Transformer Repair????

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ExtremeGz, May 16, 2008.

1. ExtremeGz

ExtremeGz Autobot/Decepticon Spy

Ebay:
    Hello again fellow transformers fans...

extremegz here...just wondering how difficult it is to repair G1 and G2 transformers. I see alot of the really nice looking G1's on ebay and on other auctions sites but I kind of just want to "try it on my own" instead of buying from some other person who purchases the lesser condition figures and then flips them like my friend does his houses...well, maybe not recently but it went really well for him a few years ago. Anyways, my first patch work experiment is on a few cassettes....you know...start easy then work my way up.

Does anyone have any advice on cleaning, light sanding, painting diecast, and maybe redoing the chrome? stickers are pretty easy...just slap on some reprolabels. But the other stuff is I guess kind of "trial and error" for some, but I ain't got that kind of $ to keep messing up.

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated! Oh, and if this is already posted in another thread..then I am truely sorry, I just couldn't find it....or, maybe I am just too lazy to dig through them....hehe!

thanks again,

ExtremeGz

2. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but there are a lot of good tips in the Radicons customs tutorial section of this site.

Try going here.

There's great stuff about painting, finishing and doing just about anything you want to a toy in this thread!

Hope you find this helpful! :thumb 

3. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

part of the real fun is to repair g1/g2 bots, and most of them are not really that hard to do as long as you have the spare parts.

The not so much fun part is the cleaning, it takes ALOT of time to clean up the really nasty ones(especially the one with candy/coffee stains, also don't bother buying smoke damaged ones, those are impossible to clean)

Also, it's good to do some research before buying the parts, because most of the parts selling on ebay are the less useful parts. (like the beakless swoop) Also some of the parts can't be swapped because of the variations.

4. jrhudson

jrhudson Well-Known Member

Hello,
    So the link in the second post appears to be broken. Is there a thread on the TFW 2005 board that deals with the repair and maintenance of TF's? Whether it be tightening ball joints or working with G1 TF's.
    Thanks

5. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

aaaaah TF Surgery, my all time fav thing to do! :) 

I would suggest just starting specific threads based on your question. You'll get people with past experience to chime in that way.

6. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    The question you're replying to was asked almost a decade ago. The relevant one is the post above yours :) 

7. jrhudson

Hey gbm thanks for the helpful response. I was hesitating on that solution because i wasn't sure if there was a thread already in existence that compiled different best practices for maintenance and repairs. IMO a sticky thread should be created that has guides on accomplishing certain maintenance and repair tasks that have proved to work best. I though don't think I have enough experience to vet the content of such a "guide book" (probably need some more veteran then myself). Creating my own thread and updating the first post with good procedures may be necessary maybe..... after testing the procedures on my TF's first.

8. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

No prob man.

There IS a ton of stuff in the Radicon Customs section, I've used it a few times to read up on stuff before attempting anything.

Here's the table of contents:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/201900-table-contents.html

9. jrhudson

10. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

:) 

Awesome, enjoy! Hope it helps.