Heavy/Scratch: Transformed: An Exercise in Lego

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by The Librarian, Sep 14, 2009.

1. The Librarian

The Librarian Well-Known Member

Transformed: An Exercise in Lego *Updated*

Sorry about the arty title. Just felt like it.

Well, I've no been active in Transfandom for a while now - couldn't get back into fan-fiction, lost enthusiasm for cgi stuff, severely annoyed at the current comic and film storylines etc - but this does not mean that my overriding urge to build transforming Lego models has diminished in the slightest. (This being the reason I got into TF fandom in the first place....well, actually it's to do with the Ladybird books that led into that and building crude Megatron and Soundwave...long story)

This being so, allow me to present my latest and (to my mind at least) best creations. They all transform without parts-swap except for the weaponry, which is incorporated to strengthen the vehicle modes.

In order:

Jazz: First one built, as ever. Made a hover car version a while back and someone said it'd be better if I found a way to do wheels. So I did.

Ironhide: Fragile but I liked the look I got. Mishmash of movie and G1, with a dash of a few other things (probably the Power Master version...).

Wheeljack: First time I've built the guy. It's the rarity of green bricks in my collection. He turned out extremely well, in my opinion.

Prowl: Basically an adapted version of the Jazz design, lengthened and adjusted for that SWAT guy look. Well, sort of. I'm pleased I managed to fit in the launchers and the gun.

Rack 'n Ruin: For two of my favorite characters, it's odd I've never built them before. Thought about it, never had enough green. So, did a bit of lateral thinking. My humble suggestion for the twins that could have been in the film and still sated Mr Bay's hunger for explosions. Wreck and rule, people!

Scalpel: Onto Decepticons, I thought he had a neat design so I tried to replicate it. Bear in mind that this guy is only about an inch and a half long when you consider his failure to be 'in disguise' in microscope mode.

Wreckage: Ok...like the way he looks, hate the actual model. It's back heavy and a pig to balance right. But I was running out of bricks when I made him, so there's no way around it. And I don't have time to do a complete rebuild. Well, not now...

As ever, there is more to come (I never build Lego-formers without having Starscream in there somewhere). Sorry for the delay but it takes a while to photograph foot-and-a-half long Lego jets. Til then, sorry about the rather large display images (thought it'd save on space) and enjoy! Oh, and, your thoughts?

*Update!*

Chromedome: Eh, I though it'd be fun to make him a Mini-type car with antennas all over the roof. Thought it fitted his character better than a sports car!

Arcee (Purple/Grey)/Chromia (Light Blue)/Nightracer (Dark Blue): Because I like 'em even if Mr Bay got bored and blew them to bits. Names picked as appropriate and at random. Colour schemes more or less happened as I went along.

Blackjack: Semi-mainline Micromaster updated for pun-tastic fun. I like the MTMTE profile and picture him as a tactician and voice of sanity among the Decepticon task-force on earth.

Oilslick: Um...there's that green dome piece...and he looks great in Animated form...I kind of had to. The chain was a last minute addition but it works. Chemical warfare and road-hogging for all!

That's all for tonight - more coming!

*Update 2*

Release the Insecticons! Not a lot to say about this lot - they're nothing particularly good, I just fancied adding Bombshell, Shrapnel and Kickback to the line up in some way. Quite pleased with the leg designs...

And then, finally...Seekers! Starscream and Thundercracker. Each over a foot tall in Robot mode and over a foot and a half long jet mode. Armed and articulated and a right nuisance to get standing up. They're really very heavy. But once they're posed right, they're also very much more stable than my first attempts at a Seeker on this scale. Incidentally, Thundercracker sort of started life as Skywarp but I usually do him, so I changed to TC for, well, a change.

And there, ladies and gentlebods, it is. Well, barring a few group shots and the scale shot with the kid/minifig. May do some combat shots later but not tonight...

Attached Files:

2. Ryotaro

Ryotaro FALCON PUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the Wheeljack!

3. wwoptimusprime

wwoptimusprime Till all are one

These are awsome!

4. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Good to see you back at it. Awesome work as always.

5. I AM MEGATRON

I AM MEGATRON pleasure model

these are amazing! love that wreckage

6. Crimsonthunder

Crimsonthunder Well-Known Member

That's...beautiful!!! Best legoformers EVER

7. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wreckage is NICE!
    So...um.....instructions? KThanxBai!

8. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    awesome legoformers, they all look really good

9. The Librarian

Thanks everyone!

It's possible. But it'll take a while and will depend on which models I take with me to University!

10. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

Amazing!

11. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Articulation-At Last!!!!

I like the way you did these because they look like Gn.1 bots,square bodies and limbs with just enough curves to give them shape and when transformed even better because there is no robot kibble whatsoever.Do you think sometime in the future you could post a basic how-to on building Lego-bots?

12. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

how big are these standing next to a minifig? not very lego fluent. :( 

13. Insecticons

Insecticons The different Kitbasher

I Hate you for these :D 
    They are Awesome!!
    Especially Scalpel and Wreckage!

14. robvega214

robvega214 Mp5_Brut

thats some pretty cool shyt

15. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Great work. Prowl and Wreckage are particularly good. The split chest on Prowl really makes it.

16. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    WOW! Do these actually transform too?

17. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is some impressive work to say the least. and i'm with the majority here, all are great, but wreckage really stands out.

Looking forward to see what else you got planned.

:thumb 

18. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

very cool, this is how they first worked out transforming way back in the 80s, shoji kawamori the guy who did "jetfire" STILL works like this today:

[​IMG]

19. Bort826TFWorld

Bort826TFWorld OOGA CHAKA

News Credits:
    Rack'N'Ruin! Thanks for the obscure characters!

20. The Librarian

Thank you everybody! Updates ahoy on the first page!

Well, I could try....not sure how I'd go about it though! Any suggestions?

Um, I'll get some scale shots done as soon as I've finished cataloging them.

Thank you. I was rather pleased when I worked that out for Jazz. A bit of movie aesthetic thrown in for good measure!

Absolutely! I never build a transformer that can't transform. Just no fun otherwise!

My friend, that has made my day! I really didn't know that and it's wonderful to see Lego there at the heart of the transforming-mecha world!

Remember, updates on the front page and more coming!