Transformer: EXILES Discussion.

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by soundwaverulls, Oct 29, 2011.

1. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

This is a thread where you can state your opinion on and talk about the "Transformers: Exiles" novel. Obviously there will be massive spoilers for the Exiles novel. If I missed a thread already like this I'm sorry and please lock this thread.

My Opinion on the novel.
    I personally thought the novel was OK but not as good as its predecessor "Transformers: Exodus". Exodus informed us of what Cybertron was like before the Great War. Until then we could only guess it was similar to modern USA. Exile, on the other hand tells us about two planets with unique cultures which most fans would already know about. While on Velocitron, the entire story was centered around almost one place. It seemed as if the whole planet only contained that hanger and a few race tracks. One reason seems to be because the whole planet actually only contained that hanger and a few race tracks (with a couple of other places). This, IMO, greatly took away from the book. Junkion was a bit more interesting.

The plots were generally not catching to me. I almost immediately predicted 777 was Hound merely based on the amount of development he got. I did not entirely see Makeshift coming but the thought did cross my mind. I thought that one reason why Hound would be the traitor was he seemed like the most likely to be a rival to Prowl. Prowl was a logical thinker who is a trained detective while Hound was a tracker so it would be logical that he would know how to cover his tracks and could always rely on his instincts. IMO it was a disappointment that it was Makeshift disguised as Hound as it lost the possibility of rivalry.

The Star Saber plot never really caught me and when it became a gateway it was almost immediately dropped along with Vector Prime.
    In Exodus, the entire second half of the novel was dedicated to battles while only the last few chapters in Exiles were. Those where the only parts that ever really got my attention. There was the mystery of who arrived to Velocitron when Decepticon arrived after (as far as we knew) they had already arrived. This, sadly, was dumped when Megatron randomly mentions that he had heard that Velocitron recently had a run in with pirates. This only became interesting again during the last few chapters as well.

I did like the last Chapters. The Decepticon invasion was a good part in my opinion with high stakes. Once we found out about how powerful the Requiem Blaster was, the story became far more interesting. I also found Axer quite interesting with his sub story and I started to like his character. I also found the pirates a bit interesting once we actually started to find out about them. I also found the Junkions a bit interesting. We did know about their culture and that took away a bit. I found it interesting how they barely cared about life and they would keep working with almost no care for who was in danger or even if there was a mysterious ship appearing. Their entire planet was ripped apart and they just got straight back to work rebuilding it as if it was just a minor delay.

It will be interesting to find out how the pirates, Junkions and the Requiem Blaster play out in Transformer: Prime (if at all). After this novel, I really could not give a shit about Velocitron and its problems. At one point I wondered how a person who can turn into almost anyone like Makeshift would play out in Prime only to remember he already was and was just a one off villain who died in the same episode he was introduced in.

2. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I’ll admit, I didn’t know what to expect while getting into these books, but I half expected them to be more along the lines of a G1 prequel that would eventually catch up to and surpass the stories of old fixing its disjointed and contradictory stories of old with liberties being taken here and there though with restraints. Exodus and Exiles is a completely overhauled origin tale, which I found a little disappointing. Rather than coming up with a way to make all past works work in a cohesive story, Alex went to zero and barrowed a few things from stories of old.

I’m not a big fan of the 13 Primes or their godly weapons. Why are they so important now? I feel they diminish Optimus’ greatness as much as Megatronous does to Megatron—these giants didn’t need predecessors to set them up, at least not in the way they’re being set up now. What was wrong with showing Optimus and Megatron learn from their successes and failures without godly interventions or the like? Why did we need a Requiem Blaster, Star Saber, Cyber Caliber or any other ancient random godly instrument? What was wrong with just using the Matrix of Leadership?

I didn’t care much for the mention of Six Lasers of Cybertron or Maccadums—did these places really need a shot out? Cybertronians sitting at a bar chugging down oil did seem pretty weird to me. I know this has been seen before in cartoons/comics before, but I never cared for it in those mediums either. The whole use of oil just makes me think of the Transformers as machines. Why are aliens drinking oil anyway, why couldn’t they drink something else? What was wrong with Energon, they only need the stuff to live.

I also care much for Alphatrion or his quill; this is not how I remember him or see him. And I really hated the pirates, sorry. Velocitron was different (boring) and Junkion was different too (interesting, I guess) though I kept wondering why it was a spherical. Just when I thought Alex was going to turn it into the planet we all know from the movies, he puts it back together:( 

Alex’s portrayal of the Transformers was different from what I expected. I didn’t hate the stories he told—I disagree/dislike parts of them, but I did have fun reading them. I agree with your assessment of the two books, they were indeed okay.

3. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    What i hope really happened to Makeshift in Prime:

-Surviving both the explosion and the fall from the nemesis (due to some stroke of luck and his unique body) he managed to drag himself out of wherever he landed and managed to come across Arcee or Bulkhead while on a clean-up mission. He managed to subdue her/him with his unique ability, put her/him in stasis lock and buried her in the forest floor. After taking her/his form he decided to scan her/his memories so he didn't make the same mistake with Wheeljack. However this combined with his extensive damage caused her memories to mostly override his leaving him with her memories and personality. However a very small portion of Makeshift remains in the corner of his/her/its mind. If this is true it would be revealed in season 2.

OR

Same thing but Decepticon clean-up party and he became Steve

4. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

That could make an interesting episode or story arc. Although it might feel a bit like Out Of His Head.

5. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    Oh, I'm sure Makeshift would have a FUN time if he morphed into Arcee's form, if you know what I mean. :lol 

6. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    :lolol 

7. sued1234

sued1234 Banned

I plan on buying this book for my dad, that way I get to read it too.

8. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    I'm tempted to get this book, but also not tempted.

9. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Seeing the Videogame timeline and hearing about a new Transformer novel has given me some new thoughts...

I wonder when Amazon will let the cat out of the bag over the new Transformers Novel Author will it be Scott Ciencin, or Russell Davis (David Cian) again. Hopefully not Alan Dean Foster as he'd only be doing it for the cash and never seems to give a fig most of the time about licensed fiction he writes at times.

I also wonder if we will ever get a Transformers Novel explicitly in the Prime Universe or if they will keep picking a point in time they can put across as shared with the greater continuity of the TV show & Games and Hasbro's Aaron Archer's own musing the subject.

For example the whole Unicron's defeat and the story of the Prime's there seems enough content there to expend it further or continue what has been written.

But that time line has had me thinking that perhaps they might stick in a Journey Period and have a lot more wondering around before they finally get to Earth.

If they do a lot of wondering around it does make me wonder what makes them settle on Earth that's a story that we have yet to get in Transformers Prime or in a novel or comic so perhaps in the midst of Bumblebee and other stories they may tell they might eventually tell an arrival tale someplace on the Prime show or elsewhere.

10. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I didn't really want to make my own thread and this seems like the best thread already created to discuss Exiles.

I had gotten Exodus nearly right away and enjoyed it, but Exiles really eluded me until I finally managed to pick up a copy last weekend.

Overall I felt it was pretty flat.

While Exodus took several threads and weaved them together into a story about ideologies, Exiles seems more akin to Optimus' space road trip. Megatron and the Decepticons were a vague boogeyman for most of the novel and once they do show up, not much really happens in terms of Autobot/Decepticon interactions. They also seemed to have completely dropped the entire story plot from Exodus about Dark Energon. Once again we get a setup for a story about how Megatron went from trying to cause social change to being a "Peace Through My Tyranny" character without seeing all the steps of that fall. We had his growth in power, his feeling betrayed, his control of his power, then suddenly he's a power hungry tyrant. We're missing a few steps there.

Alpha Trions ramblings was a nice attempt to try to keep the theme they were going for, about history repeating itself but instead felt very forced to me. Similarly, one has to wonder what the point of Vector Prime's sequence was other then the cameo.

I won't get into the emphasis on the relics, save for it's a recurring problem with this franchise, if it's not Unicron, it's uber-weapon MacGuffins.

While I could see the others becoming Nexus Prime, Clockers inclusion in the group felt way out of place; like they robbed the one Velocitronian who was growing and joined the Autobot cause of any further character growth. Speaking of Nexus Prime, what are his weapons? The author seems to give him a collection of swords. Cyber Caliber, Star Saber, Chaos Edge, Omniblade, and who knows what else.

Finally, I can't help but scratch my head and wonder why on Thundertron? To give him "The Tidal Wave" as his ship, to give him known TF's as a crew, why create Thundertron? At first, given the description I was thinking Snarl (Cybertron) - Transformers Wiki who could fit, but instead we get this entirely different bot for no reason at all. Why keep his identity a secret if it's going to be a brand new character? Why bother creating a brand new character? You've got Cannonball and the (far more interesting) Seacons from BWII that you could've used!

I did rather like this version of Junkion, all of it to be truthful. From the amalgamated Wrek-Gar, the speaking style, their culture, and Junkion itself. Velocitron and it's people weren't too far behind, but weren't really as interesting.

Also whereas Exodus felt like a great melting pot of prior Transformer series, Exiles felt like it was far more heavy on the Unicron Trilogy and G1, with little else really in there. Even Prowl lost much of his amalgamated nature to be quite G1-ish.

Lastly, as a side note, I kept seeing Axer as a redeco of Animated Oil Slick. Not exactly sure why, but I did and I like the idea.

Can't win them all I suppose. Still glad I got the book, but it felt like a let down after Exodus.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I call B.S with Ransack trying ot take Override's power.

Wouldn't it make more sense if it was Dirt Boss since he in the Cybertron series was so devoted in beating her. Ransack is more of a Meowth kinda bot anyways, plus it doens't seem like Crumplezone exists.

Overall I'd re-write the damn thign to make sense.

12. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    It is possible that this ISN'T Cybertron Ransack, or at least not directly the same.