Transformer gifts?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by skiss, May 26, 2010.

1. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Like the title says. I want to know how much your significant other supports your hobby of collecting or someone other then your significant other.

So the other day my g/f and I are goofing off and she pulls out an art project she had done for college. Its a huge slab of rock with transformer logos on it that she literally did in a few hours.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am stoked about it and even plan on painting it in much more detail if she lets me. How much support do you guys or gals get in your hobby? And if so how often? This is the first time anyone has gotten me anything TF related so it really makes me feel like a kid again and its my B-day.

2. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Mine is pretty supportive. Has bought me a few items. ROTF Leader Megatron, Ice Cream Twins TFA Cybertron Ratchet.

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Don't have a significant other, but I do have an older brother who's into TFs -- and therefore got me hooked onto them -- who gets me TFs for my birthday and for Christmas, and I do the same for him.

4. Mykamusprime

Mykamusprime Well-Known Member

My wife got me a blue reversible hoodie with an Autobot symbol from Hot Topic.

5. Kalel

Kalel C-Mac

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    mine is great she has brought me quite a few figures and lets me buy the ones i really want, when we can afford them :D 

6. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    My wife bought me a 25th anniversary Prime for our 1st anniversary back in '04. She's also gotten me a few MOTU, marvel legends, alternators and some KO's I asked for over the years. She even let me make a custom Superman and Lois cake topper for our wedding cake! She's awesome!

7. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

My sister and parents are fin with iit. I even managed to get my sister into Transformers for a while.

8. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

Well, when my GF asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I told her I'd like to get a good, but inexpensive digital camera.

So as a late Valentine's day gift, she got me the ROTF Autobot Symbol digital camera.

It took me a bit to learn how to use it (my 1st digital cam.). Though it does work, I'm still having trouble getting good quality pics.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lol, I was the same way with my digital camera. I am actually still very amateur with it. Just keep playing with it and you will find a setting that works for you.

10. Autobot-Girl

Autobot-Girl is possibly insane

I would say so! XD
    I met my boyfriend Sageo'G-fruit on this site! :lol 

11. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I posted this in its own thread, but nobody read it. :p  It's a great story though.

Last month I stumbled across Peaugh’s review for iGear’s “Faith Leader” mini version of MP Optimus Prime. I pretty much fell in love, and the pictures were also lust-worthy. In fact, I promptly informed my girlfriend, who is also a Transformers enthusiast, and told her that I was thinking about getting it from edbomber, as a birthday present to myself.

It was at this point that she decided that SHE wanted to get it for me as a present. But she ran into two obstacles: money, and not knowing how to contact edbomber. She solved those problems by talking to another collector friend of mine, who went in halfsies with her on the gift and could plausibly be looking for the figure for himself. So my friend contacts me asking for edbomber’s info, which I gave to him. Then my girlfriend contacts edbomber and tells him that she wants to buy me the toy, and to keep her informed on whether I was buying it or not! I elected not to, which edbomber relayed to her, and they bought the figure.

My girlfriend lives several states away, but she came to live with me for the summer a week after my birthday. In order to pull this off, she enlisted my roommate into the conspiracy. Again, she ran into problems: I get the mail at our apartment, and she didn’t know how to contact my roommate. So she asks me to tell him to check his Facebook and friend her…I assumed she was just sick of waiting for him to check his Facebook. So she got him to agree to hide the package in his room till she got there. Then, she asked edbomber to use his name instead of his website’s name on the package. So that also flew under my radar.

Thus it came to pass that on my girlfriend’s first night in the apartment, they pulled a Faith Leader out of my roommate’s room…my girlfriend, her mother, my roommate, and his girlfriend, ALL of whom were in on this little caper.

It’s an awesome toy, but it’s an even better story. And even better friends!

I love my girlfriend. ☺

P.S. I wound up getting that birthday present to myself before I knew about this…an Ultra Magnus with City Commander armor. These guys look amazing together (pics later).

12. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    My parents are pretty cool wit it.

Bought me about 405% of my collection.

13. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't understand why people are so obsessed with having their partners / family be "supportive" of their hobby. Can someone explain it to me?

14. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I think it's more about being interested in hearing about loved ones supporting their hobby when the cliche is the girlfriend/family member that tries to get them to give up the kids toys.

As for myself my better half is very supportive. Every so often I'll get a call while she's at Target asking if there's anything I'm needing. She tried surprising me once and got a toy I already had so she checks from now on first.

15. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

Omegus is right. It's the same as going to model train shows (Lionel/O-Scale rocks!) and seeing adult collector/operators and dealers with their spouses at the event. Growing up near an active railroad line, this love comes naturally to me, but I'd never expect it out of a girlfriend/wife, or parents for that matter.

Should I get my own (hopefully large) place, I hope to build a layout compatible to Transformer and train alike, complete with a spring loaded "broken bridge" that will launch vehicles with the minimum weight of a Stunticon over the track. (Did I forget to mention that I have the Corgi versions of the General Lee and K.I.T.T.? They're size-consistent with G1 Hot Rod, Kup, & RiD Mach Alert/Prowl.)
    To have something (room-devouring) like that in your house would demand the support of a spouse, especially when she/he could just as easily use that space as a guest room, or for her/his own hobbies/interests.

16. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

405%? Man, that's a lot!

My wife bought me Autobot and Decepticon cufflinks to wear at our wedding.

17. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Anguirus, I read your story.

My ex fiancee bought me a set of 33 G2 toys and an oversized Bruticus for one birthday. Insisted I have a room for my collection when we lived together.