Transformer reissues on a budget.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Crimson Primus, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Crimson Primus

Crimson Primus Deceptinut

ok, I missed the bandwagon on TRU and Takara reissues...and am looking at acquiring some of the ones that I missed. But looking at prices of some of the ones that I had as a child are going more then the original without a box?!? (WTF AT TAKARA JAZZ??)

So I would like to know....why are the Takara ones more expensive then the US TRU Commemorative editions aside from just the import costs? I can get 2 TRU reissues for the price of one Takara release. Are there differences in molds aside form the standard fare like shorter smoke stacks on the convoy molds.

And finally which would you choose. Bite the bullet and get the Takara version.....or does not matter and get the TRU.

2. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I personally prefer the presentation of the Takara versions. Having said that, I only have 3 of them, as the Hasbro versions were cheaper to get.

3. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    The Takara versions were in a book shelf format. Good for displaying and the weapons were active (with springs and not modified for the 2" US toy laws".

So the presentation was better.

The TRU US versions are nice, you can get them out and put them back into the box, but the box sizes are inconsistent and you have the mold changes.

I don't have the Takara versions.... So anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd wait for the eventual re-releases of these, or wait until the movie hype dies down to purchase these.

4. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    I just love the look of the Takara versions.

5. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Most of the US ones were also bookstyle boxes, tusko.

The real reason that Takara ones go for more is that a lot of the US ones were modified to meet US safety laws. This meant that missles and guns were fattened up and/or elongated to exaggerated proportions, firing springs were removed, and chrome parts were often left unchromed since the chrome paint made them more brittle and prone to breakage. The Takara ones were by and large basically identical to the original releases, while the Hasbro ones rarely were. There was always more demand for the Takara ones, even when both were new. The good news (at the time) was that the Hasbro ones were major shelf warmers and you could find them on deep, deep clearance (I bought a Dirge for a dollar. Most could be had for around $10 or so). The bad news is that the real reissues, the Takara ones, sold out quickly and most started commanding premium prices almost immediately.

I still don't understand why certain ones like Prime go for more than a mint original vintage one though. Sometimes collectors have more money than sense I guess.

6. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Takara has more chrome too (some weapons), and stat cards! Too bad I can't read Japanese.

7. defstar

defstar Autobot...

I also missed the reissues the first time around (thankfully didn't miss the Soundwaves though)...the whole missile/spring thing doesn't matter to me as I keep mine MISB anyway...so I pursued the Habro versions mainly because of the lower price and now have about six of them so far...they look very nice displayed and if time and money allows I'll move on to the Takaras...

I would choose the Hasbro versions...

8. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Yeah I'd go Hasbros as well. I like the Takara ones but for my budget the Hasbro ones are just perfect. The only Takara ones I've got are ones who Hasbro haven't done (Insecticons, Kup, Blaster etc.). Although if anyone's got a cheap Takara Blitzwing... ;) 

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    despite not having chrome weapons, the hasbro reissue jazz is the one to get. he can actually stay in his car mode without flopping around, and stand straight in robot mode.

if you want cheap reissues, hop onboard the encore line.

10. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Personally I bought both. But prefer the Takara ones by far. They are numbered and look really impressive when displayed all together 0-21. I can't begin to explain how much I love these. I wish they would continue like this. Ta hell with the encore series. Still bought those though. LOL.

ToysRUs ones fill in some of the gaps, like Grapple, Hoist and Red Alert. As well as the Seakers, Dirge, Skywarp, & Thundercraker.

An trick about the seakers, if you hate the extended missles as much as I do, all you got to do is buy vintage missles and put them on in the new toysrus ones. They fit and click in perfectly. And the bots look smack on to the orginals.

11. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I have the Takara ones and I love them , I might be going after the TRU aswell , but thats just because Im a G1 nutter.

12. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Get what you want and/or what you can for the price. Hasbro if you can. Always cheaper.

There's a new line of high-quality knockoffs going around of some of the more sought after figures (Mirage, Sunstreaker, etc.) that will never be reissued. They come in G1 Style boxes and usually go for about $70.

13. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Takara's art is superior to hasbro's on the packaging, but i miss understandable techspecs/bio's on the boxes. I also like the fact that they're unmodified.... but with that said they are just too expensive - at least usually they are. I grab 'em if I find 'em on sale or at a bargain price, but else I keep to hasbro with their bio/tech's.
    I just purchased TRU com. Sideswipe & Silverstreak misb for $34.99 each "on sale" on ebay... else they're around $45-50 each.

14. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I have a less is more mentality these days. Better to have one higher quality or better presented item than two lesser items.

15. Rend

Rend Decepticreep Killer

To answer your question: If you're on a budget go with the Hasbro Reissues. I have most of them MISB, and even though there are slight differences they are still molded from the G1 molds. The only differences that you will notice are the missles being lengthend and some items like Prime's stacks being shortened for US safety codes. These are minor differences from the original G1s that I owned back in the 80s. These are not all book style packaged, BUT most of them that aren't come in packaging very close to their original G1 packaging from the 80s ( I think this is a plus because I like nostalgia).

Yes, the Takara reissues are the closest thing that you will get to an original G1 because Japan didn't have to conform to US safety codes. So hence they could produce Prime with original stacks, and provide realistic sized weapontry. I don't currently own all of the Takara reissues, but I am a MISB collector so it's been tough getting MISB of this collection. These are all book style packaged so most of the boxes are the same height and width, but some of the thicknesses vary. They do come with some extras like a binder with stat cards, etc.., but I don't really care about that crap. I'm concerned with rebuilding my G1 Season 1 & 2 collection.

The only downside to these 2 collections is the fact that neither of them has the same bots in each collection. An example would be that you won't get a Ultra Magnus in the Takara reissue set, or the Seeker Jet set. In the Hasbro version you won't get certain bots like the Insecticons, or the Minibots. It's really a trade-off, and hard to not collect both sets.

In conclusion, if you're on a budget go with the Hasbro reissues, but if you can afford a little more I'd recommend collecting both because each set compliments the other. ;) 

Hope this helps.

16. Darth Fitch

Darth Fitch Herald of Golobulus

The Takara releases had a lot more love put into them. IE the booklet inserts in each one where Hasbro had nothing. Also you can't forget the MEGA typo on the Hasbro reissue of Grapple.

Auotbot Grapple! Woo Hoo!

17. Crimson Primus

Crimson Primus Deceptinut

I especially like the insecticons with their little energon cubes..cubes.

18. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Actually, Takara did reissue Ultra Magnus, but not in the bookstyle reissues. Then again, Hasbro didn't reissue Magnus in a bookstyle either.

19. Rend

Rend Decepticreep Killer

I was refering to the Takara Book Reissues, and I never said that Hasbro released a book style UM. I was implying that you will not get UM in a bookstyle Takara reissue, but you will get UM in the Hasbro reissue in a box that mimics the old G1 style box from the 80s.

20. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

And from Takara as well. I've seen the box.