Transformers #0 Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by JoshBot, Oct 19, 2005.

1. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

Since I'm guessing/hoping all of you are running out to buy this today, I figured I'd start a thread for reviews.

Anyway, just finished it and it's definitely...ok. The art's ok, the dialogue's ok, the plot's ok, the whole thing is...well, ok. It's not bad, really, just very middle of the road. The problem, for me at least, is that it feels more like half of the first issue of the on-going series rather than a stand-alone preview issue. If you're gonna do a preview issue, you should really wow your audience, and this was more of a "huh, that's kinda neat". Still, I've got my fingers crossed for the on-going.

2. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I liked it because it was Transformers. That's about it.
    :( 

3. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

No desire to waste my money on it yay!

If I hear it's actually decent, unlike the DW books, I may look into trades at a later date.

4. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Too much whiney humans, not enough Robots! Also I found it odd that on the big 2-page spread where Thundercracker swoops down on the kids, he was colored more like Starscream, then switched to blue in the rest of the comic...

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Story was okay for me... Art could use a little help... But I did like the fact that the TFs are updated versions of G1...

My local comic shop didn't have the big cover one though...

6. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got all four covers. Not to bad. It is just a preview issue so far. Nothing uber exciting and plot is ok. I'll give it time.

7. XFactor

XFactor Member

Do you have money to burn? Do you really need four covers of the same issue? This isn't flamebait - an honest question!

8. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I bought all the covers... I appreciate art and unfortunately they don't sell one issue that contains all the covers... Otherwise I'd buy that one... But at $.99 an issue, I don't have any problems with buying all the covers...

9. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I thought it was decent. I will follow it, Furman rarely lets me down. I like that thundercracker is getting some play :thumbs2: 

10. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

very much agreed! If that trend can continue good times ahead.

11. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Wasn't absolutely mind-blowing, but I think this is just a little hint of good things to come, I hope.

Can't wait to see the whole cast revealed (some you can figure out from the shadow list behind the cover page).

EDIT: I did enjoy the last lines spoken by Ratchet though.;) 

12. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No offense back at ya, but all four covers cost $4. 4 lousy dollars. Hardly "burning" money.

13. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I thouroughly enjoyed it. Worth all 99 pennies I put down for it (Actually I got a 20 percent discount of it so like 80 pennies I put down for it muwahahah!)

14. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

It was good. Not great, not bad. The people getting played way to much and not many TFs. Was nice to see a new Runamuck. I was also wondering why Prowl looked more Alternator than original. Updated is good.

However one word of advice for IDW from those with poorer than average eyesight. DO NOT POST PURPLE TEXT ON PURPLE BUBBLES!

15. Brandon Lee

Brandon Lee JiaoAdorable

It's too early to say in my opinion. I liked the dialog. The artwork wasn't anything spectacular. I agree with whoever said this didn't feel like a solid preview. Hopefully they have interesting plans for it. We'll see.

16. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I loved it. It's nothing special or amazing, but just something about it made me adore it.

Loved the two page spread of Thundercracker. :thumbs2: 

17. Frequency

Frequency Formerly Berserker Prime

It was really, really mediocre.

I think that what got to me was this: Transformers comic, several pages long, only 4 transformers in it, pretty much all within the last few pages. Zero robot modes shown(no, I don't count the silhouette). I mean... seriously, what? We've had 20+ years of these characters... there's no suspense in holding off them turning into robots... especially if the only thing you've changed about them is the vehicle mode. Also, there was something really juvenile about the human dialogue. It wasn't quite a kids show, but definitely not up there with Furman's usual stuff.

... and while blacking out the rest of the character's faces was cool, we already know who they are anyway.

Anyway, it was 99 cents, so it's really easy to look past all of this for now. I'm just glad to have Transformers back.

18. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

I haven't been much of a TF comic fan (the G1 TV show was the ish for me though), so please bear with the noobish question. Was the War Within series one of the few TF comics other than the old Marvel series to actually focus on TFs rather than all the damn human drama? Seems like the Dreamwave main TF series had so much human stuff and not enough TF action going on. I only looked at a few issues and never bought any, though I loved the covers. And both the TF/GI Joe series I only bought the first few issues of because the "mystery" was just getting drawn out too long.

19. Frequency

Frequency Formerly Berserker Prime

Most of the Dreamwave stuff focused largely on the Transformers. The only exceptions really being the TF/GI Joe series(obviously) and the first G1 Mini-series that was written by Saracinni, and the first 6 or 7 issues of Armada. Other than that, there were no humans in the second G1 mini-series(war and peace) and the on-going was 80% transformers, 20% humans. Both the second mini-series and the on-going were fantastic comics(until DW went bankrupt... rassa-frassin'...). The only bad TF books were the first mini-series which focused too much on humans, the first Devil's Due TF/GI Joe book was complete and utter garbage, and Micromasters... which was really kinda all over the place and didn't make a whole lot of sense. I really recommend anything that's not those comics as Dreamwave really had some great stuff going for them.

20. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Same reaction here. The Autobot cover looked better than I remember, but the art's still just OK'ish, with a hint of anime influence.

The new robot finger/hand designs are interesting, but other than that the robot designs are still pretty simple and basic. Not as bad on some of the Marvel stuff, but definitely not Don-level.

What worries me is Furman implying in the interview that we won't be seeing a whole lot of robots being ROBOTS. He expressed a fear that the whole giant robots stomping through cities thing barely provokes any reaction from readers anymore, and he wanted to make it more of a big deal. The problem is twofold:

1.) You can "reset" continuity, but you can't reset the fans. People KNOW what Transformers are, and big ass robots beating the crap out of each other SHOULD be a given. Pretending that TF's never existed, and that modern fans are suddenly going to be OK with robots JUST being cars and planes and rarely transforming strikes me as dumb.

2.) If you take the robots out, you're left with (sing it with me): "Trans-form-ers: Hu-mans TER-RI-FIED!" Godzilla beat that dead horse into bone meal.

Still, I'll stick around and see what he does with it. The new Autobot designs are growing on me (definitely like the new Ratchet), and make me wish (again) that we had decent G1 Ironhide and Ratchet figures. And no, I don't mean crappy Tow-Line recolors.

-XCN-