Transformers—A Better Military?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by LCDR Blindside, Jun 6, 2012.

1. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    DISCLAIMER: I have never seen Battleship.

In the recent movie Battleship, the United States military did battle against an alien army. From most reports, it sucked. From previews and short clips, the main focus of the movie—the military—wasn't handled too well. Against a contrived and generic foe, their battles fought generically, and the soldiers on those ships—you guessed it, generic. The whole movie seems built on a modular, generic plot.

Now one of the greatest aspects of the Transformers movies was the military involvement. From Lennox shooting crotches and smack-talking Galloway, to military intelligence hacking into Chicago drawbridges, the military involvement seemed much better integrated and realistic. Perhaps its shunting into a secondary position allowed it to shine in small spaces.

What do you think? Did Battleship drop the ball? Is the Transformers military not so great? I'd like to hear.

2. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Transformers would benefit from less military involvement and more bot-on-bot pew-pew-pew.

3. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    The reason why Transformers is done the way it is, at least in DOTM, is because it's not as much focused on the military as a whole but rather spec ops.

Remember, Lennox is/was a Special Forces Captain, and in 2007 it wasn't just any military base that was attacked in Qatar wasn't just any Army base...it was SOCCENT Forward Operations Base, the primary hub of spec ops activity in Iraq.

SOCCENT in Qatar staffs US Navy SEALs, Army Rangers, Army Special Forces, Delta Force, Seal Team Six, Marine Special Operations, 106th SOAR...basically the who's who of US military special operations. This is hardly standard grunt stuff.

Why is this important? Well, the reason why the military "looks cool" in Transformers is because most of the guys we're seeing are spec ops guys. Spec ops guys traditionally do cool things. Compare this to the Marine Corps in Egypt in ROTF...what did they do? Just sat around in tanks and shot shit at the Fallen until the Fallen wrecked their shit with telekinesis.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh, I thought you meant the Cybertronians, because they're a TERRIBLE military. They make stupid mistakes and then got beat by a much less advanced race.

5. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    For someone with the rank "LCdr" in their name, I'd expect better. ;) 

6. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Way to crap on one of the proudest and tradition-filled services. I know plenty of Marines who would love to dispute your opinion.

You'd expect. You'd expect.

7. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Heart Like a Hand Grenade

News Credits:
    The correct abbreviation for Lieutenant Commander is LCDR. and he told me he got that rank from star trek.

The Navy, Army, Air Force, and Marines all managed to kick heavy ass many times in the movies. For example:

TF1: Air Force brought the rain several times.
    TF2: Navy had a rail gun, Air Force carpet-bombed everything, while Army and Marines sent ground troops who managed to kill whatever the Air Force could not.
    TF3: Air Force sent recon drones, followed by the V-22 offsprey planes. Navy S.E.A.L.s took out several decepticon eyes as army and marines shot tons of shit up before optimus could, Navy fleet took out the decepticon air forces with tomahawk missiles.

8. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    I got it from Star Trek.

9. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

10. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Think of it as the ultimate tribute to Data.

Worf can suck it.

11. WreckNRule426

WreckNRule426 Autobot

My take on this:

Michael Bay should have directed the Battleship movie instead of the TF series. The former gets realistic military screentime/action that makes sense and is not contrived, thus making the movie better in that aspect. The latter is rid of one of the main things preventing the actual Transformers from accomplishing stuff in terms of the story. Everybody's happy.

12. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Sigh. Way to take what I said totally out of context. I'm beginning to think that it is a trend on this board.

I did not mean in any way to put down any Marines or any other people in the armed forces. I have a number of friends who were Marines themselves in Iraq and Afghanistan and I have absolutely nothing against 'em. Glad to call 'em friends too.

I meant that completely in the context of the films. What did Lennox, who was a special forces team do? Fight the enemy in direct contact and essentially form and lead the human soldiers who will go on to fight alongside the Autobots. What did the Marines do? Just sit in tanks and bomb the crap out of the Decepticons. I don't think I can get any more specific than that. That's what makes the military "cool" in Transformers...there's more of a focus on special operations dudes, like Lennox and crew, more than the involvement of conventional armed forces.

Again, conventional forces are hardly the focus. We don't see characters as sailors on boats, or pilots in the Ospreys. Instead, we see Lennox, part of NEST, an international special operations force that fights along side the Autobots. Sure we see involvement, but again again again, conventional forces weren't the focus. They're more of the deus ex machina, or a convenient explanation for the explosions Bay seems to be fond of. Shooting weapons on a boat, or in a tank, flying troops into battle, isn't as "cool" in the context of a movie as spec ops guys doing awesome stuff, like Navy SEALs infiltrating into New York, or NEST guys dropping in on wing suits.

13. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    True for USN, not all navies. I'm in the RCN actually. :) 

Ah, well nothing wrong with that. I do enjoy my Star Trek. :) 

BTW, in case that didn't come through, I was referring to the fact that you wrote soldiers on ships. Should have said sailors, or marines I suppose.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Hell he should have done GI Joe. I know, but as you said he <3 the military.

15. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

optmius need 2 or 3 combiers teams to beat decepticons

16. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Heart Like a Hand Grenade

News Credits:
    um... wrong thread bro/sis?

back on topic, all of Bay's films try to pay some tribute to the military, especially if the government gives him some sort of support.

17. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey robots turn me on

brosis. I've added this term into my vocabulary. Thank you for your contribution to my life.

In fact, ALL NEST vehicles are Autobots who don't transform.

18. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Yeah, the idea of a Bay-directed Joe movie was always intriguing to me. And once Battleship came out, the ideas grew. :) 

19. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

Not to be confused with brosist, which is prejudiced against bros/brahs, bro/brah.

20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    In answer to your sig question, perhaps the Italian Fire Services have one or two?