Transformer movie marketing for kids criticized

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Foster, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

It's not the FTC itself, it's a parent's advocacy group that's pushing the FTC to their whims. The FTC itself seems sort of 'meh' on this whole concept, as they should be.

As pointed out by the "tampon commercials during my cartoons" guy, the commercials aired during cartoons aren't just for the kids, they also target the parents who should be paying attention to what their kids are watching. So as they show these commercials, Daddy sees it, thinks it's cool and wants to bring his little boy to see it too. And there's a real easy way for Parents to reduce the amound of commecials their kids see, turn off the TV and get their kid do something else. These commecials aired during "Fairly Odd Parents and Jimmy Neutron" according to the official report, which are shows that kids as young as 2 *may* watch. But those shows weren't intended for kids that young in the first place, so the commercials weren't THAT out of place imo. It's not like they were showing it during Dora or Barney or whatever, as those shows ARE made for 2 year olds.

The same kids who watch the Fairly Odd Parents and Jimmy Neutron are the same kids who watch Avatar(it's even on the same network) and Power Rangers, both shows have just as much drama and violence as the TF movie(though certainly less sexual content).

This is less a Transformers issue and more of a "nosey 'soccer moms' blaming everything else for life's problems" issue. It happens more and more and everything else gets demonized by parents groups when the problem could easily be solved by just *being* parents. It's the whole 'voice of the few telling the many what to do' that just pisses people off.

The movie's target audience was that all important 13-30 age group where most movie viewers fall into. Hasbro's target audience for the toys was the same 3-11 age group they always go after. Though they may be based on the movie, the toyline itself is a totally different thing that can last independent of the film (which is seen by the fact that 6 months after the film came out the toys are *still* selling out all over).

[​IMG]

2. PunkyBrew

PunkyBrew Active Member

Holy flashback Batman! I actually remember the commerical for that, that was cool!

This whole thing is people trying to censor the media because there are more then a few parents, who shouldent even BE parents, that don't care about what their kids do/see/hear. I would love for my nephew to see the movie, but because of that damn masterbation joke, which I think should have NOT been in the film, he won't untill after the 5th movie comes out. Which sucks.

Reminds me of the Simpsons ep with Ned Flanders parents; "We tried nothing and we're all outta ideas." I hate seeing parents like that. Ya had kids, TAKE CARE OF THEM!

3. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    This is one of those things that is up to the individual parents, and how well they feel their kids have an idea about what is real, what is fake, what is right , what is wrong etc. Bay's Transformers has a lot of big explosions, bit of language and no nudity and is pretty cartoony in the long run.
    I had no problem taking my young daughter who watches Transformers cartoons with me after already veiwing it once. I was prepared to walk out if she got scared, but she loved it. That said she was supervised and her ears were plugged a couple times:sly: 
    As an example of something I think kids would have a lot more trouble with I present Star Wars Episode 3. Anakin Skywalker almost burning to death is a very frightening, confusing scene for younger kids who watched the Clone Wars cartoon and don't understand why Anakin and Obi were fighting. I have yet to allow my daughter to watch that and probably wont for years to come.
    Many parents have a good handle on what their kids should and shouldn't watch. Not every kid is the same, and some kids react to certain things differently than others. Bay's Transformers with the exception of a bit of toilet humor is very like the old and new cartoons. As long as the kids know its make believe and it doesn't frighten them they will be fine. But it is for each parent to decide what is right for their kids, within reason of course.

As for the toys being marketed at two years olds, well they do have those cyberslammers and Softimus Primes out there, not that those are going to corrupt any children. If nothing else parents should be able to tell if the movie is for their kid by the rating and by using their brain, not a toy commercial.

4. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ummm, Transformers is basically a toy commercial, so take that you parental bastards!!!

5. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anyone who takes a two year old to a movie that doesn't involve talking cartoon animals or cgi chipmunks needs a boot in butt.

Most of the "risque" humor in the movie, to me, would be over the head of most kids below 10. I mean, Shrek (pic one) had waaay more suggestive themes and was stll targeted to kids.

And as for the line in the movie involving the atc talking to Blackout, through 4 years and two year long deployments I have never heard ANYONE say the word "kill" over the radio. I've heard f**k a couple of times, but that's mainly from pvts and a couple of stressed sgts. "open fire" would have sounded more natural to me, but as it's been said a hundred times before, it's just a movie and not every thing is gonna be perfect.

6. autoWHAT

autoWHAT Well-Known Member

the last episode of animated
    don't tell me you missed that part

7. Galvatron_Sama

Galvatron_Sama Well-Known Member

If I was a parent, I wouldnt allow an infant to hear/watch pg13-R rated movies.

8. PowermasterJazz

PowermasterJazz Well-Known Member

I don't think kids should be watching television at all. They should go outside and play with all that damn noise. It's bad enough we can't whoop 'em, we also gotta watch their damn pokemon cartoons. Oh wait, I don't have kids. Whew, what a relief!

9. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Dear FTC,

Quit being whiny little sissies.

Sincerely, Eric

10. Freyabeads

Freyabeads TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yet again there is no need for parents to guide their young...they can just lay the blame elsewhere. Anyone who saw the previews on TV would have seen it could be big and scary fighting and loud noises for a child.
    A 2 year old or any young child would (I sure hope) be accompanied by an adult. At what point do we as a society take responsibility for our own actions.
    If I am stoopid enough to cut my hedges with a full size gas lawnmower and cut off my fingers, it is not the maker of the lawnmower who is at fault...it would make me the knucklehead.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  11. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    God forbid parents actually do their job AS PARENTS! I guess they just let 2 year-olds go to the movies and buy their tickets on their own now.

Oh, and those bringing up "left" and "right"...borderline political there. Just relax that kind of posting (as articulate as they were, very nice) so this thread doesn't get locked by a mod. I'm sure others would like to chime in with their 2 cents here.

12. PunkyBrew

PunkyBrew Active Member

...I dident even catch that.

You sure someone dident just make that as a joke?

Thats kinda disturbing.

Like fan-fic level of disturbing.

I just shuddered and said; "Ebalbalabla!"

13. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

Seema kind of "after the fact" to do anything about it NOW.

14. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

hey man, sheesh get it right, It's condoms in a commercial :gen069: , and it's not the condoms
    it's the theme of the commercial, for one it's a stupid ass commercial and the song
    is annoying...:redface2: 

like that Scion commercial I don't know how many had seen it that had those stupid
    "Deviants" in it, but they were chasing lamb people and ripping and biting their
    heads off :confused: , I don't know about you but these people are the ones with
    issues. It's a car commercial not a Nightmare on Elm Street movie (altough the cars are
    quite horrific), It only aired twice that I had seen (in the same night) but it was enough
    to see it and go WTF?.

And I really hate the annoying "TRUTH" commercials, People smoke, they know it
    kills them, it's their choice to do so, and like this issue.... IT"S THEIR CHOICE!!

How did we ever get by before in life before they came along?, I praise you oh
    omniscient people with no clue, for leading me to the gates of eternal salvation, and as
    we fall into our peaceful fiery Abyss let us reflect on how we could not choose for
    ourselves.:bowdown: , we hail you Kings and Queens of Lemmings. :drunk 

15. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

So now it´s Prowl, not Tracks that has other prefenrences..lol

16. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    thats not as bad as Punisher or Aliens 3 toys.

17. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:

That was a quote from a newspaper review.

18. Tman978

Tman978 CHILL REVIEWER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Oh shit. My 9 yr old asked me what masturbating was because of this movie. I cant lie. This and other movies have kid marketing even though it's not a small child's movie. I will be honest though, there's nothing in the movie that bad that kids cant watch it.

19. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Didn't read all 8 pages, sorry. What gets me is they act like this is a brand new franchise, that it's never been a, oh, wait, CARTOON!!! for the last 20 years. It's always been marketed to kids. They want to sell, oh I don't know, TOYS! Some people just need to learn to STFU. That's my $.02.

20. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If it is that big of a deal parents should pay a little more attention to the PG-13 when the commercials play, or at the beginning of the movie.

Just say it's something grown-ups do. And if he asks again say you will tell him when he's older. Of course a 9 yr old could probably just google it later lol. Though the same thing happened when I was in the theaters, a little girl asked her mom "what is masterbating?" She was sitting in front of me. I loled. Then again when I was 9 I would have googled(if there was google back then) "master baiting" and probably thought it had something to do with fishing.