Customs: Transformer Heads and Balljoints - how to carve out socket?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by reillyd, Aug 10, 2005.

1. reillyd

reillyd Well-Known Member

I'm doing one of my first kitbashes. Taking a Actionmaster Bumblebee head, and placing it on Energon Hot Shot to make Energon Bumblebee (and yes I have seen someone do this before -- sizewize it fits well). Only problem is that Hot Shot has one of those ball-joint/sockets to connect the head to the neck (similiar to those used on other Energon toys eg Rodimus/Prowl). And actionmaster bumblebee does not.

What is the best way to carve out a socket? I don't want to mess it up, as I only have the one bumblebee head to work with. Carving knife? Drill? What do people use for this type of work?

2. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

I think that most of us would use pre existing ball and socket joints from another kit rather than trying to carve one from scratch. Basic Gundam model kits are a really good source for this, and depending where you go, they can be relatively inexspensive.

3. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

perhaps you are looking at it the wron way, istead of manipulating bbs head why not alter hs neck, you could use a small hindge joint glued i=on the neck connecting the head to creat mobility and the capability for the heat to fold in just like hs already does, if that didnt make sence pm me

4. reillyd

reillyd Well-Known Member

No that makes a lot more sense than altering the head. The neck would be much easier. Thanks for the advice!