Transformer Timelines and Storylines

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SamiWCP, Jan 9, 2007.

1. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

So, after finally browsing through a few of the Transformer comics, and watching a few of the cartoon episodes..I'm kinda lost. But I kinda think I got it too..Let's see;

So we have Gen-1 of course, 4 millions years ago, came to Earth, and woke up in the year 2000 something. Movie happened in 2005, so, before then. But at the same time, the story continued back on Cybertron while our Gen-1 guys were all offline..Which storyline is that?

Now, Armada is what, an alternate universe or something? And Energon is the future version of Armada?

So where does things like Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Machine Wars etc etc etc all fit in, is there some place that has all that kinda info or can anyone give me a general idea how this all works?

2. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    Beast wars starts after G1 but, via time rift, takes place before G1. This makes it both prequel and sequel.

Initially, Armada was supposed to take place in the G1-verse but I do believe that it, when produced, became a separate verse.

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I guess Wiki would be good for info like this... there are tons of TF Wiki articles.

Armada-Energon are their own thing. Same with Cybertron... maybe.

In G1, at least in the old cartoons, the autobots woke up in the 80's... TRANSFORMERS THE MOVIE is supposed to be 10 years into the future of the TV show, roughly.

BEAST WARS was originally supposed to be it's own continuity, but the writers ended up tying it into G1 after all. Beast Wars is supposed to be far, far, far into the future of Cybertron I think, long after all the G1 stuff. And then they travel back in time, so without too many spoilers, they're actually taking place before the events of G1.

The Dreamwave comic series WAR WITHIN was supposed to tell the story of what life was like on Cybertron BEFORE Optimus and his crew take their fateful trip. Oddly, I don't think there has ever been a major series dealing with the 4 million years on Cybertron between when Prime's Autobots leave, and when they wake up again. All we really know is that the Autobots lost badly, and the whole planet was under Decepticon control.

Maybe someone can correct me on that.

Those are the basics, but there's a lot of variable stuff anyway, because the Cartoon G1 is different from the Marvel Comics G1, which is different from the UK Marvel Comics G1, which is different from Dreamwave's G1, and from IDW's Infiltration G1... same characters, different events and origins and stuff.

Clear as mud? :) 

zmog

4. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Actually they awoke in 1984 not the year 2000 :) 

There was once a WIDELY spread rumour that Armada was supposed to bridge ALL the TF shows into 1 continuity. But Like GM said, it's just it's own story. And Energon is the continuation. And Cybertron/Galaxy Force would've been a continuation of Energon if Takara didn't go it's own way with the storyline and such. I say that judging from the scenes in the last episode with the Energon Mini-cons

BW is like 300 years after the end of G1 and I guess BM would be the timeline from which the Maximals and Predacons departed from.

Not sure how Machine Wars fits in

5. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Closest thing might be 1)Some of the UK stories from Marvel or 2)If you follow Dreamwave's continuity. The Micromasters mini-series is about the only DW comic I can think of that'd be showing what went on on Cybertron while the others were on earth

6. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    The question to you is, what do you follow, Comic or Cartoon? I can’t speak for the Comic but here’s what I know of the cartoon. You have G-1 that starts 4 million years ago and then starts up in the mid 1980’s. Its suppose to be “present day” I believe. The movie was a look into the future with it now being two years ago… WOW We’re old! Then season 3 takes place between 2005-2010. As for the Japanese series? Who knows. As for the American G-1 was effectively dead.
    G-2 came about with no story attached to it. Beast Wars came out and I think it took place after Optimus Prime left cybertron and they land on early say 3 million years ago. I guess at some point they come across the Autobot ship in one of the episodes.
    Beast Machines I think was a continuation of Beast Wars. I mainly followed G-1 and RID.
    In 2000 RID came about and brought Transformers back to a vehicle based toyline/show. This had nothing to do with G-1 but was decent enough. Next was Armada and at that point a lot of the fan base was hoping for a tie-in to the G-1 line but Hasbro basically said, its not going to happen and none of the new series attempt to tie-into G-1. Trying to make any kind of sense out of the overall storyline will give you a headache and maybe a nose bleed. G-1 by itself has enough holes in the continuity to keep you thinking about what happen to who… wait, I thought that guy was dead. Personally, I like to step back when people start yelling about this doesn’t fit with that storyline or whathaveyou and remember, all of this is marketing for a toyline aimed for children from 5-12 and young men from 20-35.

7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

They wake up in 1984, actually. Same year the series started. The two main versions of G1 both try to fill in the major events that happened between the crash on Earth and the awakening in 1984. That's the thing though, there are two totally different versions of G1 originally. You've got the comics from Marvel and the cartoon from Sunbow (based on the story concepts from Marvel). They start with the same basic idea and then split into totally different directions. Europe also got some extra stories in their version of the Marvel comic. The Marvel comic also continues into Generation 2. With the cartoon, you've also got another split after the third season. The US (and other Western audiences?) got a miniseries called "The Rebirth" that sorta ended the series, but Japan got three more seasons (Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory, respectively) and their own comics. More recently, it gets more confusing, with Dreamwave and IDW presenting their own G1 or semi-G1 universes and Takara's Binaltech and Kissplay lines apparently creating their own alternate G1 continuation... I know, it's a confusing mess. Pick one version and stick to it for long enough, and the others will make some sense :) 
    Exactly. And then Cybertron is supposed to be a continuation of Energon, minus a few plot holes. Oddly enough, Galaxy Force, the Japanese version of Cybertron, is not a continuation of their version of Energon. I think other people got the Beast stuff explained pretty well.

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I tried to make sense of this once, and then realized I'd rather go drinking. Bonne Chance!

9. flamepanther

Oh, some stories that haven't been mentioned yet:

Car Robots (adapted into Robots In Disguise in the US) is a separate universe.

Japan has a modified version of our Beast Wars, which they decided to make much sillier than ours. Their Beast Wars also includes two cartoons we didn't get: Beast Wars II (also called Beast Wars the 2nd) and Beast Wars NEO. There were manga versions of both stories that differed substantially from the shows. I don't know too much about them (tried watching some Beast Wars II and it wasn't very good), but that's where you get LioConvoy and Big Convoy, the lion and mammoth Primes. :) 

10. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    G1 > Movie > Season 3 > BW > BM

RiD = alternate universe

Armada > Energon > Cybertron = also an alternate universe, but fit together in their own continuity

in Japan, Cybertron wasn't meant to be related to the other 2, so it seems out of continuity

Japan had their own slightly different G1 storyline, with Headmasters following Season 3, and then Masterforce, Victory, and Zone. Followed by various obscure manga such as Battlestars. Japan also creates a Japanese storyline for BW, BW2 and BW Neo, which takes place during BW and before BM

The G1 comics are not exactly the same as the G1 cartoon, and are followed by the G2 comics.

Universe is a cross-continuity series which bridges the comics, the cartoons, and BW/BM. It is comprised of Botcon comics, TF Club comics, and various other obscure things. The IDW BW comics are probably a part of Universe. Part of Universe also takes place during the AEC trilogy, and attempts to explain that Unicron exists in both G1 and AEC because he is a multi-dimensional god.

Dreamwave and IDW create their own slightly different G1 continuities, as well as their own Armada/Energon continuity

There are other alternate universe comics, such as Hearts of Steel and the GI Joe crossovers

I think that's everything

11. flamepanther

RobotMasters OAV. IDW Beast Wars. Kissplay audio drama. You also didn't mention Rebirth. That's still a pretty clean and concise list of the most important stuff though.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    There's a whole truckload of TF continuities out there. Literally dozens of them.

G1 - Movie - Season 3

That's the original, animated show. In the US, it ends with Rebirth.

In Japan:

Fight! Super Robot Lifeform (G1 Seasons 1 and 2) - Scramble City - Movie - 2010 (G1 Season 3, sans Rebirth) - The Headmasters - Super God Masterforce - Victory - Zone - Return of Convoy - Operation Combination - Japanese G2

Headmasters on up were exclusive to Japan. Headmasters replaces Rebirth, Masterforce featured a lot of the 1988 toys and a different direction to previous Tf shows. Victory is the sequel to that, set in 2025. Zone was a one episode OVA finished up in Mangas and TV Magazine splash pages, Return of Convoy through G2 Japan were also splash pages with minimal story and mostly showing off the robots with perhaps a single block of text explaining the latest develipments. G2 Japan was explained as happening years after Return of Convoy, but no definate timeline or anything.
    There were also mangas for all the earlier shows, though they're mostly supplemental to the shows.

Beast Wars - Beast Machines - Transtech (aborted), Universe & The Wreckers??, BWX

Beast Wars is a tricky one. It relates to a G1 continuity, but which one? Comic or cartoon? Generally, it's thought to be the comics, since the Vok are thought to be descended from the Swarm from the G2 comic run. The pressence of the Nemisis on Earth contradicts this, though, since Nemisis was shown to be drifting in moon orbit in Target 2006 in the comics. At any rate, it ties into a G1.
    Beast Machines is a direct sequel, Transtech was to be a further sequel but it never got made. Universe is loosely set in a time period following Beast Machines, according to the short-lived comic, since Optimus Primal is revived to select the greatest heroes of Cybertron to fight Unicron's hordes. The Wreckers was another exclusive comic also set in this time frame. Depends on how you class these, since they are more like "what if" sidestories, especially since Universe basically takes place outside all continuity, allowing for almost any dream match.
    BWX, the Beast Wars tenth anniversary Optimus Primal and Megatron figures, are described as being the two leaders reincarnated as they fight throughout time and space following the end of Beast Machines, according to one of the fan club magazines.

PHEW! And, to make things even more complicated:

Beast Wars Japan - Beast Wars Second - Beast Wars Neo - Beast Wars Metals - Beast Wars Return

The Japanese versions of Beast Wars (Beast Wars and Beast Wars Metals) and Beast Machines (Beast Wars Return) follow more or less the same path as they did in the US, only with slight tweaks to the Japanese dub. Beast Wars Second and Neo were sidestories, set in the same continuity but following different characters. Other than one crossover in a special team up movie, they have little to do with the CGI Beast Wars shows other than the same universe.
    There was also a manga following a vastly different story. Spark-vampire Rampage, zombified Airrazor fighting Tigatron, that sort of thing.

Car Robots / Robots in Disguise are more or less the same in either country. Neither of them belong to any other continuity, they stand alone.

Armada - Energon - Cybertron

The three series form a trilogy, in spite of their origins as two different continuities in Japan. They don't fit into any other continuity despite cameos from several G1 characters, including the original Jazz, Hot Rod, Ultra Magnus and Optimus Prime in Cybertron.

Micron Legend - Super Link
    Galaxy Force

Japanese versions of the above three shows. Galaxy Force is its own series, separate to ML and SL. There is a manga that goes with Micron Legend, called Linkage, which is in continuity with the series and explains a few events that get glossed over in the series, like where Devastar (Scavenger) got his partner from.
    No connections with earlier series in Galaxy Force either, and in addition, the final episode obviously didn't show the Armada kids and Kicker.

Then we get down to the comics. This is a little complex.

American G1 was effectively the same as the UK G1, which reprinted the US stories but also added backup strips and additional stories to boot. Both series existed in continuity with GI Joe, and there were occasional crossovers between the two, including a GI Joe story explaining how Megatron upgraded into his G2 body.
    Both series end the same way, and are followed up by G2, except in the UK, G2's first issue was extensively rewritten. G2 finished with issue 12, on a cliffhanger.

Dreamwave did their own comics, with its own continuity.
    War Within Vol 1 - 2 - 3 (unfinished) - Micromasters - G1 Vol 1 - 2 - 3 (unfinished)
    War Within was set on Cybertron and told the story of the rise of Optimus Prime, then of his and Megatron's disappearance and the terror of the Fallen. Volume 3 was to tell of the return of Megatron and Prime, as well as introduce the Quintessons, but it was never finished.
    Micromasters was an in-between series, showing life on Cybertron during Oprimus' absence.
    The G1 comics started off in a theoretically post G1 cartoon pre G1 Movie setting, but rapidly diverged with the return to Cybertron which was under Shockwave's rule. His overthrow marked the end of volume 2. Volume 3 had a slow burning story involving the Quintessons and eventually Unicron, but it stopped well short of achieving its goal. Also, the first six issues of volume 3 were taken up with Sunstorm.

Dreamwave Armada - Energon
    Dreamwave's Armada and Energon followed a completely separate story from the TV shows, and featured a few good moments, including Armada Megatron facing G1 Galvatron and massive armies of Terrorcons beseiging Earth's population centres. It too was left unfinished.

IDW G1

Infiltration - Stormbringer - Escalation - Devastation (& numerous spotlight issues)
    I think that covers them all! IDW has established another new continuity, which retells the entire Transformers conflict from scratch. Escaltion is currently being published, with Devastation to follow soon. Stormbringer is set in space, the rest on Earth (except the spotlight issues, one shots focusing on characters like Sixshot and Ultra Magnus).

IDW Beast Wars
    IDW's Beast Wars, much like Beast Wars Second, takes place as an aside to the Beast Wars series. It is in the Beast Wars continuity, not the IDW G1 continuity.

Other comics
    Devil's Due GI Joe / TF crossovers
    TF Evolutions

TF Evolutions, currently just Hearts of Steel, are "what if" type stories placing the TFs in different periods of history. Hearts of Steel was set during the time of the first steam engines, the time of John Henry the Iron driving man.
    The Devil's Due crossovers are set in a continuiy unto themselves and insanely fun because of the "no main continuity consequences" nature of them. The final one is currently being published.

I think that just about covers all the different continuites, apart from the odd lines and one shot comics:

Robot Masters - had some CGI OVAs and a small storyline. Supposed to be in G1, with the others journeying across time and space.
    TF Binaltech - set in a pseudo-G1 continuity, during the run up to the movie. The story was published in chapters with each new Binaltech release. The villain of this one was none other than Beast Wars Ravage, reborn in a Binaltech body, hell bent on changing the future - his past - by allowing Unicron to destroy Cybertron by removing Megatron from the timeline, then restoring Megatron to destroy whatever remained of the Autobots.
    Because of the cancellation of Binaltech by Takara, this would never come to a conclusion.
    TF Kissplay - the new continuity for the Japanese Alternator line, let's just not go there.

The rest - Machine Wars, Classics, etc. don't have stories beyond what is printed on the boxes, although Classics will be getting comic space in the TF Club magazine in the future.

There's also the upcoming live action movie that will, of course, follow its own storyline.

I'm sure I've missed something, but this ought to be the lion's share of the different series, continuities and other stuff.

13. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    look again, I included IDW BW as part of Universe. And I consider Rebirth part of Season 3 by default

As for the other 2, yeah I did forget them, but I'm not sure about the relevance ;) 

In addition to the KP Radio show, the Binaltech storyline was told on the cards and instruction books that came with the figures. It takes place between Season 2 and 3 (and crosses over into the movie between Wheeljack and Skids)

14. flamepanther

That's not really standard though. Without Rebirth, season 3 goes on to Headmasters et al, and IIRC the DVD sets consider it "season four". As for IDW Beast Wars... I dunno, I'd say it's more a direct extension of the Beast Wars show. Considering its scope, almost anything could be considered part of Universe, so you gotta draw the line somewhere. My understanding of Hasbro's position is that Universe is anything that focuses primarily on non-main-line toys. E.g. store exclusive RiD stuff, Botcon exclusives, specifically Universe branded stuff, etc. Almost all of the characters in IDW's BW comics were released in the mainstream BW toy line, save Magmatron, who was a Target exclusive, and LioConvoy, who was an import. They're just going back and making up for what the show neglected.

15. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Well...Huh, guess I have some catching up to do here..