17. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Maybe it's a hint of things to come. Springer could have disbanded the Wreckers after Garrus-9 and start a new team, the Elite Guard.

18. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    Personally I could have done a backflip through sheer joy when I saw the classic designs back in use, I certainly prefer them to Don's most recent efforts.

That said, you can update classic characters - Sunstreaker looks great in his Classics guise, as does Prowl. Maybe if we can modernise and keep the feel (which I think Don's art failed to do) then that would be the best outcome.

19. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

my fav art has been guidi + his colorist in All hail megatron which looked really gritty, as well as casey coller and his colorist as seen in ironhide and the blurr spotlight. the art nowadays seems to be slightly more saturday morning cartoonish, especially when you've got combaticons sitting around getting drunk off energon (ok, not quite drunk, but almost). however, I do like the designs, and the last page of 'bee talking to thundercracker was pretty damn sweet.

as for the story, I'd agree it's better as well. cliffjumper complaining about bumblebee's absence in battle gave me a chuckle. However, prime couldn't see BEFORE they went into battle that they'd get smashed up by the combaticons?

20. Guido

Guido Predacon Pretender

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Believe it or not, but actually that symbol it's a Lego homage. LEGO 4005-1: Tug Boat | Brickset: LEGO set guide and database

• Like Like x 1