Transformer Costume

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Blackabar, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Blackabar

Blackabar Miserable glitches...

Here's the costume I made for my 5 year old daughter this year:

YouTube - Transformer Halloween Costume 2008

It turned out much better than I had hoped. The leg pieces are attached to her shoes and shins, so it does not hamper her knee movement at all. The ankle attachment is strong foam (floor pads meant for a weight room), so there's a lot of movement there as well. She can run, jump, and climb stairs in them. The body is held in place with wide foam shoulder straps. There are headlights and tail lights. The headlights are wired to switches that she can easily reach in either mode. It survived trick-or-treat night, being worn at school, and a 1-1.5 mile (?) parade. It is a bit worn, but still works.

Cardboard, hot glue, Velcro, and magnets make almost anything possible.

Anyone else want to share?

2. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    Fantastic job!! :bay 

3. Incesticon

Incesticon WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

That is seriously incredible! Have you considered a job with Michael Bay?

4. llfalcon

llfalcon Well-Known Member

Wow, that's hilarious. From the title alone, never expected something that would transform. Great job. Bet she was a hit.

I posted this in a different thread yesterday so I'll just link there. This is my
    Starscream costume I made for halloween.

5. Alex5

Alex5 No Broken

"But I want to be a Princess Daddy"

"Shut up and get the pink car suit on..."

That is such a great costume, I remember when my Mum helped me make a Ghostbusters' proton pack out of a washing up powder box back in the day, great times

6. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Great job...cool stuff like that with the kids makes ya smile...

7. Incesticon

Incesticon WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB

Actually I really want to know how you made that so I can have a go. It's too late for Halloween but I'd probably just wear it round the house...

8. artoni

artoni Fangirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    THAT is adorable! *FLAIL*

I wore my Femricade wig and crown to work, but it was waaay too cold to wear the full outfit. Next year I'll have another one ready though so that'll be fun, though it's mostly being done for Cons...x3

9. Blackabar

Alex5-
    She and I had talked about and listed a lot of possible costumes. Princess was on the list, but in the end, she chose a “pink Autobot that transforms.” She likes Bumblebee, so I modeled the car mode after the minibot. A few kids have apparently commented that she has a ‘boy’ backpack (Animated Bumblebee), so I think her choice to be a girl transformer was a nice way to choose what she really wanted (Transformer) and still be a ‘girl.’
    She chose the name Chromia from one of the G1 episodes (The Search for Alpha Trion, I believe).

Incesticon-
    I kept meaning to take in-progress photos, but failed miserably. I'll try to take some photos that better show how it is made.

Something else she wanted me to add-
    She also does her karate kicks in them, but we tried to discourage that…a bit…at least until after the events she needed the costume for. She liked the idea of being a ninja robot similar to Nightbird, rather than a ranged combatant.

Sorry for starting a thread unnecessarily. I didn’t realize there was already a costume thread in progress. I should have searched before hand. I was kind of rushed at the time.

Thanks for all of the positive comments! I’ll pass them on to her.

10. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Lol its the child of arcee and bumblebee from the looks of it.Nice costume

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Great costume, simple and elegant.

12. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    Very cool. Did she get alot of compliments on it?

13. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The costume looks great, nice job :D 

14. Screambug

Screambug King of Transformers

PRECIOUS!:lol 

Hey, maybe someday we'll wear cars, so when it's time to go, we "get" into our cars and drive off.:wink: 

15. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Thats great bud.

16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Amazing job, totally surpassed my expectations. Now I want some blueprints

17. SuperMegs

SuperMegs Active Member

Aww, that's adorable! :D  Nice job.

18. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    That's awesome. Plain and simple.

19. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    that is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo amazing! Please share how you made it, as my son keep bug'n for me to make hum a TF costume.

20. Blackabar

Thanks again for the kind responses. My daughter enjoys knowing that people she doesn’t know are enjoying her costume.

I tried to take some pictures of the costume pieces to show better how it works, but I failed. The interiors are all sprayed with high-gloss black, which I am having a hard time getting to photograph clearly enough to demonstrate what’s going on.

I will run outline the process I went through.

-I wanted her to be able to transform comfortably, so I first came up with the idea of what position she should be in in car mode.
    -Sitting down seemed pretty comfortable. So, I had her sit in the ‘transformed’ position, and traced her silhouette on a piece of paper. I then drew the car outline on that drawing. I used this drawing to get the measurements for pieces.
    -I decided on a width for the vehicle based on her shoulder width.
    -To work out the actual transformation process and shapes of parts, I photographed her in profile in both ‘modes.’ Using a graphics program, I lined up the feet of both photos and used that image to work out where everything would go as she changed.
    -Originally, I planned to make the doors become shoulder armor, but later decided to make them wings to free up her arm movement.
    -When the pieces of the car were done, I basically had her sit in it and I traced more precisely where her body was. I made some shin guards of sorts that fit her legs and glued them inside the leg pieces.
    -Moving parts were accomplished with strips of Velcro used as hinges. I could have used fabric or real hinges, but the Velcro strips seemed light, very strong and not too floppy. They are the hinges that hold the doors on as well as the roof/chest piece.
    -To help her line up the pieces in car mode, I used rare earth magnets. I had several that held the leg parts together and the roof to the hood and backpack. Some also held the doors closed. Most were embedded into the card board, covered with paper and painted, but those on the wings are visible.
    -Velcro held the shin guards, and therefore the leg pieces, in place in addition to the backpack straps, arm guards, and helmet. It also held the wings back while in robot mode.
    -The helmet was very minimal for two reasons. First, it seems like masks don’t stay on long with kids. I would guess this is due to discomfort and decreased vision. Her helmet is simply a circle of Velcro (soft side in, naturally) with a strip of cardboard glued on forming the forehead, top, and back. The circles are also glued to the Velcro. Because it wasn’t a fully enclosed helmet, there was sufficient airflow so it never got hot. The second reason for the minimal head coverage was that her head had to fit through the back window for transformation.
    -A last minute change that made a lot of difference was the incorporation of her shoes into the costume. I was struggling with how to keep the leg pieces from turning around her legs and sliding down as she walked. I planned to have straps connecting them to her belt, but I knew that would look bad and hinder her movement. I glued a strip of foam cut from one of these mats-
    Set of 6 High-Impact Mats- Gray : Target- to the front of the shin guards to the tops of her shoes (summer shoes she will be grown out of by the time summer comes again). This kept the leg pieces facing forward and eliminated the sliding-down problem. It was also very flexible so she had full ankle movement. This foam does rip with a lot of stress, so I glued fabric or Velcro to the surface of the foam where I suspected it would begin to tear. This worked amazingly well.

The head/tail lights were small flash lights designed to clip to a hat. I wired the headlights to switches that were mounted on the inside of the leg pieces, where her hands were in car mode. She could reach them in either mode. She loved being able to control them herself. I didn't have time to wire the tail lights, unfortunately so they had to be turned on manually. There was no easy place for her to reach a switch on her backpack anyway...mmmmmaybe her shoulders.

I don’t have a lot of nice blueprints, just sketches. The suit was custom made to fit her body, so exact blueprints would probably have to be modified anyway for them to be of use to anyone.

I am certainly willing to scan some of my sketches if anyone is interested, although many changes were made from the sketch stage to the final construction stage.